Thoughts on "Terra Nova"

Movie reviews and discussion.

Thoughts on "Terra Nova"

Postby Galaxia » Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 pm

I've started this little topic to ask what you guys thoughts are on Fox's upcoming TV series Terra Nova

The basic premise (ripped straight from Wikipedia because I'm lazy)is this

The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction. In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a portal allowing travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs.

The series is set to air during Fall of this year,with a two hour pilot scheduled in September 1st

Now aside from the basic idea and the fact dinosaurs are a regular sight on the show(if not they better have a good excuse for not having at least one episode,I mean it's set in the Cretaceous for crying out loud).It also features Stephen Lang who will be portraying a major character,you may remember him from Avatar.Now what your thoughts were on avatar aside I'm quite interested on how he'll play the role of Commander Frank Taylor.

Also on of the executive producers happens to be Steven Spielberg,hopefully he won't mess this up

However keeping in mind this is a mostly Spielberg series it comes no surprise there have been.. exaggerations concerning some of the dinosaurs,now since the pilot has yet to air this may be said otherwise in the show but apparently the Carnotaurus featured in the show is 3 tons,more so than the weight of the real animal(to be fair they were fairly close to the largest weight estimate),although to give them credit they got the length roughly right at 20-30 feet

Theres also,wait for it at least one fictional species of dinosaur(although so far only three species will be appearing in the pilot alone so we'll see what else comes when it hits our screens),the Acceraptor is this dinosaur,a theropod with colorful feathers that has...I can't believe they went with this,a blade on it's tail which it can move so fast it can(am I really going to say this?)slice through materials as hard as metal.

Image Updated image of the Acceraptor,now called a slasher in this full view poster

For some reason I'm not surprised Jack Horner was involved in creating it,one of the "geniuses" who did some consulting for JP3

To make matters more inaccurate it takes place 85 mya where as Carnotaurus for example would have been extinct for 6 million years at the least,now you could sort of let them of it's still in the Cretaceous after all,however they go ahead and put Brachiosaurus in there.
For those that don't know Brachiosaurus lived during the late Jurassic and would have died out approximately 60 million years before the show takes place,but as I've been told it's Fox not the BBC so as long as it rakes in the money they can be almost as inaccurate as they want

All this aside I'm really looking forward to this,the concept interests me, maybe because I'm a sucker for anything dinosaur related and I'm sure only people who are as interested in dinosaurs as I am will be a little annoyed by the errors,except for maybe the Acceraptor because well...a tail with a blade that cuts through metal?,really?

You can catch Terra Nova as a series around Fall though it is Fox so you may have to wait for it to be aired in other countries than America with the pilot airing on September 1st

You can post your thoughts on Terra Nova and see what others think about it

Clicking on this link will take you to a first look at the show so you can better understand what it's all about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc
Last edited by Galaxia on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Thoughts on "Terra Nova"

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Moving to General Movies...Which includes TV shows, by the way.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Hopeflower » Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Thay travel back in time 80 million years to establish a new civilization. And yet. 14.5 million years later all life is wiped from the face of the earth. Did they not think of this?

Not to mention the dinosaurs who would love to nom their faces. JURASSIC dinosaurs, in the Cretaceous period. And the "Acceraptor"? I cannot tell you how hard I laughed reading its description. Are they being serious? (Well then again it is FOX....stuffed so far up their own as*es that they wouldn't see common sense if it sat up and bit them in the jugular.)

As for the promo. The acting is mediocre at best. This....honestly isn't something I could sit through and take seriously. I might watch it for a laugh. But I probably couldn't sit through the full two hours.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 pm

TT:I was not aware of this thank you for changing it

HP:I suppose they weren't thinking in the long run,wouldn't it make more sense to settle at a time in which the KT or any pre Cenozoic mass extinction? I mean think about it no dinosaurs and no mass extinctions to worry about(none of the big five anyway),oh and about the brachiosaurus thing it gets weirder, apparently the one in the promo "befriends" the little girl,I'm not going to even say her name,thats all she is,the little girl of the show

FOX you maniacs!,and of course when they were designing that fictional theropod who thought it was a good idea to give Jack Horner the job of making it up? He ended up giving it a blade on it's tail that can slice through metal...METAL! The only way that could be possible is in 2149 their metal is somehow about a strong as paper mache
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 pm

You know, sometimes I want to slap Horner in the face. What the hell kind of name is "acceraptor"?

On the show: it never really interested me, surprisingly. I've seen so many crappy dino flicks I've kinda given up on the genre.
Last edited by Godzilla Forever on Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Galaxia » Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I myself regret the kind of state the genre is in at the moment,and speaking of Horner he still believes that t-rex was a full time scavenger despite evidence otherwise,but back to the topic Acceraptor is Latin for slashing thief so at least they have that excuse,also I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I just can't get my head around it,it's tail goes through metal?!!!! didn't Spielberg remember what Horner did the last time he put him in charge of something dinosaur related?
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby dinoman666 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

I feel like the dinosaur thing is all a gimmick to make the show appeal to more people. I highly doubt they'll show up for very much at ALL during the show itself after the pilot. The whole thing seems kind of like a joke...

As for Acceraptor, while it makes no sense, I'm not really very surprised. It's a TV show, not a scientific documentary. They're going to try and make it more exciting than informative. Even so, dinosaurs are heavily misunderstood to begin with (whenever people call Pteranodon "Pteradactyl," or Apatosaurus "Brontosaurus," I want to stab them in the jaw), so it's not exactly the best idea to make up fictional dinosaurs for a TV show...

G4E: What, you think Acceraptor is a weird name for a dinosaur? Have you ever heard of Piatnitzkysaurus? :P
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Galaxia » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 pm

They better not start throwing in something like....dare I say it dinosauroids(shudders)

And if they show no dinosaurs after the pilot like you say dino then the series would have dug it's own grave,period,dinosaurs are the only thing that will even give this series a chance of staying afloat
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby dinoman666 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm sure they'll have some. They HAVE to. They just won't have very many, to make room for the human characters and plot.

Because, you know, that's exactly what we want...

By the way, can you give me a link to the information of the dinosaurs? I can't find anything about them...
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Galaxia » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 am

I got most of the information from here http://terranova.wikia.com/wiki/Terra_Nova_Wiki how low I sunk just searching for this stuff
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrannosaurusRules! » Sun May 29, 2011 12:57 am

it sounds relativly interesting I'll give it a chance if it sinks then it sinks
Sand Claw
Gustav
Dire Howl
DRACUL DRAGO
TyrannosaurusRules!
House fly
House fly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 am

"Jack Horner is involved in its (Acceraptor) creation."

Aaaaand no one is surprised. Looking at his first fictional dinosaur (The godzilla-creature dubbed Spinosaurus in JP3), its no wonder he was behind this as well.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Galaxia » Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 am

Ah TT good to see you weren't one of the people "suckered in" to thinking spinosaurus was a predator of anything but fish and perhaps the odd small dinosaur,oh and you should see how this show "monsters resurrected" pictured it,as being able to fit a 30 ft(forget the species)theropod in it's mouth and lift it off the ground!(making it about 100 ft tall or something) I'm betting Horner had a hand in that as well but back to the topic at hand I'm really worried since Horner is on board he's going to make them include spinosaurus and make it a super predator,or even(they better not even dare)have it fight and kill a T-rex,the inaccuracy with dinosaurs that would have never seen each other in real life alone is enough for someone like me to cringe but if they dare have a spinosaurus in it and A:Be a super predator and or B: Have it fight and kill a T-rex I'm never even casting an eye on the series once it airs
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun May 29, 2011 2:16 pm

@ Galaxia: I was pissed when I read that Horner thought f*cking rexy was a scavenger and that Spino was a super predator. Look at their jaws: T-rex has like bone crushers, while spino looks more like a gavial's (or whatever that thing's called".

Anyways, sorry about that, the show could possibly be good, but I have my doubts. For all I know, the dinos probably won't appear much.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Galaxia » Sun May 29, 2011 4:42 pm

We'll just have to see won't we G4E?

On the spinosaurus note,it's mad that people believe this,bone crushing jaws were T-rex's specialty and if spino tried such a feat as biting large animals would have literally broken it's jaw and speaking of the gavial you mentioned t is real but gavial is one of it's many names heres a picture of it's skeleton

Image now thats a body designed for eating fish,slender jaws for fish catching not big game hunting and thats the same with spinosaurus
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby LV-426 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:31 am

this show is definitely going to be canceled after the first episode, I mean seriously. This is star gate but with dinosaurs, its so stupid
Get away from her you *****
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty
Were in the pipe five by five
They Mostly Come at Night Mostly

Aliens the most quotable movie Ever
LV-426
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Galaxia » Mon May 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Well we'll just have to wait and see what happens won't we?
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Return to General Movies