Jurassic World

Movie reviews and discussion.

Jurassic World

Postby LV-426 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Hey everybody,

It has been a very long time since I have been on this site, at least four years by my count.I saw Jurassic World for the second time yesterday and it reminded me of the site and how it's been such a long time since I have posted on here. Well I thought maybe I should share my thoughts on Jurassic World seeing as Jurassic Park is this site's bread and butter.

I loved the film which surprised me, after I watched the first teaser trailer I was unimpressed and was very worried that we were going into a generic monster movie territory. My biggest concern being the Indominous Rex and how it would play into the already established canon. But I was pleasantly surprised and I found that they kept the idea of genetic hybrids grounded in reality enough were I could buy it. I love the idea of a working Jurassic Park and have always wanted to see a park up and running, The film does a great job of exploring the concept. I loved Chris Pratt and while he is no Jeff Goldblum I thought he very much carried the movie for me.

Some negatives was the lack of practical effects and the other characters coming off as generic to me. But overall I found the film to be an enjoyable big budget B movie and I am very excited to see where this franchise goes.
Get away from her you *****
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty
Were in the pipe five by five
They Mostly Come at Night Mostly

Aliens the most quotable movie Ever
LV-426
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Same. At first I didn't particularly care for the Indominus beyond thinking she was too adorable to be scary. Truth be told, I still think she's so ugly she's cute. And I can't say I liked that half of the characters got zero development or the way Vic was so obviously a villain, but I can't deny it had the most satisfying ending I've seen in a long time. And they did their best to justify their monster acting like, well, a movie monster. That was more than the Spino in the last movie got.

They did leave a pretty big opening for a sequel, and word has it we're in for a Jurassic World 2 (or whatever they decide to call it) in a few years. So we'll see where there is to go from here. I just hope it doesn't involve the military using weaponized dinosaurs.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby LV-426 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:54 pm

I heard they might go for a planet of the apes kind of plot. Where they are going to have dinosaurs on the mainland and have humanity interacting with them. But at this point it's just a rumor so who knows.

One thing that this film lacked for me anyway was the magic of the first film. I know it would have been impossible to capture the same magic again but I felt the film lacked the Jurassic Park feel. The ending was very cool though
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty

LV-426
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby raptor titanus3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:12 am

*Spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen the movie and care about any potential plot spoilers read no further*

(I am also about to go amateur paleontologist and rant about Indominus and how it looks extremely Hollywood B movie monster material and an evolutionary dead-end)

Did anyone figure out Indominus had Raptor DNA before the big plot twist? Like was it physically obvious or behavior? Or were you caught off guard?

Physically I saw so little of Indominus when it wasn't in motion or fully in view but when I got a decent view I figured it was a blend of Large Apex Theropods like Carcharodontosaurus. There was hardly anything about the way it moved or anatomically appeared that suggested it had Dromaeosaur DNA. Behavior wise some habits seemed raptor-like like when it decloaked the first time in the film it seemed to emulate that weird raptor smugness they always seem to display when they have caught people unaware ala Muldoon and the case of the "Clever Girl". Still when they pulled the plot twist I had suspected they might pull something but I still grinned in pleasant surprise, and a small sense of vindication that one of my little theories proved correct, but maybe that's because the Raptors are my favorite Dinosaurs in all the films. Still Indominus is a bit lack-luster in design and I feel like the writer wasn't sure how to come up with a viable way to explain how a fully functional park could be brought down by one dinosaur without some kind of super power... or four.

Writer: 'Uhhhh T-Rex?'
Braintank: 'Too popular and if T-Rex has lived peacefully in an enclosure it would be unlikely to escape and there would be plenty of fail-safes'
Writer: 'Raptors?'
Braintank: 'Too obvious and same case with the Rex'
Writer: '... Spino?'
Braintank: 'Fossil evidence and if we do that again the fanbase will flay us alive'
Writer: '... OH Carcharodontosaurus!'
Braintank: 'Whats a cardiosaurus?'
Writer: 'Carcharodontosaurus; An Apex Theropod that WAS larger than T-Rex and we do have good fossil records'
Braintank: 'Too wordy, kids won't like it and we have merchandise to sell'

I imagine the writer and production heads going at it like this for a while before Indominus started to take shape.. And looking at Indominus her head it has a close resemblance to Carcharodontosaurus
http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/D ... rcharo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1ctHQnB.jpg
Body wise she looks like a bigger, meatier and, shorter-in-length Carcharodontosaurus but with more evolutionary designs flaws than a Kakapo. The large irregularly spaced and sized teeth are shaped like they are meant to puncture and hold prey but the jaw is remarkably small and the number and irregularly set teeth look horrendously inadequate.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2015 ... empire.jpg
Another fun note is that Indominus was supposed to have 72 teeth in its mouth... Thats a stretch I think.
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_ ... _72165.jpg
Now Indominus is supposed to be a combination of many Theropod species which does explain why she looks like a Theropod in most cases but not how she possess opposable thumbs. No dinosaur species, not even Dromaeosaurs possess a true opposable thumb. Some have suggested that this, and her incredibly long claws, comes from therizinosaurus. While another hypothosis about the opposable thumb is it comes from her tree frog DNA with certain tree fog frog species possessing opposable thumbs.

So take all of this and combine it with the plethora of DNA from different animals and you create something with so many holes in the laws of genetics and evolution that I have only the following to say: Thank god it's dead!
Final Opinion: http://img.ifcdn.com/images/74e2aa551ca ... 3932_1.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphot ... 5923_n.jpg
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Regarding her thumbs, I've heard it floating around that she had human DNA in her too. Which would again tear several holes in the laws of biology any way you slice it (not to mention brings up the question of human experimentation), but also goes a bit toward explaining her intelligence on top of the raptor DNA.

But to be honest, yeah, I did see some raptor in the shape of her skull. Very reminiscent of Deinonychus, if you ignore the horns (which I think were confirmed as being there because she had Carnotaurus in her). All in all she's ugly-cute, and she's kept us talking, which is excellent for the movie overall. Whether we loved or hated her, she helped Jurassic World become the third-highest grossing movie ever.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby LV-426 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:27 am

I wish they would have made that a part of the plot. Discovering that Ingen was using human dna would have been a great twist and a great example to show how shady the whole operation really was
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty

LV-426
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Return to General Movies