Cloverfield

Movie reviews and discussion.

Postby Anaclagon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:04 am

I still think Zilla would be better...I mean the TV series was great, but I need that special movie that makes Zilla like the Godzilla of Japan so it can be truely redeemed....really they need to make that second, super good Zilla movie.

Remember the Name
Anaclagon
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

Postby mega raptor » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 am

Regarding the whale monster, I've heard somewhere that it was de-bunked and the creature was fan-art. I'll see if I can track down a link somewhere.

Also, I've got Friday off, so I might get a chance to see this sometime on opening day...
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby dinoman666 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 am

Same here. And yes, that was just fan-art. It isn't the real monster. Someone just drew it as a guess.
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby TyrantTR » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:03 am

Well I belive they said the whale monster was close to the real thing. What else is giant and has parasites on it. As well there is the whole slusho legend thing.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Legendary Elite » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:00 am

I mean if it's a baby the story makes perfect sense. Wouldn't you feel somewhat confused when coming out of a place after years of resting or so called "hibernating" in sense. And realizing that you are alone and everyone thinks you're an outcast (well, in that sense, only the size of godzilla). You'd have no idea what was going on and in doing so get angry and lash out most likely or just run away.

This sounds like a good movie. They've done it the same way they did it with the American Godzilla movie when Zilla first landed on the big screen, you only saw bits of him, hardly his full body until towards the end. You saw a head here and there and most of the time his feet or tail go past the screen stomping on vehicles. This so-called "Whale" Monster is similiar with how you can't see him well enough but you can tell he's close due to the roaring and where the military is shooting and buildings collapsing etc.

I also wonder if it would become a Kaiju later on. Like in the godzilla Series, say it did, what faction would it be? Earth Defender I reckon.

Other than that, my first thoughts on the monster was also Zilla, it does in a way make sense. I mean I remember watching the first triailer and how the guy was going to Japan for a holiday. Japan, reference to Godzilla himself and all other Kaiju. But then again, the roar was different, Zilla was more of a higher pitched sound. But then the story would make more sense, the Zilla hatched like before and is now back to run rampant and possibly finish what his dad started and that is laying the eggs to make way for the race of Zillas. But still this is interesting. I look forward to this movie.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Its not Zilla, Abrams said that its an ORIGINAL monster, so please, get off the subject.

Its not the whale monster, they confirmed that is purely fanart.

So far, the concept art I linked was the closest thing to the monster WE THINK.

The first advanced screening started today, so by tommarrow, we should have some confirmation of the monster's appearence.
TyrannoTitan

Postby mega raptor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:52 am

You know, as I get deeper into the mythology of Cloverfield, all the viral websites, all the compelling clues, (for example, this one http://www.1-18-08.com/ . Look at the one with night vision and the ones showing sinking ships-they seem to imply that the military knew about the monster before the Cloverfield incident) plus some the Slusho and Tarugato websites (I dunno if I spelled Tarugato right, but the website mentions a mysterious incident involving an oil platform sinking a few thousand kilometers east of New York) the more interested in this movie I become.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Zephyr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 pm

wait so this movie has a sea monster

damn i really need to pay better attention...
Zephyr
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby TyrannoTitan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:51 pm

According to the advanced screenings, this is what Clover (The monster's unofficial name) looks like.

I like it 8)
TyrannoTitan

Postby Anaclagon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Looks ok...but it does not seem to match the monster that was shown when it passed through the buildings. To me it looked like more off a Zilla as it passed by, with the body and all but since its a ORIGINAL monster, i'll drop it :/ but I doub thtats the monster though...doesnt look right.

Remember the Name
Anaclagon
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

Postby mega raptor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Clover looks good, definately original, assuming that the pic is Clover, of course. I think that when the actual movie comes out Friday, we're all gonna be blown away though...

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 pm

The thing is, Anaclagon, if that is indeed the monster, its back, even on all fours, was what we saw pass through the building. The advanced screening people said its HUGE, as in, its the size of an entire city block, WITHOUT the tail.

Of course, this may be over exaggerating a bit.
TyrannoTitan

Postby TyrantTR » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 pm

It's perfect. You see the whites of the eyes just like the director wnted it, it has potential to look scared. And as well those little fin things on the bottom, I was watching a little analysis video, and it outlined something that looked like those. Although I imagined the creature to be a bit more lumbering and brutish, that looks kind of agile and scrawny. And how would that scratch it's back against a building?
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby dinoman666 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:49 pm

That looks like it makes sense and explains where it comes from (probably aquatic).
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:00 pm

According to some people, it can stand briefly on its hind legs.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Zephyr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 pm

that does make sense actually
Zephyr
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:32 am

Ok, a warning to everyone:

Whoever is seeing this movie tommarrow, I don't want to see ANY spoilers at all. If you THINK something is a spoiler, don't post it. I am seeing the movie fairly early tommarrow (Or today, it being 12:00 AM), but I won't say anything to spoil anyone's experiance, and I expect the same from you guys.

Also, there is a photo, a GIF image, going around the internet, taken by someone's phone as they viewed an advanced screening. It IS the monster, and it IS a MAJOR spoiler, so I don't intend to even link it. If you really want to see it, Google it.
TyrannoTitan

Postby mega raptor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Alright, I just got back from the movie, and I have to say, it's amazing. Acting, I think, is good, the camera is done perfectly (though I can't understand why they can't keep it still for even a second) and the perspective is done good too-it's all done from the perspective of the camera, and as such, you learn almost nothing about anything.

Speaking of which, if you're going to Cloverfield looking for answers, you'll find none. The only question that is ever really answered is "What does the monster look like?" It brings up a lot of questions for an hour-and-a-half movie, and it begs for a sequel. And you never even get a good, complete shot of the monster. I can think of one, and even then a good part of it is obscured pretty quickly.

You know, now that I think of it, maybe a Cloverfield speculation thread should be created-I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on everything.

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Raptor Llama » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 am

I just saw it. The acting was the best I've ever seen, it was like real. The camera effect was awsome, and I thought it was really cool.
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:51 am

You can post speculation here, MR. Its an all purpose topic.

And ya, I saw it yesterday, and it was AMAZING.

But remember, no spoilers for people who didn't see it.
TyrannoTitan

PreviousNext

Return to General Movies