New Discovery Channel show tries to make Jurassic Park real

Movie reviews and discussion.

New Discovery Channel show tries to make Jurassic Park real

Postby Raptor Llama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:54 pm

I was watching Mythbusters and I saw a commercial for an upcoming show were they're actually going to try and get dino DNA to make dinosaurs. I really hope they succeed, this way, well, ya.
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby dinoman666 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 pm

If they do succeed somehow, they better as hell not make any carnivores.
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Raptor Llama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 pm

dinoman666 wrote:If they do succeed somehow, they better as hell not make any carnivores.

ah, but one fun would that be? :D
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 pm

RL, I really think you misheard them. Its probably a simulation thing, not the actual thing...
TyrannoTitan

Postby Warlock93 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:25 pm

Besdies, I don't even think dinosaurs could survive today. Something different about the atmosphere. Not enough nitrogen or something?
The three will spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.
Warlock93
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Raptor Llama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:RL, I really think you misheard them. Its probably a simulation thing, not the actual thing...

Well, when I googled it, I thought they were saying it was just CGI, but in this particular show, they found a bee which got a hold of T-rex DNA. So, I think this is...

REALZ!

OMG I'm Exited!
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:45 pm

I went on the Discovery WEBSITE.

They have nothing on it...

Give us a link to some information.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Raptor Llama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 pm

it's brand new, it's not on discovery website. Lemme search youtube if someone uploaded the commercial...

can't find it... found something on bringing dinos back to life with discovery but it was just animotrotics from years ago. I can't really find any info, we'll just have to wait for for commercial viewings and discovery to put a link to it... but I understood the commercial very well, it's no simulation. There doing the real thing. But, just like cloverfeild, were going to have to wait for info to unfold from the source...
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby C S » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 am

I saw that, the myth about the plane on a treadmill and cockroaches surviving nuclear ecplosions, then that commersial came up. Its showing on february 17th where I live on discovery
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 am

Compy Scavenger wrote:I saw that, the myth about the plane on a treadmill and cockroaches surviving nuclear ecplosions, then that commersial came up. Its showing on february 17th where I live on discovery

Both myths: Busted!

Wow, we did the same exact thing. Well, when or if they clone the rex, I wanna pet the hatchling! Oh, this could mean like real jurassic park. Who knows, maybe they won't be able to contain the rex. Maybe we'll all go down. But, eh, this is mind boggiling!
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby C S » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 am

its not if its possible, it is

they cloned African wildcats by using the DNA of living animals and embedding that in the egg of a regular house cat. the DNA becomes an embryo and then a fetus, and then when the cat gives birth, a full fledged African Wild cat.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 am

WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll see this dinosaur when it is cloned, whatever it takes. This makes the presedentail elections look like absolutely nothing. I can't wait to see this rex! Until then, let's speculate.

I bet it will have grey scales.
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:39 am

For all we know, it could be rainbow, have feathers only on its arms and legs, and sound like a deep voiced chicken.

Yes, funny thought, but its the truth. And I'm not really sure they ARE cloning a dino...I mean, yes we CAN do it, but there are so many people that are against cloning of present day animals, let alone dinosaurs....
TyrannoTitan

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:46 am

Well, the people can't stop these guys. Plus cloning something extinct is sorta different from cloning something alive. Well, mostly people are against cloning people, cause that would be a weird, bad idea. Cloning this guy is inenitable. The people can protest, but the magiority will crave seeing a living, breating dinosaur.

I thought people would be a little more exited. I mean, before that I was exited about the historical election. Now, that's swept away. I mean, he are going to see a real dinosaur in the flesh. Well, I did here various insidents of Velociraptors in the west...
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 am

SOMETIMES, I will agree with cloneing. SOMETIMES. Theres a project to clone the tasmanian tiger. I'll agree with that. If we killed it we should bring it back. But we didn't kill dinosaurs. They died. And because they died we are the dominant species on earth. If they didn't become extinct ww would be little feild mice. I don't think it would EVER be a good idea to clone them. Even if they were sucsessfully contained.

I dun think they will actually clone a dinosaur. They would probably have to get special permission or somethin.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:07 pm

i don't think they'll do it, honestly. let's take the Rex as a base example here. we don't know how it'll act. for all we know, it may act like Great Whites do in captivity. not eat. starve themselves to death. and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, it might go nuts and slaughter anything in it's way. what are they gonna do? attempt to sedate it? sure, but what if the sedatives we have have unusual side effects on the Rex due to, for example, gaps in it's genetics, or maybe the absence of a certain hormone or something. it could die from potential side effects. what else...kill it? sure. Elephant gun, maybe. or perhaps for the really heavy duty stuff if they want to stop it in it's tracks. give it a rocket to the face [yeah, crazy. going into the gaming world again. but let's just say an elephant gun can't drop it fast enough]. if it came to it, they'll have lost a multi million dollar clone AS WELL AS the expenses spent on actually forming an environment for it to be put in...simply speaking, there's a VERY small chance that they'll be successful if they clone it. environment isn't right, they'll need suitable containment [good luck figuring out what's best for it and us with a creature that's been dead for 65,000,000 years, several times more than the time WE have been on this planet!], they'll need to sort out a food source that's appropriate [with JP they had this lycine thing [or whatever it's called]. in reality, maybe there's a certain kind of nutrient, hormone or something that can't be found in modern day animals that the predator would need to survive], they'll need to have suitable precautions, as well as a habitat it would be comfortable with. if they EVER decide to clone Dinos successfully, they'll need to make a whole food chain from the ground up. plants, herbivores, predators. then there's the case of each herbivore's preffered plant, the plants' preffered soil, the predators' favoured prey..etc. they'd take AGES just to sort things out. i don't think they'd be able to just go BAM! T.REX! OMG WE GOTZ T.REX! LOLZ! unless they did the rest of it first, it'd drop dead within weeks, days or even HOURS of being made. think of it. this is hundreds of millions of years of evolution we're talking about here. the chances that cloning will be able to successfully recreate what took that long to evolve, is unlikely. they have the benefit of a doubt though. MAYBE, just MAYBE, they have solutions for all those things planned, IF they're even crazy enough to dump that much money into the process. but i seriously doubt it...

look how much it takes to keep an IGUANA alive an happy. Terrianium, proper food, propper bedding for the terranium, organised, periodic changes in diet, constant, warm tempreture, lighting, humidity...etc. and what is it we're talking about here? an IGUANA. imagine what a 45 foot long, 16 foot tall, 6 ton carnivorous predator that could eat a man whole, and probably had a several hundred kilometer wide territory would need!
Last edited by The Kingpin on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Legendary Elite » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:21 pm

EXACTLY my very thoughts KP. Yes we may have a chance with creating a 5 tonned top-of-the-food-chain apex predator but then, like KP says, we'd need herbivores, T-Rex's true diet. And we can't just feed the herbivores grass and other plants we have today, those would be unhealthy for them, they would die off quickly, though we do have prehistoric plants, it's not enough to sustain a whole ecosystem of dinosaurs.

I reckon if we are to resurrect something so ancient and old as the dinosaurs, let it be herbivores first and let them be small ones, small ones that can sustain a small diet. Then we can start thinking about how we turn the herbivores into prey...
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Knoledge. It's all about the knoledge. The Koala seems like the most easy to understand. It's a marsupial, and it has special diets. It eats leaves that are full of poision. Every animal has there unique diet. If you give the animal something else it will not eat it. No matter how small they are. So we would have to know EXACTLY what it eats, and EXACTLY were it is or if you need to clone that too. Not to mention it just really shouldn't be done. I think dinosaurs became extinct for a reason. ANd I think we should just let that be.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:13 pm

they went extinct to make way for a new dominant species. us. they can't be alive while we are, otherwise, one will go extinct, either from eachother, or from the environment at the time. favour being on our side seing as we're the ones with the WMDs and other crazily powerful, ******** weaponry, AND our own environment [and we can kiss good bye to that as well unless someone manages to ram it into the world leaders' heads that it's our money or our lives on the line here].
Last edited by The Kingpin on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Exactly. and I don't see why we need all these projects of cloneing. Cloneing dinosaurs, cats and there trying to clone humans. When weill we draw the line? Shouldn't we be useing our scientific minds on other things? But back to the show. If it clones an actual swear to god real dinosaur. I want to see it. Because really, we can't stop them if there already doing it. if it is just CGI and stuff, like a sequal to Prehistoric park or something. Mabye. Mabye I'll see it.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Next

Return to General Movies