A JP fan-fic

Have you got a game, book or movie you'd like to make a story out of? Want to expand on a story or plot that stopped? Have an original idea for a story that you want to post somewhere? Here's where to do it. Basically an RPG where one player controls ALL characters in the story.

A JP fan-fic

Postby mega raptor » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:06 pm

OK, this is a JP Fan-Fic I've been working on for a long time. It's not great, but it's long (95 pages at last count). The basic premise is that it's a parallel universe, if you will, where none of the JP films have happened, and InGen delayed the construction of their park by several years, on a seperate island. Not sure if that makes sense, but here's the first part of it.

Prologue: Secrets

September 14th, 1998, San Diego, San Diego Zoo

Drake Gannah walked out from the management building of the San Diego zoo, glad to be done for the day. It was 7:00, when the zoo closed, and he wanted to get home.
His son and wife were ready to have dinner, and he was hungry. The meals he usually ate at the zoo didn’t fill him up, and as an animal vet and manager of the zoo, he knew vitamins were very important for any body, human or animal.
He climbed into his car and turned on the radio. “…And what a beautiful autumn day it had been. Now let’s listen to some music as the day comes to an end.” He smiled as he pulled out of the parking lot, listening to some music.
The drive home was short, and he soon found himself in his garage. He and Sarah had raised Michael in the house for 5 years, and they had been fixing it up for all the 6 years they had lived there. It pained him that they would leave it so soon.
Drake had been offered a job a few weeks ago for a zoo somewhere near Hawaii. They had given him very few details, but they had told him it would be a very high-profit zoo, it would be very advanced, they would provide him with a place to live, and it had excellent pay. Strangest of all, the zoo would be on an island 100 miles south of Hawaii, and it was being constructed by a company called International Genetics, or InGen.
So he and Sarah talked it over and decided to sell the house and move as soon as possible. The job would start this summer. They had told him, a year ago, that in June of 2001 would be the time to start moving.
And now, the time was almost there. He was ready to leave; most of there home was packed up and in a storage warehouse provided by the company. There home was sold, and they would be moving to a temporary apartment in Hawaii provided by InGen, where he would learn more about what he was actually going to be doing, and where he would be going.
He had earlier seen photos of the island. It was mostly jungle, very rocky, and enveloped in fog. Right now, this was what it seemed like his career was: surrounded in the fog of uncertainty and secrecy.

September 14th, 1998, Gannah Household

He walked into his house, and was greeted by his 5-year-old son, Michael, who dropped his toy train and ran to the garage door when he heard it open. He walked through the laundry room into the kitchen, and walked around the island into the family room.
To his left was the dining room, to the right, the hallway that led to the bedrooms, and then at the end, the staircase to the next level.
His wife greeted him in the family room, and then they sat down for dinner, and later Drake played with Michael until 8:00, his bedtime, and then spent the next few hours exercising and considering final projects to increase the house’s value
Drake went to bed around 11:00, and he thought about the uncertainty in his life. He was working for a genetics company that was building a zoo far south of Hawaii. Not much about that actually made sense.
And so as he laid down in bed, and tried to think about the reasons someone would want to build a zoo off of the coast of Hawaii.

November 29th, 1998, San Diego, Gannah Household

And so the weeks went on. As he learned more about the island, the stranger it became.
For example, he learned that recently, 12 Hamihuchi gene sequencers had been shipped to the island. And when he received blueprints for the island’s facilities, they showed a massive production facility. Surely nothing like those would be needed on a zoo.
“Unless, of course, this isn’t an ordinary zoo,” Sarah mentioned a few weeks before they left.
“Yeah, but what could they be doing?” Drake responded.
“They could be making animals. Like some sort of conservation area, with cloned animals.”
“Yeah, but would that need those gene sequencers?”
“Don’t know. I mean, I don’t know much about genetics.”
So Drake did some research. Animals that had a ready supply of genes didn’t need any sort of gene sequencer. The DNA could just be taken and inserted into an embryo.

December 11th, 1998, San Diego, InGen HQ

On the last day, they had everything moved out, and the 3 of them watched the moving truck leave. Then they got in their car and drove it to the InGen-provided apartment.
There they stayed for a few weeks, until there home on the island was ready. They left to go to the InGen complex, and climbed the steps with the most basic of there luggage and onto the helipad.
They climbed into the large helicopter and watched as all they had ever known pulled out from underneath them and they headed deep into the west, into the unknown.

Chapter 1: Island

January 7th, 1999, Approaching Isla Desigual

Drake opened his eyes as the sunlight shone through the window. He warily yawned, and in the reflection of the window, and was startled at his reflection. It looked like he hadn’t slept in days. Beside him, he could tell everyone else felt like it, too.
Michael slowly opened his eyes, but refused to look out of the window. He was afraid of heights, and he had to be dragged into the helicopter. Drake could see in his eyes he was glad that he would soon be on solid ground.
“And if you look past me, you can see Northern Isla Desigual.” The pilot said. “Isla Desigual? What does that mean?” “It’s Spanish for Jagged Island. Refers to the island’s topography, it’s very rugged.” Drake and Sarah nodded in understanding, Michael was just glad the flight was almost over. “See that buddy? We’re almost to our new house. The flight’s almost over,” Drake said as he tried to calm Michael. Michael nodded, but he was still scared.
As they came from the north, they could see that they were headed over a long, curving coast. Beneath them was vast tropical rainforest. “Apparently, whatever InGen is doing in part involves the jungle,” The pilot told them.
They past over the jungle, then grasslands, then a huge, jagged canyon. “That’s the biggest canyon on the island, about 6 miles long. It breaks off from the main canyon to 3 different areas, like a giant claw. There’s a river running through it. It’s long, dank and creepy.”
Then the helicopter soared over a mountain range, then hills and jungle, until they reached a giant waterfall, “That’s Raptor Falls, named after the birds of prey that roost there. And right there are the helipads.”
Jutting from the sides of the waterfall were 12 helipads, 6 on each side. They were probably a few thousand feet above the ground. “This won’t help Mike…” Sarah worried.
The helicopter dropped from the sky onto the helipad. A man in a strange uniform pulled open the door as the rotor blades slowed. The Gannahs climbed from the helicopter onto the helipad and faced the man.
“Hello, I’m Ed Regis. Welcome to Isla Desigual. Please follow me down to the monorail.”
Ed Regis led the family of 3 to the end of the helipad situated in the mountain, into a tall elevator down to the bottom of the falls. The falls ended in a small lake before continuing through a river, while the platform was just above it.
The elevator stopped at a monorail platform, where a small monorail was waiting for them. “This is going to be your personal monorail train,” Ed said, motioning to train, and added, “You’ll be able to take it anywhere on the island.” Then he turned around to go back up the elevator.
“Aren’t you coming?” asked Sarah, concerned. Ed responded, “No, I’m waiting for a few more people.” And he got into the elevator and sent it up the mountain side.
Drake, carrying Michael, and Sarah climbed onto the monorail. The monorail automatically began moving down the track, north. A screen in the wall by the door showed blue lines, a red dot marked “Current Position”, and a green dot marked “Destination”.
Drake looked at, and realized it was probably a Global Positioning Satellite system. The San Diego Zoo used the same system to track animals released into the wild.
He gently touched the “Destination” dot, and it automatically zoomed in to show a large building, made of gray limestone. There were 3 Tiki style roofs, one in the center being much larger than the other. The stairs terminated in three sets of double doors, and 2 water ducts flowed down on either side of the stairs, with jungle foliage following beside it.
The main doors were bronze with the shape of an egg emblazoned into them, with what appeared to be rays of sunlight coming from the center of each egg. 3 tinted windows were on either side of the doors, and on top of the roof there was a guard rail, suggesting that there was some type of observation deck.
Other buildings were around it, like a 3 or 4 story structure that reminded him of an apartment building, and another similar building on the opposite side of main building. The monorail track ended in a long, shaded platform, clearly meant for long monorails and large crowds.
Drake motioned for Sarah to come over, looked at how she was controlling the screen and said, “Must be some sort of satellite. I guess we’re going there, but where is there?”
Drake moved his finger, and the camera moved with it. He tapped on the circular building, and it zoomed in. Words on the top of the screen said, “Visitor Center Compound, Main Building.” Drake’s view of the screen was strange, at an angled area looking down on the lobby.
The interior of the building was the same gray limestone that had been on the exterior of the building. The floor was black marble, and at the rear of the room he could see an illuminated mural with several species of dinosaurs, only broken by a hallway leading somewhere he couldn’t see. In the middle of the room, he could see 2 dinosaur species, in a fighting pose. One he recognized as Tyrannosaurus, but the other he didn’t. It was a dinosaur similar to Brachiosaurus, but it was much smaller.
Other hallways lead off to the left and right, but he couldn’t tell exactly what they lead to. There was also a wrap-around stair case, leading off from the right of the building to a balcony that ran around the entire main lobby. A banner spanned the entire room, with the words When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth on it.
He gently moved his finger to the left, and his camera shifted to the left. He tapped on the screen, and his camera jumped to the left. He realized he was looking through security cameras. Up to his left, he could see a staircase winding up above the dome of the lobby, above the hallway leading to the end of the teardrop. He tapped the top of the balcony.
Next, he found his camera jumping up the hallway through the door, and found that he was looking through a security camera into what looked like mission control. He moved his finger up, and the camera zoomed in. On one of the monitors, he found himself looking into his very own monorail car. On the monitor beside it, he found himself looking at an exact copy of what he was looking at.
So they’re monitoring me from the control room, apparently where they monitor the rest of the island too, he thought. Then, a man looked at the monitor, and then looked back at the security camera. He waved, and then turned around. Having seen what he wanted, he switched to a different view, and saw into another strange room.
It was filled with computers, 3 strange colored pillars off to one side, virtual reality interfaces, there were large, and there were what Drake recognized as Hamihuchi gene sequencers, and all sorts of other equipment. He wasn’t sure, but he thought it was a genetics lab. But why would there be a genetics lab on a zoo? He also noticed there was no one in the room. Puzzled, he moved on, switching the camera to another area.
He found himself looking at a large, football field-sized room with several conveyer belts and large swinging arms. There were 2 sets of the conveyer belts, one higher than the other. Only a single set of the conveyer belts was in use, the swinging arms inserting what looked like embryos from one belt into eggs on another. It looks like some sort of production facility.
Suddenly, the train slowed and then stopped, signaling their arrival at their destination. Leaving the touch screen behind, he and his family waited for the train to grind to a halt.
Drake, Sarah, and Michael, holding Sarah’s hand, stepped out of the train and saw they were near the main building with the large Tiki roofs. They were on a long sheltered monorail platform, probably 10 feet above the ground. There were 4 sets of stairs on each side, leading down to a path on the ground.
The family went down the steps, onto the path, and saw they were southwest of the main building in the “Visitor Center Compound”. A man in the same strange uniform Regis wore, (a white shirt, black pants, and a red baseball cap with a strange icon on it) walked up to them.
He introduced himself as Dr. John Harding, said he was the chief vet on the island, and led them into the main building. “This,” he said, “is the main Visitor Venter. It is where the guests go to learn about the island.” Sarah pointed to the battling dinosaurs, and asked, “What’s with the dinosaurs? Isn’t that a little strange for a zoo?” Harding just laughed and told them that “you’ll see how it fits in with the rest of the island.”
Sarah told Harding that she and Michael were hungry, and Harding pointed down the hall to the right of the main rotunda. “That’s the food court. You’ll find all sorts of stuff there, but only 2 of them are up and running, just enough for our staff.” Sarah and Michael went off, while Harding led Drake up the stairs.
“Aren’t we going to wait for them?” Drake asked, but Harding just shook his head. They went into the hallway, and turned into an elevator he hadn’t noticed in the train.
“Where are we going?” he asked. “Downstairs, into the Production Facility,” Harding answered. “Producing what?” Drake asked. “You’ll see,” Harding said with a smile.
The elevator hummed as it went down further, down underground. The doors opened, revealing a large, mostly empty room. As soon as he stepped into the room, Drake could feel it was hot. And very misty, too. Large incubators were scattered around, each with a small robotic arm attached. Only 2 incubators were in use, with about 100 small white eggs in it. Harding led him over to it, explaining about the island.
“What no one actually told you about the park is that, instead of normal animals, here we keep dinosaurs,” Harding explained. “You’re joking, aren’t you?” Drake asked. “What is this, a practical joke?”
“I didn’t really believe it either when I came here,” Harding told him. “But then I was shown the Archaeopteryx.” “The what?” Drake asked, looking at Harding as if he was crazy.
“Watch this,” Harding told him. They hovered over the eggs, and suddenly, one began to wiggle. The egg cracked, and opened up, revealing a short, feathered, pointed snout, filled with tiny, widely spaced teeth. The strange creature pushed out more, cracking open the egg and revealing broad, rounded wings with 3 clawed fingers, and a long feathered tail.
It was clearly a bird, but like no bird Drake had ever seen. Picking it up, it screeched in agitation, flashing pointed teeth. He examined the animal’s foot, and found no backward-pointing toe, meaning that it couldn’t clutch tree branches, suggesting it lived on the ground. It had no beak, only a short snout, and its reptilian fingers flexed and clawed at his hand.
“So this is an Archaeo-whatever?” Drake asked, eyes wide in surprise. “Yes,” Harding answered, moving up close to him. “This is an Archaeopteryx. It’s the earliest known bird. We’ve released flocks of dozens of them, at last count I believe we have over 300 released across the 40 or so square miles of the island. Recreated entirely from a specimen John Hammond owns.
“This is one of the females; she’ll grow bluish feathers when she’s older. Males have reddish-yellowish feathers, reminds some of the employees of a Phoenix.”
“You said there are over 300 of these things, roaming across the island?” Drake asked. “How do you feed them?” “Well,” Harding said, “They’re pretty self-sufficient. They hunt insects and rats, we have a lot of them around the Visitor Center, that’s why there are so few mosquitoes around here.”
“So you’ve re-created an entire species only from a single fossil? Amazing… Anything else I should know about?”
“Sure,” Harding said, “Come on. I’ll go introduce you to the rest of the team.”
Last edited by mega raptor on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Awesome! It's good to see the persective of an InGen worker instead of a survivor.Great thinking! wow 70 pages.....And this may sound stupid but are we allowed to comment Fan fics?I know that you would like to hear what people have to say but I don't know if you just want this to be your fan fic and people could comment at the end.Sorry if I don't make sense :oops: .
TyrannoTitan

Postby mega raptor » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks, I never thought it was that good... I'm not sure if you're allowed to comment on it, but I'd like comments and critique on my work.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:02 pm

of course your allowed to comment! :D all artists need comments and constructive criticism on their work to help improve it in the future. i have 1 rule though: only update your Fan Fic by editing your first post. then you can say something like "Chapter 7 added..." or something along those lines to let people know. i know it's a bit more hassle, but it'll save the readers from having to go through the entire topic through 70 pages just to find the next installment. you can have as long as you like as criticism time, but i think ATM the most appropriete would be about a week. by then, all the members that like it should've posted their critiques on the Fan Fic.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby mega raptor » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Chapter 1 added. I might add Chapter 2 later today.

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Return to Single Writer Fiction