A Story from the Heart

Have you got a game, book or movie you'd like to make a story out of? Want to expand on a story or plot that stopped? Have an original idea for a story that you want to post somewhere? Here's where to do it. Basically an RPG where one player controls ALL characters in the story.

A Story from the Heart

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 pm

© Steeltalon/Hopeflower 2008

A STORY FROM THE HEART

Listen well, for I am only telling my story once. My name is Monroe. Lavender Monroe, and I am a survivor of a shipwreck—the only survivor. I live among monsters every day of my life. I live on Isla Sorna, an island of broken dreams and prehistoric animals. This is my tale…told from my heart.

MISTAKE UNFOLDING

“Good morning, Miss Monroe,” Captain Asher said warmly.

Lavender smiled politely. “Good morning, Captain.” Lavender was a quiet girl in her mid teens, with chocolate brown hair, tan skin, and hazel eyes. She wore a long emerald green dress, and shiny black shoes, and her hair was up in an elaborate bun on this day, held by a pale pink hair tie. Oh, and she came from one of the most respected families in her hometown. Today she was scheduled to set sail for an island with a few friends on a ship called the Lusitania.

“I’m afraid we won’t be heading out for a little while, my Lady,” the Captain told her. “There’s a bit of bad weather headed our way.” He gestured to the skies to the northeast, where dark storm clouds were gathering.

“Oh.” Lavender frowned. “Alright then.” She turned to look at her best friend, Elizabeth Foote. “It looks like we have a bit of time to ourselves, then, Liz.” Elizabeth grinned. She was fair-skinned, with platinum blond hair, and preferred to wear black on most days.

“Well then, we should make the most of it. Come on, Lavender!” The blond girl sprinted off, with Lavender chasing after her, both of them laughing.

It would be the last time they saw each other.

THE PARTING

Lavender lay in her bed that night, her head resting in her arms, staring up at the ceiling. I won’t be seeing this room for a few weeks. I might as well enjoy it. She sighed. The trip had been delayed until tomorrow because of the freak storm that had blown in at the last minute.

“Lavender! Get down here this instant!”

“Oh, no,” Lavender groaned. She rolled out of bed and stood slowly, grimacing. “I’m coming, Miranda!” Miranda—a sweet name for someone who acted like she’d been born in hell.

When Lavender arrived at the top of the stairs and peered over the railing, there was the gorgeous face of her step-mother, staring back up at her. “There you are, you lazy girl,” Miranda said in a poisonously sweet, soft tone. Lavender swallowed. What could she possibly have done this time?

Just as she was about to start walking down the stairs, Miranda’s husband and Lavender’s father, Evan appeared. “No, stay up there, Lav. You’re not in trouble,” he assured her, but Lavender only felt more nervous.

“Not in trouble?” she repeated, gripping the railing so hard her knuckles turned white. “Then what is this all about?”

“Well, your father and I had a little talk,” Miranda said, still in the overly-sweet voice that Lavender loathed. “And we think that you should go on trips more often. It’ll be good for—”

“STOP TALKING LIKE YOU’RE MY MOM!” Lavender shouted. “You’re not Mom, and you NEVER will be!”

Both Miranda and Evan looked extremely shocked and surprised, and a little bit angry. “Lavender Janet Monroe, you can’t talk to your step-mother like that!”

Tears of anger sprang to Lavender’s eyes. It wasn’t fair! Her mother had died when she was just a little girl, and now she was supposed to act like…like MIRANDA was her mother?!

“Lav…your mother would’ve wanted us to be happy,” Evan said, as if he could read Lavender’s mind.

“But Miranda ISN’T Mom!” Lavender yelled. She turned and ran back into her room, slamming the door behind her and sliding the bolt in place to lock it. The young teenage girl threw herself onto her bed, the springs creaking as she landed.

An eventful end to an uneventful day.

XXX

“Come on, Lavender, or we’ll be late!” Scarlet shouted, running toward the Lusitania. Lavender followed, a bag slung over one shoulder. Beside her were Amber and Kathleen, identical twin sisters. All four girls were going to be on the cruise to the island where they’d be staying for a short while before coming back.

“Afternoon, ladies,” the Captain greeted them. “Got everything you need? Ready to go?”

“Yes, sir,” Lavender said.

“Your rooms are ready for you, then.” He gestured to the left. “First four doors you come to. We’ll be setting off in abut half an hour. Enjoy yourselves, ladies.”

“So, like, where’s Liz?” Amber asked. “I thought she was gonna be here to see us off.”

“Oh. She’s busy…she told me when I saw her yesterday,” Lavender mumbled, rubbing the back of her neck with one hand embarrassedly.

“Totally rude to just, like, say you’re going to be somewhere and then, like, not show up,” Kathleen commented.

Scarlet rolled her eyes. “Oh, shut up you two. She probably had somewhere she had to go.” She shifted the strap on her shoulder. “Let’s get settled in.”

SETTLING IN

“Shut up, Scarlet!” Kathleen shouted, playfully shoving her friend away.

“Both of you shut up,” Lavender sighed. The playful argument had been going on almost the minute the friends had entered the huge living area on the ship. The brunette smirked at Scarlet, who tossed her black hair and sighed dramatically.

The ship suddenly shuddered violently, and all four girls lost their balance. “I apologize, ladies,” one of the janitors said, laughing as he passed them. “We’ve just hit some rough waters.”

Lavender grumbled as she picked herself up. “Rough waters,” she hissed. She held out a hand and pulled Scarlet up, the black-haired girl having fallen backwards over a chair.

“This is as bad as it’s going to get, Lav,” Amber tried to assure her. “We might as well have fun. Let’s get up to the bow. We can watch for dolphins!”

Lavender perked up quickly. “Oooh, dolphins!” she exclaimed. She was out of the room in a flash, her friends running after her.

“Which way do we go?” Kathleen asked, cocking her head to the left.

“Let’s find a side of the ship first,” Amber suggested. “We can figure it out from there.”

A wave slammed into the ship, and all four girls were sent crashing into a wall. “Ow…found one,” Lavender groaned, getting up slowly, massaging her shoulder.

“You’re hilarious,” Scarlet hissed sarcastically as she stood, clutching her ribs.

“Ugh…shut up,” Kathleen snapped. She was cradling one of her arms and looked like she was in extreme pain.

Amber stood slowly, holding one foot off the ground. It looked like she’d twisted her ankle. “Okay…now that we’re all in agony, shall we go back to our rooms?” she moaned, leaning against the wall for support.

Scarlet narrowed her eyes at Amber. “It was one of your ideas that got us into this situation, Amber,” she snapped, still cradling her ribcage. “We should go back in the living room and just sit tight for a little while.”

“That’s a great idea,” Lavender hissed, “except for the obvious fact that Amber’s twisted her ankle. She shouldn’t be moving.”

“Hold on!” Amber broke in. “I don’t want—”

“Shut up!” Scarlet shouted.

“Are you ladies in trouble?”

Lavender looked up at the speaker, a handsome, muscular man with dark brown hair and clear blue eyes. Lavender blushed. “I…uh…we—we were just…” she stammered.

“I’m Kyle,” the man said. He extended his hand and pulled Lavender to her feet. “And who would you be?”

“L-Lavender Monroe,” she said, stumbling over her words as she continued to stare at Kyle. “These are my friends, Scarlet, Kathleen and Amber.”

Kyle smiled. “Get used to the accidents, girls,” he said warmly. “This is life on the sea.”

“Approaching destination. Estimated arrival time, three hours.”

“Three hours!” Lavender repeated. She punched the air. “Yes! We’re almost there!”

“The agony should be gone by then,” Scarlet grunted humorously.

Kyle’s attention shifted to the black-haired teen. “I’ll see you four later. I’m needed elsewhere.” He smiled again and strode off, soon vanishing from view.

Lavender fanned herself frantically with her hands. “Wow,” she breathed. Scarlet gave the brunette an amused look.

“Gonna faint on us?” she taunted. Lavender swatted her gently.

“Of course I’m not!” Lavender shoved Scarlet away with one hand and kept fanning herself with the other. “He’s just so…so…”

“Hot,” the other three girls chorused.

“Yeah. But enough about him. Let’s go see if we can find some dolphins.”
Last edited by Hopeflower on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Very insteresting so far. Great character development, can't wait for more.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:04 pm

Next chappie's up. lol with girls being girls. XD
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Interesting. Once again, very nice character development, aswell as having realistic responses to the situation. Nice job.
TyrannoTitan

Return to Single Writer Fiction