Survivor - a JP fanfic (yei, another one...)

Have you got a game, book or movie you'd like to make a story out of? Want to expand on a story or plot that stopped? Have an original idea for a story that you want to post somewhere? Here's where to do it. Basically an RPG where one player controls ALL characters in the story.

Survivor - a JP fanfic (yei, another one...)

Postby Peter the Reaper » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Jurassic Park
Survivor

Prologue: Costa Rica

It was morning. I had just taken a shower when a phone rang. It was Michael; he wanted to go scuba diving to the far coast for the last day of our vacation trip to Costa Rica. (I and a few close friends had decided to celebrate our graduations there.)
- “So, ya wanna go or not?”
- Mate, I woke up twenty minutes ago, just had shower and I didn’t even have breakfast yet!
- “C’mon dude! It’ll be unforgettable!”
- And how do you plan getting a boat?
- “Clarice has a gold visa, y’know?”
- And you plan to spend her money to go scuba-diving? – Hey, Michael, hold on, someone’s knocking on the door.
At the time I didn’t know how correct he was; unforgettable was indeed the best way to put it… For, on that day, our lives changed.
But that wasn’t even running across my mind at the time, as I ran across the hotel room to the door. Pleasant room, by the way:
Nice, big windows with a view to the sandy beach fading into the emerald-green Pacific Ocean, a sky without any clouds to be seen and a bright sun gently bathing the living room in a warm, white light. Everything got another dimension, as if I was actually in Paradise.
As I peered through the peephole I could see it was Jess and Clarice; I quickly passed the hand through my hair, desperately trying for it to be presentable, and when I was going to open the door I noticed I was still downing my bathing towel… In a hurry I grabbed my jeans and briefs from the white sofa while the door kept making the same deaf sound. Finally I opened the door; Jess was wearing her pink top and white mini-skirt, having a big pony tail out of her cap, with a light makeup, resumed to a slight eye shadow and pink, glossy lipstick. Clarice wore her pearl dress, neatly arranged fiery hair, always curly, basically, the sort of thing you’d expect on a rich girl… boring and always on the extreme edge of sexy, but she was a good girl. A good girl she was, indeed. I asked them in, but they refused, they still needed to go check on Alan. Long conversation made short, they had just dropped by to ask me if I wanted to go to the far coast, as they heard of an island chain that had very rare fauna. Obviously, I, as a biologist was intrigued, and when they mentioned it was Michael’s idea, I just remembered I had let the poor fellow hanging on the phone all that time! I said farewell to the girls and told them I was in the gig. When I went to pick up the phone, the line was dead already. Mickey wasn’t going to be a happy monkey.
The clock was hitting 10 o’clock when I, Michael, Alan, Jess, Clarice and Johnny found a fishing shop.

- Hey, Jess, check this out! Wouldn’t it look marvellous on you?
- It’s definitely you, John, definitely you…
- What? You’d look fab in this bikini!
- If that can be called a bikini… Looks more made for a 10 year old girl…
- C’mon, Jess, don’t be like that, John was just foolin’ with’ya! Right, Johnny?
- Yeah Jess, just relax a bit girl!
- Whatever… You know I hate that kind of jokes.

Mike always has to intervene on Johnny’s behalf… We’ve grown used to that, kinda…
After half an hour of bickering, I and the guys bought some material, such as oxygen tanks and swimming suits, and we were set. Funny as we completely forgot to bring those from home, especially after so many underwater incursions we made back in the U.S., we just assumed that for a week, we wouldn’t need it.
Then it was time to find a renting boat agency, and such agency we found. So, Clarice, as usual, wanted something flashy and fast, therefore she would contempt herself only with the best thing they had for rent, and that thing was the deck boat Jamming, with thirty-feet long, seating for 25 people, radio and 200 horse power, and since she was the one paying, we agreed to it.

Chapter I: The Island

At noon we were already on our way to the high seas, where we’d explore the underwater fauna of said island chain. Honestly, I didn’t know where we were going exactly, but Clarice seemed pretty sure about our destination.
We finally arrived at what seemed an island chain, some hundreds of miles away from Costa Rica’s mainland. Honestly, I hated the place; it seemed so dead, so dull… so scary… Looking at those huge cliffs on the nearest island, with a small open area with what seemed grainy sand, not very pleasant for a beach, but I’d be damned if it was not. And I was almost never wrong. Then, I saw a glimpse of a dark shape, but it was so quick I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me.
Needless to say, by the time I returned to Earth, Michael was already in the water screaming his lungs out wanting us to follow his lead. Jess was mid-way to be in her suit. Alan was already dressed up and ready to jump into the dark, gloomy water that surrounded us. Johnny was doing so already. On the other hand, though, Clarice decided to stay on board to take some sun baths… By that time, the sky was a bit more clouded, and darker, but nothing to really worry about. The only one left was me… I figured “what the heck” and joined the underwater craziness…And, as I predicted, it was plain boring, almost no view and really nothing much to see, only volcanic rocks. Yet, we stayed; sometimes going aboard, others goofing around in the water, until the blue sky turned grey. Storms are prone to occur when you least expect around these parts of the world, I was just surprised to see one form so quickly.
Right then, lightning struck. We hurried back into the boat, but the sea was getting crispy… Rain started to fall and Clarice just was thrown over board when the storm got worse, we swam the best we could to aid her, well, all except Johnny, by God, you could see panic in his eyes. He almost jumped inside the boat and took off. Well, he did climb aboard and took off, leaving us in the middle of an enraged ocean. And there, in that ugly, black, desolate sea, where we were now stranded the last thing I heard were Clarice’s screams.
Then, I slowly found myself waking up, recovering my senses, hearing the softening sound of the sea reaching the grainy sand. I looked around; all I saw were tropical foliage in my front, sea on my back and two huge cliffs on the distance. Suddenly, I realised where I was – on the island I had seen from the boat. Now, I wasn’t the kind of person that would freak out at the first sign of trouble, but I couldn’t see anyone around, not a thing.
Jess, Clarice, Alan, Mickey… I didn’t see any of them. So I shouted, and shouted and shouted, then, an answer at last. A deep sound, rumbling on my ears, almost surreal…Seemed a bird of sorts, a huge bird. But I knew it couldn’t be possible. No bird that I knew was big enough to make such a cry, and I knew plenty. One of my specialties was avian biology. I was terrorized, so I did what anyone else would do… Panicked and ran away, ran as fast as I could, but my swimming fins wouldn’t allow me to move fast enough, so I took them off, and went as far as my legs allowed me: Deep into the jungle…
That dense, humid forest… With huge ferns in my front and sides, trees as thick as I never saw… this as a whole yelled primitive to me… and that was how I felt: a primitive. I had run away from a cry… barefooted… alone, in complete loneliness.

Chapter II: The Jungle

I was lost. In my panic I dwelled into this deep jungle, with no idea on how to go back. My best chances for salvation were at the beach, and now, I didn’t know how to return. I cursed myself for such foolishness. But I couldn’t have cursed myself for long, as, in that place where trees almost covered sunlight, sunlight itself was fading, I had to find a place to spend the night. I didn’t want to be sleeping on the ground, that roar echoing in my mind, still.
And, amidst the jungle, I heard that what would freeze my blood – a hiss; it was so loud, so like nothing I had heard, the roar back at the beach wasn’t so intimidating. I hurried to climb a tree; the hissings were louder, closing on me, my feet hurt so badly, but I had to do it. The hissing now formed clear patterns – several - I managed to climb to a branch that was some twenty feet away from the ground when I got to see them… Jess was the palaeontologist, but I knew a thing or two as well, and I knew what those were – Raptors, they were freaking Velociraptors: Nasty critters, about five of them, long, delicate bodies, tinted orange with black stripes running over the leathery skin, muscled forelimbs, ending in three fingers, armed with curved claws; a pointed snout, filled with sharp teeth, big, round eyes, powerful legs with a sickle claw in each foot, I’d guess about six feet tall – my own height.
I thought dinosaurs to be dead, and then I remembered that thing on the news about a dinosaur in San Diego, few years ago. At the time, I thought it was just a spoof to promote a movie that came out few weeks afterwards … but now, now I knew it was real, and then, I knew where I was – Isla Sorna.
The raptors stood still for some time, until one looked up, and so I realised – they had followed my smell, they were here because of me.
Quickly they surrounded the tree, jumping amazingly high, between eight and twelve feet. Until one of them grabbed itself to the tree and started climbing, by then my heart was beating at a rhythm that I felt as if it was to burst out of my chest, sweat covered my body, tears poured from my eyes… and then, the animal fell. A temporary relief was felt across my body… but they were learning, getting better, and all that time they snarled and hissed, snarled and hissed. Each time they attempted to get to me they were learning how to grab to the tree and thrust their body upwards, and, suddenly, they left, swiftly.
I was perplex, but so relieved that I fell asleep almost immediately. When morning finally arose, and the dim sunlight hit my body, I climbed down the tree and found, for my surprise that the path once covered in ferns was now somewhat broader. The next thing I noticed was a trail… a trail made by something huge… I could see that the footsteps resembled those made by birds: three toes displayed broadly apart each others, yet, these were bulkier than common bird feet. And so deep the animal must weight some tons…
I looked around, my heart was pounding again, and my eyes were wide open, the sweat that started spreading through my face at the time was already dripping from my chin. I couldn’t see nor hear anything; the whole jungle was silent once more. As if yesterday nothing had happened.

Chapter III: The River path

Alone, barefoot, hungry and thirsty… When just yesterday, I was warm, happy and celebrating back in Costa Rica my graduation in Biology. Things turned around so quickly, so unexpectedly… Now, I had even to watch out for dinosaurs, how absurd does that sound?
But, that was how things were, and I had no time to mourn. I decided to follow the muddy track left by whatever crossed this place last night to its origin. The path led me to a clearance, where it vanished. The muddy road now became a large grassy area. Near my left I found a huge plated animal, with a tail that ended in two pairs of spikes, a Stegosaurus. Its skin was a light army green and a pale belly, grazing the grass that filled the clearance, seconds after I saw the trees shaking and from them another appeared, and another, and another.
“My, it’s a whole herd!” I thought, and then I heard what seemed to be a liquid sound… My first thought was water, and so I rushed to the origin of the sound, the mere thought of fresh water absorbed me. I praised the Heavens, my ears didn’t deceive me; a very short string of water was dripping constantly into some rocks underneath it, making the delicious sound of survival. I knew the best way to not get lost from it was to walk by its side. And that thin string dripping from above the rocky formation standing now behind me continued its path back into the jungle, so I went alongside it, and while I followed it, it got larger, but not deeper, it was actually only deep enough to partially cover my foot.
A few moments later I heard what resembled the sound of squeals, and found a small flock of greenish little animals. I was amazed at the small green animals before me, about 50 of them, they had a shape very similar to a small, flightless bird, a somewhat long, S-curved neck ending with a small, pointy head, big black eyes, and a very, very bad smell. They were taking advantage of the fresh water course in an orderly fashion, with some looking out for dangers and others drinking. Oddly enough, they didn’t flee from me. I guessed they weren’t used to humans around those parts. And so, my immediate thought was: Food! I grabbed one of the small beings, it shrieked constantly until I twisted its neck.
Finally I had what to eat, only that I had no way to cook it, so as hungry as I was, I ate it raw. The rest of the flock had vanished, nowhere to be seen, and so, I kept following the river. The soil under the water was now made by small pebbles and I could foresee a big log in front of me… and something lying behind it… I approached it cautiously, only to find the remains of a human… I was perplexed and horrified… So I wasn’t the first to cross this terrible island! Well, it made sense, how else would that Tyrannosaurus get to San Diego? The corpse’s clothes were partially torn, with small holes on them, but I certainly could use them. So I dressed the khaki shirt, the brown pants and the boots. I also found something interesting… a shock gun. I was so relieved I had finally a weapon… not that it would matter much against big dinosaurs, but the fact of having one gave me such a feeling of safety that I couldn’t describe. My luck seemed to be turning around.

Chapter IV: The Fence

At least now I had clothes, and was somewhat fed... although raw meat from those green animals wasn’t the best in the world, and I also had a weapon. It’s not like that unlucky guy was going to need it anyway. As the river was getting deeper I had to go to one of the edges. From there I noticed something odd… The ground was flat with a diameter of about eight feet, extending as far as I could see… even weirder was that it had tire tracks… and then it struck me – it was a road! But what the hell did that mean? Were there more people on this island after all? Could they help me get away from here? It has been a long time since I last felt so hopeful. My luck really had turned around. So I followed it uphill, back to the jungle, as the ferns swallowed the markings that the truck made in the brownish, flat land. Still I followed it, until they got out of the road… and, few feet away from me; I saw a grey jeep with red diagonal painting on its body and black scaffolding that made the ceiling.
The jeep was turned over, and that obviously meant trouble… Just by looking at the scattered remains… one of the wheels was completely torn and laid on the opposite side of the road, the bumper was laying in from of the jeep, the doors were ripped open and I could see the same footsteps I had seen when I climbed down the tree on my first night here, and they were all over the place… Again it all pointed to one big monster inhabiting this place. Another interesting thing I noticed when I picked one of the doors up was a circular logo with a tyrannosaur skeleton on it. I could read “Jurassic Park” under all the dry mud that was over it… Right then I had the feeling that this island was no Lost World, but rather something someone knew about for a long time…
Then I heard a roar. It echoed through the jungle right then. It was terrifying; it didn’t belong to this world… My face immediately started to sweat and my body froze out of fear… and all that from a roar! Again my instincts overcome my mind, and I ran again, following the road… I was in such a state… after seeing the mangled jeep, which, by it self, gave me the creeps of thinking what could have done that and immediately after I heard that surreal roar, it was too much for me to handle. I was focused only in running away as fast as I could when I stumbled upon another strange piece of the puzzle: a fence.
This fence was huge, about thirty feet tall, with metallic poles that ended in two lights, one after the other in an angled position. Each of the posts were connected by what seemed electrical wires running perpendicularly across the fence height… and right in my front was a box that trespassed the fence. The box was made of metal, and split in half in both sides of its length… and, of a sudden; it came to my mind – a gate! It was a gate! And it was open… again, this was all odd… a Man-made fence? What was its use? Was it to keep something from coming out or something from going in? Well, night was about to come down and I had to sleep, so I thought on seeing if I could close those gates in order to get some minimum protection from the hazardous outside world. Thankfully there was an inside lock to close the gates, so I closed them and tucked myself in the middle of that box.

Chapter V: V for Village

The pale moon was already high when I woke up. My mouth was dry as sand, which made me decide to return to the river to get something to drink. On my way down it was with disappointment that I saw a huge, fallen, tree was blocking the road. I couldn’t go over it, so I decided to go back and hold my thirst a little longer, at least, until it was bright enough for me to find an alternate route. As I was returning to the fence I heard a familiar sound: a hiss. And, as the moonlight illuminated the fence, I could see two raptors investigating it. I couldn’t go back to the fence now, but I couldn’t go down the road either. I was trapped. But I thought that, as long as the raptors didn’t get to cross the fence, I’d be safe.
Yet, my wishful thinking did not last for long, as a deafening roar superimposed everything else… the raptors ran away as they had done on my first day on this island… and, on the other end of the fence I got a glimpse of what would be the personification of the Devil, unfortunately, just when I was about to get a better view on it, the moon was hidden behind a cloud, rendering all my senses, except my audition, futile. I wished my audition could have also been affected, since all I heard was the beast’s footsteps, and I could tell it was getting closer… Then I heard what seemed breathing, a long inspiration and quick exhalation, which repeated for a few seconds, I could understand what it was doing: It was sniffing, and… what if it sniffed me? That creature could easily knock down the fence and get to me in seconds, and so, as I could hear it smell, slowly now, my body was filling with adrenaline… sheer fear running through my veins, by that time I wanted to get the hell out of there, but I had no place to run, then, the footsteps began once more, and after a while, seemed to fade. It was going away! It was going away! Oh joy, it was moving on!
But I couldn’t sleep, I was too stressed. So I stayed up, until I could have some light to start moving. When the dim morning sunlight came about, I went back to the fencing, cautiously opened the lock that closed the gate on the other side of the fence and went through it. Now it was all different, the jungle was pushed back, since only grass and small ferns inhabited this huge open flat area, the roads were clearly visible, and there was a sign post. The north plate said “Village”. So, there was also a village? Would there be people? People that could help me get out of here… I had to follow it. As I walked towards the “village”, I could notice the footprints left by the raptors, with only two fingers marked on the ground, as the third claw, the sickle claw, was always held above the ground and only came down to slash a poor animal’s flesh. Next to them, a clear trail of the footsteps of the gigantic animal. I didn’t even need to inspect them to know they were the same as the ones near the wrecked jeep and near that tree… And then, my mind stopped focusing on the footprints and started thinking actually on the monster that made them… from what I could figure out before the moonlight vanished, it was slightly bigger than half of the fence… so it probably stood between sixteen to eighteen feet high… that would make a hell of an animal, but it was a dinosaur nonetheless. Still, I had to figure out what it was; could it be the Tyrannosaurus that appeared in San Diego? It was likely, but I wasn’t sure… somehow it didn’t fit quite well. I remembered tyrannosauruses were supposed to stand sixteen feet tall tops, but that roar... It was so profound… seemed to come from something bigger.

Chapter VI: Crossroads

My path led me to yet another crossroad. This time it read: “lake" up north, “Predator Grounds” to south - from where I came. The East plate was damaged; only thing I could read was “io-” and the west one said “Village”, the path to take now seemed obvious, if it wasn’t by a rumbling sound, as the one I heard back on the beach… This time, without the stress I was feeling back then, it actually seemed calm, and it came from North… I had to check it out; it was such a wonderful yet saddening sound, like a whale… So I kept heading north, and, to my amazement, I went ending up in a ravine, on the right I could see the river making a beautiful waterfall amidst the luxurious vegetation and on the bottom forming a lake, with a water stripe that went on to the horizon. On the margins of the lake I could see three huge dinosaurs; with necks long enough to reach the highest of trees and a body that resembled a giraffe. If it was up to me, I’d call them Giraffatitans, but I knew better, those were Brachiosaurus _brancai_, once one of my favourite dinosaurs from my childhood. Until then I had only seen it in pictures and in Berlin’s Museum of Natural History.
Near the three giants I could see other five brachiosaurus about a third the size of the rest, clearly infants. Slightly further were large bipedal dinosaurs with a mouth that reminded me a duck’s bill with a pompadour, like Elvis. Para…something, they were about 10, ranging from adults to newborns. On the other margin I could see two other huge dinosaurs, with a long neck as well, except theirs was parallel to the ground and had a bigger tail, the back also didn’t have the ramp-like resemblance to giraffes, instead, it reminded me more of an elephant’s, it was certainly related to an Apatosaurus, but bigger.
The stegosaur herd, the first herbivorous dinosaurs I saw, was coming in from the string that sprouted from this lake. There were also triceratopses: brownish, three-horned dinosaurs with a neck frill, four of them that were coming from within the jungle that started on the left of the lake.
My, it was a beautiful sight… I was completely absorbed by the scenery, I could feel my legs weakening and so I sat to appreciate the wonder of the view presented to me. After all the perils that this island put me through, it contemplated me with a sight like I never saw. Then, my urges came back to surface; I was thirsty and hungry once more. I figured if there was a village, I could find some decent meals there. So I got up and returned to the crossroad, heading to the village. Although, I had the feeling that something was out of place on the crossroads. Upon a closer, but quick inspection, I noticed there were footprints that didn’t exist before. They were as recognisable as water, with only two printed fingers on the ground… These were raptor footprints, raptors have gone past here not long before I went to investigate the growls up by the lake, I couldn’t believe my own luck – If I hadn’t gone there I would probably have met the raptors, as they came from the village and headed south.
But, if they came from the village, would there be more of them on my way there? Even worse, could the village have been overrun with them? No, my thoughts had to be positive. I had to keep a positive mind.
Chapter VII: Faded Hopes

On my way, I could listen to random hisses and growls that sent shivers up my spine; yet, they sounded slightly distant, which was enough to make me feel somewhat safe. Finally I could see buildings on the far, but not before I passed through what seemed a graveyard… corpses and corpses of dinosaurs laid there, stripped to the bone... the putrid smell of death filled my nose, good thing I hadn’t eaten anything in a long time, or I’d be puking right now. It was a mess; I didn’t understand how so many animals could have been there, then I looked up and saw a steep edge, with some tall grass above it, it seemed now clear these animals fell from there, but I don’t know what could have caused them to move near that edge, or perhaps I knew, just didn’t want to imagine it.
I carried on my way to the village. I could see the electrical wires ripped apart near the gate to enter the village, the gate itself was rusty, and seemed unused for quite some time. On its top, I could read “InGen – We Make Your Future”. What was that all about? Was it International Genetics? That bankrupt Genetics Company? And what did that have to do with Jurassic Park? Could it be that these animals were actually made by human hands? And then something went wrong? Yes, it is the best explanation that I could find, it made perfect sense! InGen probably relied on this research for astronomical revenue, perhaps they bankrupted because of what happened here.
As I crossed the gate and looked around I could see a mossy, old, abandoned building that has trees and vines growing in through the windows. It looked like it had been abandoned years ago, and the jungle was taking it back. On my right I could see a gas station and a rusted truck near it, with the glass from the passenger’s seat shattered. On the left was what seemed a small shack, with a hole under the door and a destroyed window on top; the shack was a mix between concrete and straw roof. In fact, the majority of buildings from that village had a similar theme. There was one big house on the end of the village; it seemed to belong to someone important by the size of it. I decided to enter the gas station. Perhaps it could have something for me to eat. To my sadness; there was nothing on the shelves that I could eat. All I saw were some tools and magazines. Not even clothes were on display. I went outside once more, now that huge building to my right caught my attention. It is obviously something important, taking into account dimensions, shape and geographical location… I decided to enter it. I opened the door. The first thing I could see was the balcony with a huge mural covered by vines, but I could see that it was about dinosaurs, jeeps with people and again with the logo Jurassic Park written on it. So, my hunch seemed to be correct – this was InGen’ doing.
What was once a white, small sofa was standing on the right side of the door, and a bigger one was on its left; no doubt this entrance was also a waiting room. On the left was what seemed to me to be a communication room, could that be my pass to freedom? Would I be able to call for help? I hurried to it, only to find out that the radio was dead. Another spark of hope that died out…

Chapter VIII: Deadly Version

I was disappointed, but I decided to keep looking, what harm could that do? I got out of the room and returned to the lobby. Now I noticed there was a telephone on the balcony; it was funny how someone can miss certain things at first sight. Yet, that wasn’t me at all; I used to notice every small detail. I just guessed that, being partially dehydrated and hungry, my awareness was reduced. I picked the phone up, already knowing it’d be dead, but was worth the try. The computer that was on the other side of the balcony was blank; apparently it had no power to feed it. “Just like the fences.” I went on to the door on the left. I was surprised to find out that on the other side of this double door, with wooden beams going from the middle to the corners and sides, two snack machines and a water dispenser rested.
I broke one of the snack machines’ glass and ate some chocolate bars that were there. Then I went on to the water dispenser, got my head under it and let the water pour over my face. Then I looked around, it resembled a meeting room. A large, oval table, still with some documents on top of it, was standing in the middle.
Apparently the people on this island left in a rush. They even left graphics in the huge board that was behind the table. There was also a big TV suspended in the farthest left corner. I went on and grabbed one of the booklets that had been left on the table. A quick read of the cover said “Jurassic Park: Progress reports”. My interest deepened as I read… on one of the first pages I could read: “Success of Y chromosome suppression: 99%”, but what did they mean with that? They tried to control the gender of the dinosaurs? Were they trying to avoid dealing with breeding in the Park? I could imagine it might certainly become a problem. Some pages after I read what appeared to be several attempts at the animals, each labelled with a species and a version, like “Tyrannosaurus rex – version 4.22; specimens counted alive until 1Q of 1993 – 2 (female shipment to Jurassic Park postponed by Mr. John P. Hammond); survival rate: 2.0%; temperament: unpredictable; DNA: 50%; recommendation: terminate project and start version 5.0 given recent completion of 75% of genome”, some pages afterwards I read “Velociraptor deinos – version 1.5.2; specimens counted alive until 1Q of 1993 – 20 (8 shipped to Jurassic Park); survival rate: 7.2%; temperament: aggressive; DNA Available at time: 100%; recommendation: suspend development and start individual antirrhopus and mongoliensis production”.
So the park seemed to be set somewhere else, definitely not on this island. Now that was interesting: two islands with dinosaurs? And what is it with “raptor deinos”? Could this be a hybrid of sorts? Before I could read anything else growls and hissings echoed through the complex, alerting me to trouble: raptors. They were here already. What chances did I have? How could I escape?

Chapter IX: Prey

I could hear them coming closer, the feet hitting the metal floor, and my heart bouncing forth and back, my eyes were wide open, despair was taking over. I could already see the shadows of their bodies reflected on the floor and walls. Finally my instinct kicked in, I jumped through a window, the glass scattered all around me, while getting up the shattered glass cut my hands, but I had no time to complain, I took the rusty jeep near the gas station and desperately tried to turn it on, but the motor was dead. I could hear the raptors calling from every corner, every house of that village. And what did I have against them? A cattle prod; all of the sudden the fact of having a weapon was no longer comforting. I could be killed without even having the time to use it!
I could feel them getting near me. I could almost smell them… Well, I wasn’t going to be an easy meal, if I were to die on that island it wouldn’t be inside that jeep. I got out and ran to the gate, I glanced back and could see one getting out of the communication centre, the luminous orange tinted skin contrasting with the black stripes as the sun hit its body, his head locked down on me. I kept running to the gate, the doors to the village were open and there was no time for me to close them, but if I could reach the other side, those were a lot easier to lock and gain me some time. I heard the sound of something hitting the ground, I was already at the end of the gate when a long, acute growl echoed from the raptor – it was starting to pursue me! By then I had grabbed a portion of the gate, and was striving for the other. I could see it now, and in a few seconds he had already covered the distance between the communications centre and the gate; it was already entering the gate when I managed to close it. I stepped back and tripped on my own foot, I could see the raptor looking at me, then it went back, and started moving to my left, I tried to figure out where he was going and then I recalled the broken fence!
I got up as quickly as I could and began running once more, I was now almost at the crossroad, I didn’t even care where I was going, my heart was beating so hard and the muscles on my legs were burning, but I had to keep going, I could hear the raptor growl, and it wasn’t getting any more distant, it was actually getting louder – he was catching up with me, even sprinting I couldn’t loose him… then I stumbled on another animal… It was mostly brown, red crests above the head and a white stripe running through the lateral areas of the body, then my sight moved to its feet, two toes were standing on the ground, but the third was up in the air – another raptor! I felt myself dying already. Now there was no salvation possible: two raptors? That’s it. It’s my end. But this raptor was taking it easily, growling at me, walking around me… until the raptor that was pursuing me arrived, that is… the tiger-like raptor didn’t even stop running, it just lowered itself, thrust the arms to the sides and forth, opened his hands exposing the claws, made a deafening hiss and charged forward. The brown raptor didn’t even have time to react, the tiger-raptor jumped on him, biting his neck and clawing the sides of the fallen raptor. I took that as a window to escape.

Chapter X:

Quickly I dived into the jungle, as I trespassed the dense vegetation I realised it wasn’t jungle, but a hill. My body began rolling down the edge. I felt as if I was a rag doll, I had no control over my fall. I finally felt my body hitting the ground… and my senses faded away. As I recovered I could feel myself wet. My clothes were glued to my body, soaked. I thought that it might be blood, and at the thought of it; I got up in a jump and looked down my body screaming only to find I was soaked in water. I had fallen back to the river; as I looked up I could see there was no way to climb it back up… And I wasn’t sure if that was even what I wanted to do.
But, what was that other raptor? Why did he get attacked? I remembered seeing a pack hunting me down, then why did he attack the other? It made no sense, unless they were from different packs. But, even so, why was it that different? Even behaviour-wise… while the other began pursuit of me, this simply stopped and… and played with me.
My body was hurting all over from the fall, my mind was in turmoil, and my legs were weakening as I walked. I felt my body coming near exhaustion, and so I was forced to make a break, simply falling to the wet ground. There I lay, gazing at the blue, cloudless sky, with the white sun blinding me.
I don’t know how long I stayed there, it seemed an eternity. So I was gazing, thinking about all that happened, and in the sorrow of the hard recall from the storm that got me here in the first place. All my friends are gone. I don’t know if they are alive or dead, but I’d presume them dead, when Jonathan stole the boat and fled we were all left to die, and I was the only one on shore.
Jess, Mickey, Clarice, Alan… All dead, and I could join them any time as long as I remained on this forsaken place.
Peter the Reaper
Mosquito
Mosquito

Return to Single Writer Fiction