RPG Requests

RPGs of varying sizes and genres. Enjoy!

Re: RPG Requests

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:03 pm

But by limiting it, it forces us into a corner and crushes creativity. Doesn't let us be creative, we got to "follow the universe's reality".
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby C S » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm pretty certain David and Jacob from DIRPG disprove that. The RPG itself is limited in duration and by the confines of its overarching plot, yet those two are the only ones who deviated from the main story to develop individually. In the end, even in limited premises, the creativity of a member could transcend the setting.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby raptor titanus3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:53 pm

And what happened to TT's Potential RPG? Diddn't we all agree that was interesting and should be further developed?
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 am

Fair enough. I just dunno.... maybe it's just becuase I'm not at all interested in Mass Effect that this doesn't rub me right, but whatever. It could work, though.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 am

Let me put it this way: playing the strict plotline and story following Commander Shepard and the Normandy in the first (and shortest) game itself takes, if you blaze through nothing but the main storyline and missions and do no side quests, 7-8 hours in and of itself. And that's just the main plot. If you include the obscene number of side things you can do, then add the second game and all of its side quests and DLC missions (Mass Effect 2 was a two-disc game, BTW), and THEN include the no doubt lengthy third game, you've got practically two weeks of gameplay.

And that's just the story of a small group of characters in one gigantic galaxy of variety. As one alien puts it: "The universe just LOVES diversity." Mass Effect has an entire background mythos that's been heavily expanded upon. It was made to be an RPG-style universe in the first place, which is probably why it has so much background information.
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby raptor titanus3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm

But not everyone has played the game, they might not understand everything and sitting all the lore and species right would take up a hole page! I'm sorry but this game just fits better in the E-war (Dormant though it may be) I think the Space E-war should be rebooted, If just a bit of a starting plot to get it going then it can sink into the abyss of an E-war
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm

I could easily list the most important information if necessary, and the rest can be provided via a link to the Mass Effect wiki, which is actually very comprehensive and useful. On top of that, I know enough that people could ask me questions if I was ever allowed to create the RPG in the first place.

Personally, I feel like it was a mistake to put all that stuff into the Space E-war. I should have just kept it at the Reapers. The problem is that there's so much, it's hard to put it into a different universe that has developed in a completely different way, because the Mass Effect universe really is its own thing, and in a different way than, say, Star Wars or Halo (those ideas can be, and obviously have been, placed in the Space E-war more easily).
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:35 am

Eh. I'd LIKE to try it, but I honestly don't think I could do it. I won't vote for it, but I recommend that others who think they can wrap their heads around it join. :P

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby dinoman666 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, if KP actually gave it the go-ahead, I would certainly try my best to make it "user-friendly;" in other words, make it simple to play in even if you have little knowledge of the ME universe.
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:27 pm

You get my vote, DM...

However, should your idea not take off, then I'd like to propose my own RPG idea... it's another RPG that'll have a definite end, but this time, it's mor efocused on paranoia and fear than DRPG is... though it too takes place on an isolated island, but not with dinosaurs... but with supernatural forces at work. THe actual plot and rules will be given out in a few hours (Hopefully)

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Pardon me for the double post, but here is the main idea for my new RPG

The year is 1986. The once great Cortinas family, who used to be incredibly prosperous and dated back to the early middle ages, is now on it's last legs. On a lone island in the pacific, the sole head of the Cortinas family, Kinzo, has no true heirs left to continue the family tree. Thus, driven to desperation, he decides to send out invitations to several distant relatives, whose origins lay back on the Cortinas family. These several people now gather on the island for a special meeting, where one of them will be chosen as the new head of the Cortinas family, and with it, over 14 tonnes of gold that Kinzo himself had hidden on the island. However, as they gather, it becomes apparent that there is a more sinister purpose for this gathering, and it may have to do with the rumored witch that lives in the forest on the island...

Rules:
1. No powerplaying (no characters who are incredibly powerful and capable of killing everything in their path). Hopefully, since the characters will be almost exclusively modern humans, (Or will they?) this won’t be a major issue.
2. No single sentence posts will be allowed unless they are useful to another player (ex: conversations that need the player being talked to to respond).
3. This RPG is more lenient about the killing of player characters. Death will come to alot of characters, that much is for certain, and characters can even kill each other, but only if it is realistic to do so. No slaughtering characters whenever you feel like it.
4. When writing in OOC, you MUST include some in-game writing about your character as well.
5. If you control a character, you cannot control an NPC. However, those who don't have characters can control NPC's...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 am

Woot! 1 down, two to go!

As for your idea, Gira, I'm still on the fence about it. I'm not much for suspenseful type stuff, but if I get a few more details, I might be a little more inclined to decide.

Also, just for the hell of it, I decided to post the basis for the Mass Effect RPG, if it ever comes to fruition:

It is the tail end of the year 2185. Commander Shepard, hero of the Battle of the Citadel, has once again saved the galaxy from the virtually unknown Reaper threat by destroying the Collector Base in the galactic core. However, as the Reapers begin their long journey towards the galaxy proper, it may take more than just the crew of the Normandy SR-2 to stop them. The entire galaxy will soon be at war, and there are many who are unaware, or in denial of, the coming apocalypse. This is the untold story of those people, the multitude of races and cultures that are busy going about their own, relatively peaceful lives in blissful ignorance. How long this stasis will last is what will decide the fate of galactic civilization...

Notable events (based off of certain choices made in Mass Effect 1 and 2):

1. Commander Shepard has the Spacer background and War Hero psychological profile (for details on these, look on the Mass Effect wiki, which I will provide a link to). For the sake of convenience, Shepard is male. He is primarily a Paragon in terms of morality.
2. On Noveria, Shepard freed the Rachni Queen and let her live.
3. Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams was KIA on Virmire. Kaidan Alenko had been promoted to Staff Commander in the Alliance military.
4. Wrex survived his confrontation with Shepard on Virmire, and is now the leader of Clan Urdnot on Tuchanka.
5. Shepard saved the lives of the Citadel Council in the Battle of the Citadel, and nominated David Anderson to be the human representative on the Council. Captain Anderson is now Councilor Anderson.
6. Morinth was successfully killed by Shepard and Samara (as opposed to Morinth replacing Samara on the Normandy's crew). Likewise, all of Shepard's squad members' "Loyalty Missions" were completed successfully.
7. Shepard completed the so-called "suicide mission" in the Collector Base with no casualties, and destroyed the space station completely instead of leaving it for the Cerberus organization (on a side note, Shepard opted to reactivate the Geth platform known as "Legion" instead of selling it to Cerberus, and the Geth is now a member of his crew).

NOTE: The events of the Mass Effect 2 DLC "Firewalker," "Overlord," and "Lair of the Shadow Broker" have already happened. However, the events of "Arrival" have not, as that scenario technically takes place at the beginning of 2186. As the RPG progresses, this will change, and it will also coincide with the events of Mass Effect 3 (once the game comes out).

Rules:
1) No player is allowed to kill off another player's character.
2) No single sentence posts will be allowed unless they are useful to another player (Example: Conversations that need the player being talked to to respond).
3) When Writing in OOC, you HAVE to include some writing about your character.
4) Powerplaying will not be tolerated (No completely unbeatable, invincible characters that constantly charge after things without the possibility of stopping it).
5) No personalities like "Kills everything in his/her path" will be tolerated. Characters must do something else as well as that (obviously, laws in most areas of the galaxy prevent killing sprees anyway).
6) Only certain species in the ME universe can be used, as the rest are too alien or unknown to be roleplayed effectively:
a. Humans
b. Turians
c. Asari
d. Salarians
e. Volus
f. Elcor
g. Hanar
h. Drell
i. Krogan
j. Quarians
k. Batarians
l. Vorcha
Obviously, no non-sentient or extinct races are allowed.
7) Unlike with the Space E-war, this RPG takes place entirely in the Mass Effect universe. As such, no crossovers or brand-new races/technology, etc. are allowed. Other than this, the only restrictions are technology's capabilities for the universe itself.

Mass Effect wiki: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki
Last edited by dinoman666 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 am

DM: It just seems like a very limited Space E-war to me. Not everyone will be informed on the ME universe and may not want to take the time to learn about it either. So it kinda excludes people from participating. Such is the way of every specific media based RPG/E-war.

Gira: I know you're going for the murder mystery type thing, and it has potential, but I doubt people are up for that sort of thing. Personally I'm not a fan of RPGs where EVERYTHING is dictated by a central controller. It has a tendency to murder creativity.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:26 am

@ TT: Lol, I see what you did there. But overall, I feel the same way- though a mystery RPG would be an interesting change of pace.

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 am

Information on your way, DM!

As for TT... It's actually alot less dictative than it sounds. Think DIRPG in terms of how much control I have; Alot, but not enough to prevent people from going off the beaten path and being creative, like KP and CS's characters. I love seeing creativity, and I would love to see what kinds of things people would pull out during this. I don't have the entire thing set in stone, so it's actually quite malliable, and what the users do can and will affect how the story plays out...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 am

TT: Maybe you have a point. Regardless, I'm going to leave it up to everyone to decide. If KP, as the admin, says I can't do it at all, okay. If I don't get any votes, that's also okay. If it's allowed AND I get enough votes, well, we'll just have to see where it goes.
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 am

Giratina93 wrote:Information on your way, DM!

As for TT... It's actually alot less dictative than it sounds. Think DIRPG in terms of how much control I have; Alot, but not enough to prevent people from going off the beaten path and being creative, like KP and CS's characters. I love seeing creativity, and I would love to see what kinds of things people would pull out during this. I don't have the entire thing set in stone, so it's actually quite malliable, and what the users do can and will affect how the story plays out...

That is not helping your case at all.

And personally I'd rather see a legit murder mystery, not one that involves witches and mysticism, if that's what you intend.

dinoman666 wrote:TT: Maybe you have a point. Regardless, I'm going to leave it up to everyone to decide. If KP, as the admin, says I can't do it at all, okay. If I don't get any votes, that's also okay. If it's allowed AND I get enough votes, well, we'll just have to see where it goes.

The admin? The webmaster, more like. I am still an admin, I just messed up the red one day and haven't changed it back. So you still have to get through me, don't worry.

But yes, the first step is to see if people are interested.
TyrannoTitan

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 am

My bad. Okay, so I have to make sure ALL the admins are okay with it. :P
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 am

.. maybe I said the wrong thing... What I meant was, I have SOME control over what happens, but more or less, the users drive the plot. I simply nudge them along in the general direction. I ain't gonig to have it be so that if someone doesn't do what I want them to, they get shot in the face. No, the story will adjust and bend to what happens. and like KP's character and CS's character in DIRPG prove, you can always go off the beaten path and be creative, which is what I'm hoping some users do.... And as for the witches... it's something that I like.

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 am

We shall see. Just know that if either of your ideas succeed, you need to be able to present something that we think would work. Expect criticism, and lots of it.
TyrannoTitan

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Fiction