RPG Requests

RPGs of varying sizes and genres. Enjoy!

Re: RPG Requests

Postby slashmaster101 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 am

Could we do a Elder Scrolls RPG? It could work if it was thought out between a couple of users
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 am

Most likely no. It would be pretty much Fantasy RPG, but with a lot more restrictions, and established lore.
TyrannoTitan

Postby slashmaster101 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 am

Alright, are we allowed to use elder scroll race's in FRPG?
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:25 am

Yeah, you are, my friend. In fact, a lot of my characters are inspired by the elder scrolls 'verse. :)
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am

Just remember that the elder scroll's lore doesn't apply there. IE there are no elder scrolls themselves.

But yeah races are fine.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Anaclagon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 am

any thoughts on possible RPG revivals on like POTC or ROTD?

Remember the Name
Anaclagon
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 am

POTC would require a pretty solid pitch to be reconsidered. ROTD is highly unlikely, since FRPG fills the niche of dragons in general, and GEW fills the niche of dragons VS technology.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:46 am

I'm certain your all familiar with DRPG and how it performed? Well, while I was on my extended laziness break, I had an idea form into my mind, another Limited Life RPG, like DRPG. It's been tossing and turning in my fertile brain for the last month or so, getting fine-tuned, prunned, and fluffed up for presentation. Now, i know I haven't been all that active recently, but I do see myself getting more and more active here in the weeks and months ahead, so I should have enough time for both this and FRPG, once me, KP, and G4E reach an agreement on that...

Subterranean Animism RPG

In the year 2017, scientists noticed an odd energy spectrum coming from Old Faithful that wasn't there before. Readings of the energy match nothing else known in science. When a probe was sent down into the geyser, it revealed that the energy source was actually a rift in time and space that led to a dark cavern in another world. Even moreso, signs of intelligent life on the other side have been confirmed just moments before the link with the ROV vanished without a trace. At this, scientists began to ask several serious questions, including:

Would they release this knowledge to the press?
Would the inhabitants of the Dark Blowhole come over into our world?
If they did so, could peace be reached between the both us and them?

In order to determine the answers to these questions, a team has been assembled to head down into the geyser and to the other side to investigate. THeir goal: to make peace with the inhabitants over there and to study them further. However, once they enter on the other side, things are quickly not as they seem...

Rules:
1. No powerplaying (no characters who are incredibly powerful and capable of killing everything in their path). Hopefully, since the characters will be almost exclusively modern humans, this won’t be a major issue.
2. No single sentence posts will be allowed unless they are useful to another player (ex: conversations that need the player being talked to to respond).
3. This RPG is more lenient about the killing of player characters. Some will die, that much is for certain, and characters can even kill each other, but only if it is realistic to do so. No slaughtering characters whenever you feel like it.
4. When writing in OOC, you MUST include some in-game writing about your character as well.
5. If you control a human character, you are NOT allowed to control youkai. If your character dies while on the other side, or you are late to join the RPG, then you are free to use whatever supernatural entity you wish. (within reason.)

More rules will be added on when I can think about them.. the 4 above are from DRPG, and I fele they should apply here...
Last edited by Giratina93 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:58 am

Well, DIRPG really kinda teetered off in the end. The biggest problem was that it was a bit too linear, I'm sure. If you can prevent that, I guess it can work, but after DIRPG's less-than-stellar results, I dunno how that'd fly.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:59 am

As an admin, I would say change the name (because its pretty bad, I'm sorry) and it would be fine as a pitch, at the most basic level. Just "see how it goes with the members".

As a possible participant, it does not get my vote. The premise is really really weird and bizarre. I'm not sure what the purpose of the RPG would be besides basically an interactive story. Gives little-to-no room for people to actually do things.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:07 am

@TT: You don't like the name? I don't see anything wrong with it... but if you insist, I'll change it...

And to both you and G4E, I'm not planning on this being too linear. I want people to go off and explore, to develop their characters and come up with interesting scenarios... Like KP and CS did in DRPG. They went out of the mold and behind the scenes, and that's the kind of thing I like... I want people to go do things, and not be led on a hcain through the adventure...

Besides, I like thinking outside the box. An unusual RPG might be abit refreshing...

A list of the various kinds of youkai* on the other side will be put up tommorow.

*youkai: A term that describes any kind of supernatural being. Demons, vampires, angels, spirits are all various kinds of youkai.

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 am

OUR ROBOT WENT IN AND WAS LOST

TIME TO SEND PEOPLE IN

and that is what is called a flawed premise.

Aside from a weak backstory, I don't like this because it gives very little detail to the world you are trying to create here, or rather, worldS

What constitutes as modern technology in 2017? According to Back To The Future we should have flying cars and hoverboards by 2015 so ???

You wouldn't send people into the unknown without proper equipment or training. Hell you shouldn't be sending people to this dimension in the first place but what the hell lets ignore that.

I don't think this RPG should be a temporary one. Too broad a scope to be covered in a few months, given people who go for it actually post. DIRPG was set on an island. This is set in...**** knows.

My suggestion would be to make this a future Sci-fi oriented RPG with fantasy themes in it. High tech armor and vehicles and the likes used by an investigative team with both scientific and military training.

Also please tell me this wasn't heavily inspired (copied) from some anime you watched. What the **** is a Youkai
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:44 am

Ooh, gira... what kind of shitstorm have you started? :P

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 am

Once again, your making me laugh far harder than I should, CS...

No, I did not get inspired by any anime. And as I already said, a youkai is an umbrella term used to describe supernatural entities like demons and vampires. Just think of it like that.

As for some backstory... Well, no real technological advancements. Too soon for that.

And the "flawed premise" actually does have reason to it that will be covered in-story. Not every story needs to be perfect.

Actually the group in question has recieved the proper training from those incharge of the investigation; around 6 weeks or so of it. Plus, it's rather hard to prepare for what you don't expect...

As for your suggestion, I will definitely put that into consideration. It'll help out alot.

And as for your other complaint, this can very easilly be set for a Limited Life... Though I guess I will incorporate the Future Sci-Fi stuff into it... I might make it a full-fledged one...

And G4E, I've been planning, scrapping out, and revising this idea with the help of a few friends of mine. I know what I'm doing...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 am

Ah. Just makin' a funny, ya know? :P

So, is the story you're aiming for ambiguous and open, so that the universe can be a bit more... mysterious, shall we say? Is that what you're aiming for? If it is, I think it can work out....

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:57 am

Oh yes, that is what I'm aiming for. A bit of mystery is a good thing...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 am

And the "flawed premise" actually does have reason to it that will be covered in-story.

So there's a reason why people would go into a clearly hostile environment even though they do not have sufficiently advanced technology to defend themselves? In addition they don't even know if the laws of physics are the same in a completely alien location because they lost their robotic scout? If you say so. Then again you say a lot of things that hold no ground.

it's rather hard to prepare for what you don't expect...

And that is what would stop this plot in its track if it were being realistic. No sensible person would commit to such a task without knowing the risks in full or being equipped with the best safe guards to ensure survival.

This is why I suggested the sci-fi element. Since you intend to have demons and **** be on the other side apparently, characters armed with regular guns and conventional gear would be slaughtered. In DIRPG the modern age soldier worked because the enemies in there were just animals. Deadly and prehistoric, but animals nonetheless. What would a bullet do to a demon?
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Point one which must be addressed

*youkai: A term that describes any kind of supernatural being. Demons, vampires, angels, spirits are all various kinds of youkai.

In English, supernatural is the umbrella term. The words demon(Daemon), vampire, angel and spirit are our ways of trying to describe the creature further.

For example, a demon is something purely evil, perhaps connected with Satan or his counterpart in whatever religion you subscribe to, a vampire is a parasite of some sort, an angel is a benevolent force, the counterpart of a demon, and spirits are presences of an unknown nature.

Introducing a random umbrella term for them, 'youkai' is redundant.
We already have a term describing supernaturals.
In English speaking dialects, the sound of the word youkai, presuming I'm pronouncing it right, is completely off kilter. Youkai is a pleasant sounding word to our ears, almost like a nick name you might give to someone. Not very appropriate considering that supernaturals are inherently unknown, mysterious and implicitly dangerous.

The only way it would possibly make sense to use the term youkai, is if we were all Japanese, or if the RPG was intrinsically linked to Japan. Which I have my doubts about, seeing as it's based in a geyser in yellowstone park.

----------

Ok that was just a rant about lifting inappropriate words into English.

Onto the more serious business.

So a big *** rift in space and time appears. Ok, I can get behind that.

So they decide to deploy a science team and make contact immediately? Wouldn't it make more sense to start small? Get a team inside the rift, make sure the place isn't completely and utterly poisonous, that kind of stuff. Learn more about what they've found before they decide to charge in and rattle cages?

To that end, why send a team when they could send in another robotic vehicle? it's 2017 for gods sake.

Also, CS, they're obviously not sending hobos in, they're going to send scientists.

What would a bullet do to a demon?

Depends on what the demon is made of. If it's a spirit, nothing. We don't have weapons for fighting spirits, because for all practical intents and purposes, there's no proof they exist.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Murloc Tyrannus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:49 pm

We could possibly have a Spore RPG based upon the creature stage?
"Side effects may include nausea, headaches, and DEATH." ~Valentine

"When you gotta go you gotta go." ~Ian Malcolm

Murloc Tyrannus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:24 pm

MurlocTyrannus wrote:We could possibly have a Spore RPG based upon the creature stage?

No.

Gira's RPG still sounds way too linear. Its not like scientists/marines/whatever would be like "LETS EXPLORE THIS ALIEN WORLD" as soon as they get inside. They'd want to get the **** out as soon as possible, especially if it was hostile, so their primary objective would be to escape/find a way back.
TyrannoTitan

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Fiction