RPG Requests

RPGs of varying sizes and genres. Enjoy!

Re: RPG Requests

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:25 pm

So I see... Don't worry, TT, I have ways of making sure things won't be all that linear... Sure they will want to GTFO once they're stranded, but if they realize that they're stuck there, then they'll have no choice but to try to adapt... unless a way to escape presents itself.

Doc, I guess it is abit redundant in that sense... I just find it easier for myself to refer to *insert random supernatural entity* as a youkai than "Oh my gosh, it's a supernatural being!" Plus, sure it may sound off, but then again, that's what the inhabitants of the other side refer to themselves as, if not in more specific terms.

And as for CS...

REVAMPED PLOT, GO!

Subterranean Animism RPG

In the year 2170, scientists noticed an odd energy spectrum coming from Old Faithful that wasn't there before. Readings of the energy match nothing else known in science. When a probe was sent down into the geyser, it revealed that the energy source was actually a rift in time and space that led to a dark cavern in another world, a world confirmed to have an atmosphere and gravity density much like ours.. However, a few seconds after recieving this information, the link with the ROV vanished. A second ROV was sent in to retrieve the first, but that one, too, was lost. Arguments ran across the board wherever to try and send a third ROV in, to assemble a team to retrieve both ROV's, or to jsut leave the matter alone. The second idea won out, and a team was assembled and trained. Their objective was only to retrieve both probes and then head back. However, not everything is as it seems, both on the other side, and on the home front...

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Ceratosaurus21 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm

The idea seems plausible to me, It just depends on the following it would get. I believe I would join it because it seems like an interesting idea but its all up to administration.
Ceratosaurus21
Cockroach
Cockroach

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Oh boy

So I see... Don't worry, TT, I have ways of making sure things won't be all that linear... Sure they will want to GTFO once they're stranded, but if they realize that they're stuck there, then they'll have no choice but to try to adapt... unless a way to escape presents itself.

To make the RPG nonlinear you cut options out of it and make it even more linear. GENIUS. Temporary RPGs are inherently linear since they rely on one overarching plot rather than several member based ones to progress. Ergo, it is hopeless to make a temporary RPG nonlinear. The only thing that adds variety are those who DO go off on their own, and the things they can do are limited by the base plot, as per DIRPG

I just find it easier for myself to refer to *insert random supernatural entity* as a youkai than "Oh my gosh, it's a supernatural being!" Plus, sure it may sound off, but then again, that's what the inhabitants of the other side refer to themselves as, if not in more specific terms.

You are obsessed with Japan. This is old news.

And your plot is still asinine for why would anyone go into a hostile DIMENSION to retrieve ROBOTS? Robots are meant to be expendable and after losing three in a fuckin row, you'd think mission control would take the hint that going into that place is a bad idea.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 pm

@CS
And your plot is still asinine for why would anyone go into a hostile DIMENSION to retrieve ROBOTS? Robots are meant to be expendable and after losing three in a fuckin row, you'd think mission control would take the hint that going into that place is a bad idea.

Because it's there? Do you really think human curiosity can be kept in check by "Well the robot dissappeared."
We shoot people into space on a daily basis in full knowledge that it's dangerous, but we do it anyway.
Wouldn't you want to investigate the possibility of a whole new WORLD being open to you?
Would you really just fold your arms and go "it might be dangerous, nobody is ever allowed set foot in it."
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Space travel is risky in practice with many things to be considered, protocols and precautions, in addition to all the computations needed to ensure a safe launch/ return. Even then, there aren't space boogey men waiting to tear you apart. If I may make a Dwarf Fortress comparison (SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT)

You can find a portal to hell but will you go into it because of curiosity? I sure as hell won't, not that it would stop the demons from coming out and wrecking everything.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm

@ Doc: Precisely. Why do people climb mountains, or head ot the bottom of the ocean, even though it's dangerous? Becuase they can. If the opportunity presents itself, then people will try to do it, no matter the risks. Oh, and they only sent 2 probes in. One of the options was to send a third robot in, but they veto'd that...

And I guess I will make this a full-length RPG... I don't like to have people severely limited in what they can or cannot do, but boundaries must be maintained as well...

Now, about those futuristic weapons and whatnot...

And CS, the scientists don't know what the portal leads to. For all they know from the data they gathered, the world looks to be empty and.or deserted. THey just want the ROV's back to get the fulll data listings... but then again, accidents do happen...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 pm

For all they know physics don't apply on the other side of the portal. You can understand the science behind climbing mountains or heading to the ocean floor. This is a portal to a completely different plane. A plane where NOTHING is known besides that there's life there, and apparently it is hostile/ the environment is too hostile for ROBOTS.

We send robots into space, the crushing depths of the oceans and even deep into volcanoes. Compare that to robots sent into a portal only to have them fail in minutes.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Well, to be more precise, it's not like "Robots went in, then aspolded." They just simply lost the signal to them, something that could easilly be attributed to signal interference, or design issues on the robots, or even sabutage.

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Refer to previous point about the laws of physics. Did the robot at least send back enough data to know if GRAVITY exists on the other side, in addition to the area around the exit portal? At least SOME information would warrant further experimentation, rather than complete nothingness.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm

*Points back up to the top post of this page.*

Yes, the robot did confirm that the other world had goth gravity and atmosphere near identicle to our own...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm

With that settled, the only issue I have is tech level. If the place on the other side works on the same principles as our plane of existence then proper technology to not only cross dimensions but to defend explorers from the dangers will be needed. I don't think modern tech will be able to cut it.

Also I think you should really get Firefox to help with your posting. Less typos
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Hence why I've decided to set it 100+ years in the future. I myself aren't really a mastermind when it comes to futuristic tech, so i might need some help on that...

This is what happens when I type at the speed of a Tengu... too fast, yet simply natural for me...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

For that I say leave it for the members to figure out. No need to impose a limit on what people can give their characters as they should already be able to apply the strengths and weakness approach to their gear. If someone starts powerplaying it can easily be rectified.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Alright... that settles that then...

A list of supernatural entities found on the other side will be put up later today. While a few will be based on Japanese mythology, there will also be those from Greek mythology and the Western World. People can feel free to add in their own kidns of supernatural entities, either those that I didn't know about, or their own, but again, no powerplaying...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 pm

The RPG as it stands now gets my vote.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Giratina93 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Long overdue (And this is the 3rd time I've had to type this out... Damn computer.) is the of the Supernatural found on the Other Side...

Oni: These ogre-like beings are humanoid in appearance, but are quite abit taller, and alot stronger to boot. They are beings that value honesty, and it is for this reason that they are distrustful of humans. They also love alcohol. They are characterized by the hhorns that sprout from their heads.

Tengu: Another humanoid found down in the depths, these creatures are characterized by their long noses and crow-like features. They revel in the art of war and destruction, and those found down here are criminals and convicts banished from the surface world. They are fast and deadly, able to reach speeds of up to 120 MPH.

Satori: Among the most feared of the humanoid races, the satori have the power to read the mind. No thought is safe from them, and conversations are meaningless. In battle, it's even worse, with them able to know every move the opponent makes. Such is the reason why they have been banished down here, into a world filled with monsters.

Tartarian Dragon: Reaching lengths of up to 35 feet, and weighing up to a tonne, the Tartarian Dragon is a two-headed menace that lurks within the darkest corridors of this subterranean world. One head lets out flammable gasses, and the other ignites it, creating a deadly fireball. Their claws can tear through steel, and though they are incapable of flight, they can climb the walls and cave ceilings with ease...

Kasha: A very rarely-seen demon, this is a cat-like creature with a burning tail. Only one such entity has been spotted, and it loves dragging the corpses of the dead into the deepest reaches of this world, where the heat is far too much for most others who live here...

Balrog (Go ahead... sue me.): A goliath of a demon, the Balrog is a flaming monster that fears very little. As tall as 25 feet, they tower over most of the inhabitants of this subterranean ghetto, but are typically found in the fiery regions deep below. Not that this has stopped some from appearing in places where they don't belong... They love bringing death and destruction on whatever they so please...

Makhai: Named after a prominent region found near this dark world, the Makhai are elite warriors of the being that rules this land. While vaguely humanoid, they are two bodies connected at the hip, allowing for one to cover the other's backside. Their blood is molten, and few dare stand up to their aggressive assaults...

Goblins: Short, greedy monsters, goblins are an annoyance, even for the other inhabitants here. Anything they see of value, they steal it for themselves. One goblin by itself isn't much of an issue, but they tend to travel in groups of 20 or more, and their bite pressure is 700 PSI. They can't stand light or heat very well, so they stay well clear of the deeper depths and the Ancient City that the Oni inhabit.

Hell Ravens: Resembling your average raven, Hell Ravens are found all thruought the region, but are most commonly found in the fiery depths. They are dim-witted and not very powerful, but when an intruder enters their space, they attack in force, and their ferocity is usually enough to drive the unlucky victim away. One in particuar is rumored to have ascended far beyond her kind in power, but is still very stupid. She is said to lurk in the deepest part of this dark region...

...That's all I can think of right now. Further suggestions and ideas are appreciated. Rules will be updated shortly... (I hope)

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Hmmm...

Revenant: Vicious creatures that takes the form of a cloaked ghost with a scythe. They can manipulate the minds of people into seeing horrific hallucinations, and have the ucnanny ability to blend in with the shadows. Their scythes are rusty, yet razor sharp, easily able to cleave through flesh and bone with one strike.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Evil Eye » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:02 am

A decent premise, but the way this'll play out sounds too much like it'll just be SSRPG on steroids. The only real differences I see are that it's set in the future, rather than modern time, and that it's not quite on Earth, though I suppose it could be if the creatures decided to make their way over. Neither of these effect the actual activity in the RPG significantly, in comparison to it in the SSRPG. What else sets it apart?
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby Giratina93 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 pm

SSRPG? I forgot about that...

Mainly, while SSRPG was demons coming onto our side, it's us heading onto their turf... Plus, there's abit more variety here than there was in SSRPG(Especially if more people can submit their ideas)... Among the major diffrences is that it's a more expansive area...I'm planning on having it be so that the demons and whatnot can come to our side as well, but not necessarily as hostiles... well, some of them won't be... SO if it goes right, then there'll be two diffrent environments (At least) for players to alternate between with ease... Other key diffrences... well, let me get back to you on that...

It's a fine balance between freedom and boundaries that I want to maintain... I want to encourage the former, while maintaining the latter...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Shade » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 am

*Wakes up after 20 years*
What?! SSRPG coming back, what?! Hey, I'm back. I doubt anyone's excited about the idea of bringing that back, as for me, I would like it to come back, if we had stricter rules on the species perhaps it would be better or something? But I would love to it come back, I had the most fun on that one. Maybe we could do a follow up or something?

Like a year or so after all the stuff from the other RPG?
Sugar. Spice. Everything twice. I'm the left and the right, in a word: Nice.
Shade
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Fiction