Lore of Leyuna RPG (FRPG)

RPGs of varying sizes and genres. Enjoy!

Re: Lore of Leyuna RPG (FRPG)

Postby The Kingpin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 pm

"That has nothing to do with it," chirped Ceridwen, neck craning as she fixed the mage with one of her shimmering eyes. "Calves drinking from their own mothers are completely acceptable. But... taking milk meant for their young to feed yourselves... That's... That's absolutely vampiric!"
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 am

"I will be candid in saying my understanding of farming goes as far as my understanding of vampires and vampirsm in general. Even so, from what I do know, I am pretty sure the comparison is a smidgen extreme." Evisa turned to Ceridwen and held her thumb and forefinger apart ever so emphasize her argument. "As I see it, vampires drink blood and leave their victims to roam everlasting, also compelled to drink from the living until released from their undeath... somehow." Evisa shrugged, being of the sort that found the notion of killing that which was already dead oxymoronic. On that note, she looked forward again and deadpanned, "Milk farmers just collect the milk that a calf doesn't use. Helps with our bones, if I recall."

"Farm-kept cows that are specifically milked are fed ample amounts during the period of their calf-burden so that they can keep producing," Natalie pointed out with scholarly confidence. "... And regular milking encourages the cow to keep on producing milk well after the calf has been delivered. Those that are milked throughout winters are fed from stockpiles since pastures are short on grass. That's why I find it so... pleasantly unusual that you get a share of that, Evisa."

"And I use my shares to let a bunch of babies play, and use the remainder of that to sleep on... now I feel bad," the viking replied. Though she spoke in jest, there was a noticeable weight that bore on her tone. Natalie was poised to affirm that she did not mean any negativity by her comment, however Evisa was quicker to ask, "Where did you get your farm-wits?"

"Oh," Natalie said, needing a moment to redirect her articulation of thought from being apologetic to satisfying the other woman's curiosity. "I used to help one of my uncles on his farm when I was a girl. 'Help' might be an overstatement though; the hard labor was always a bit much for me, but I listened to him when he explained his methods. I was a good listener, I'd like to think."
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Ceridwen had seemingly stopped paying attention once she saw that she was completely outnumbered in this, choosing instead the path of silent displeasure while Natalie and Evisa discussed the minutia of efficient animal exploitation.

Beshayir noticed this, and silently reached a hand to the dragoness's shoulder, giving it a gentle rub. Ceridwen's gaze met with the young elf's own and saw the concerned expression on her face, but the dragoness said nothing to help ease it. The elf knew, of course, why the Thunderkin reacted the way she did. After all, she had seen the avian dragoness at her lowest moment, recently freed from a dragonslayer's cage, the horrors of captivity burned into her mind in every respect save the physical. To expect her not to be unsettled and disturbed would be naive. But to expect the others to know that was unreasonable.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:29 am

Fortunately for the Maelgwyn dragon's sensibilities, Evisa did not intend to explore the fine details of the verger's country heritage, recognizing that the inquiries into her old life had the potential to strike a raw nerve and undo all she had achieved thus far with her uncommon company. In so doing, Evisa also navigated around Ceridwen's unspoken discomfort with unintentional tact.

"I wasn't much of a listener myself when I was young. I liked to train; hitting things as hard as I could, lifting and throwing heavy weights. I didn't like having grownups tell me how to train, even if they did know best. After a while, a few of my trainers started getting me to do tough chores. They told me, 'you're so super tough, no one else in Vanguard can do these jobs', and of course I believed them because I thought I was the strongest tot on top of the world. I ended up doing the routine they wanted me to stick to in a sneaky roundabout kind of way. Didn't realize it until I was a few years older," the viking shared as she led the way to the Thimeyrans.

"What did you do then?" Natalie asked, naturally.

"I got upset, for starters, but I remember there was a bucket nearby and I saw my reflection in the water before I could throw a fit. I remember thinking that I looked awesome. It was about that point I realized that the old-timers were probably speaking sense and I started giving them less of a hard time coaching me from there on in."

"Ah."

"Going back to what Ceridwen said before, I'll have the rest of milk that we don't use in our query. Helps keeps the body strong!" Evisa flexed an arm to demonstrate, her bicep and several other nearby muscles in her shoulder taking on notable definition underneath her dark scaled armor.

Their early morning outing was a mundane quest for cream and foreign drink, and they were but halfway through their venture. It would not do for this abject silliness devised by the Lady of Light to sour before they even got to use the milk that had eluded them -- namely her -- for as long as it had.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 pm

It was a peculiar change from the Storyteller's usual routine to be anywhere but the city hall library for once. It had taken Beshayir quite by surprise to learn that he was upstairs, even more so when the reasoning he had apparently given those around them had been 'A breather from the books.'

But sure enough, Faruq was closed away in Desrium's office, in a comfortable chair by the window, an arm resting on the windowsill. The Storyteller stared out over the city from the loftiest spot outside of Septimus Place. The warmth fireplaces was a good enough reprieve from the cold of this distant land, but they had a penchant for giving off a sense of stuffiness inherent in the nature of such warmth in closed areas. On times like those, he retreated to somewhere he could more easily breathe, even if those breaths came forth in thick plumes of vapour as they rapidly cooled. The steam wafted out of his cup of qahwa like the smoke of the world's smallest volcano, swirling and wafting away in the chill breeze of the morning whenever the drink wasn't being drained from its cup. The eldest of the Thimeyrans in Brodudika was a contemplative one by nature, but today he was exceptionally lost in his own thoughts.

So much so that it took a second series of knocks on the door to get his attention, a rough "Yes?" coming from his hoarse throat in response a moment later, once he'd managed to swallow the uncomfortably large sip of the still-very-hot-qahwa.

Behind the door, Beshayir looked towards Evisa, having lost her nerve after putting it all into actually knocking on the door.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:03 pm

The tall woman obliged without overtly acknowledging the deferral so that Beshayir could hold onto her pride. "Evisa Canton, with guests. We have a small request for you, mister Faruq. May we come in?" she said confidently, staring ahead into the door in an almost soldierly fashion. Honestly, part of her mind went to speculating what the abode of a metal person would even look like, past the enticing entrance. What about it drew the elf from distant sands from the rows and rows stocked high with pages and leather?
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 pm

"Oh," responded Faruq quietly behind the door. A moment later, there was a creak, and a few thudding footsteps before the doorknob twisted, and the door swung open. The silken-bearded elf looked from Evisa to the guests with a surprised expression and something of a smile that wasn't quite fully formed, particularly when he saw Beshayir. "Please, come in," he said as he stepped back, pulling the door wide and gesturing towards the furniture within.

Their senses met with the gentle lighting and earthy aroma that had been the Storyteller's company for most of the morning. On a small side table by the window, was a traditional pot and the distinctively familiar cup that Faruq used to drink his qahwa. "I apologise for my surprise... I wasn't expecting company today. Things have been rather quiet as of late, endless books notwithstanding. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 pm

"A little girl's curiosity, for the most part, though I realize we haven't been properly affiliated either all this time," Evisa replied upon stepping into the room. A quick glance to her left and right was all she needed to ascertain the quality of Desrium's lodgings. Sparse, plain, and yet wholly fitting for his specific circumstance. It said a lot that the barrel situated off to the side of the door was the most egregious part of the armored being's so-called decorating. The cause of all those mystified murmurings. Nevertheless, Evisa motioned for the others to follow her, perhaps not paying enough regard towards Natalie's own trepidation.

Only on the precipice of meeting a city advisor, did the mortifying dread begin to bubble and churn in the verger. Would the elf recognize her? She made a conscious decision not to speak, and moved in the hopes of not drawing attention to herself. It was the preferable alternative to being singled out for her hesitation.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm

"The mechanisms of a windmill have many moving parts, many never meeting one another through their distance, I have learned from the books in the library," started Faruq as he watched Evisa, Beshayir and Natalie enter, closing the door behind them as he returned to his chair, taking his cup and sipping from it gingerly. Only after that, did he conclude the anecdote. "Our purpose in the success of this city is much the same. You have your duties, and I have mine. We have crossed paths, in name or otherwise, enough for me to remember."

Natalie's apprehension did not escape him. It wasn't difficult for him to see why. The last time they had crossed paths, she was at the gallows as a lure for her former accomplices. His expression had been a stern one then, both for the pain that she had inflicted upon others, and for the sake of the ploy maintaining its believability. He would have to rectify that impression soon. It would not do to have Thimeyran hospitality tarnished by such sentiments.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Evisa chuckled, oblivious to the nigh imperceptible exchange between the church-keeper and the Storyteller. "I do leave quite an impression with people," she said in an almost introspective way. "It goes without saying that your reputation certainly precedes you," the viking added thereafter, "though the curiosity I mentioned before doesn't entirely entail a lesson. And it may make for one strange way to remember me by..."
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm

The elder Thimeyran's brow raised, intrigued by her choice of words. "Oh? What may that be, pray tell?" he asked, his cup never fully leaving his lips as he continued to sip it slowly every few moments. He noted the small pail in the viking's hands, wondering whether there was a connection. It did seem quite peculiar. And unfortunately for him, if the others knew the reason, their expressions did nothing to tell him of it.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 pm

"I've come to learn that there is a drink that elves from the desert are partial to. I'd like to have a go at a round of tasting if possible. I brought my own milk for... variety," Evisa explained to Faruq, specifically wording the request so as to keep any rejection from falling back to Beshayir.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm

"Drink that we're pa-" started the Thimeyran, his eyes shifting from the viking, down to his cup, and then to Beshayir. "It's not normally had with milk. It dilutes the flavour substantially. But you wouldn't be the first foreigner to do so. Beshayir's... Miss Letant, is also partial to that combination."

"It is a bit strong for unaccustomed palettes," offered Beshayir quietly at that, which surprised the Storyteller.

"That is a fair point, I'll admit. But it is a rather difficult to acquire drink. If you do find it to your liking I may have to make a request for a larger supply next time a caravan is headed to Thimeyra," he stated, looking around and realising he had another complication to the matter. "Well I would gladly let you have some, but I'm afraid Desrium does not make a habit of stocking cups here. And I never anticipated having company who would be interested in tasting qahwa. Most give me strange looks and wonder why I am drinking 'muddy tea'," he explained, managing a chuckle that came off as pity-filled.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 pm

"Such a lack of adventurous spirit, here of all places. That's disappointing," said Evisa with a sympathetic tone that Natalie noted was fairly different than her usual bombastic default.

Feeling the inexplicable need to be the uplifting voice in this case, Natalie stammered to throw together an argument that quickly became, "Beshayir did say it was overwhelming for the uninitiated senses. If something overpowers the sense of smell, then it becomes a lot less appealing to taste, no?"

Evisa shrugged. "I'm no picky eater." Some dishes from the north took a strong stomach to keep down.

"Cups, nevertheless," Natalie pressed.

"Are there still cupboards for the meeting rooms here?" Evisa asked Faruq.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:53 pm

"Perhaps. Either there or the kitchen. We could go downstairs and retrieve them, if you don't mind waiting just a bit longer," offered the Thimeyran as he stood, downing the last of his drink and setting the small cup on the table.

"I could get them," offered Beshayir, her mood brightening substantially at the lack of a refusal from the Storyteller.

"What kind of host would I be if I allowed that?" asked Faruq incredulously. "You are a guest in my home. I'll not send you to get the cups while I stay up here. You may accompany me if you like, however," he stated firmly as he made his way towards the door, clutching his robe and pulling it up ever so slightly for the descent to the lower floor...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 pm

"It's always easier going down the stairs than up, and Ceridwen won't have to be alone outside for much longer," Natalie added with some fettered enthusiasm.

"I wouldn't feel right standing around while someone... a lot of years... my senior did all the work," Evisa responded nonchalantly, as if the suggestion was a nonissue, and her decision a foregone conclusion.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Sighing, the elf resigned himself to his guests' disregard for hospitality. "Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying. Everyone always insists on doing the work anyway, even when hospitality falls on the host," he mused as he made his way to the ground floor.

From there, it was a weaving venture to the kitchen around the typical queues of heroes for hire, advisors, politicians and the various experts that populated city hall during working hours. Eventually, the elf found himself in front of a cabinet where he kept his supplies. He didn't have much cause for accessing it, and it was really shared between himself and his two colleagues, so he was never sure what he had in here. But as luck would have it, he found a half-dozen more similar sized cups, and retrieved three of them, one atop the other in a little stack. He also retrieved a tightly wrapped bag, which felt as though it must be made of some kind of firm leather or paper. Handing it to Beshayir, he closed the cabinet and made his way back upstairs.

The younger of the two elves knew without thinking what it was she was just handed. Pre-roasted, powdered and reduced to a form that could actually dissolve, this was an easier variant of the drink that they were served in Antar's company, and of that which her grandparents drank fairly frequently. No doubt, Faruq had requested this so that he wouldn't have to go through the full-blown procedure that was involved in preparing it otherwise. It wasn't quite as strong as the normal variant of the drink, but most wouldn't be able to tell the difference either way. Even Beshayir had a hard time guessing half the time. She just remembered the packaging because it was the same stuff she used to watch her grandfather sell in the bazaar back home.

"I will warn you. It is a bitter drink. The ones calling it muddy are not entirely wrong, if flavour were the only criterion for their judgement." His warning was clearly aimed squarely at Evisa and Natalie, whom he had stubbornly objected to handing over the cups to, what with Evisa already carrying a pail of milk and Natalie being a complete stranger and newcomer in their company. Even if they were willing to pitch in, he wouldn't have any of it.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Natalie bit the inside of her cheek as a result, growing conflicted. Part of her worried that her palette would not be receptive to the novel partaking, yet she did not want to seem adverse to new experiences, something she felt would upset Evisa. Bitter did not bode well with her, however. There were some vague recollections, of certain roots and vegetables, that made her tastebuds recoil. Her lips almost contorted into a sour countenance as a reflex to the imprint these memories left on her.

In Natalie's silence, Evisa's reply was straightforward and ever-bold. "That's on them. If they've already drank... or eaten mud to get a taste for it, I can't imagine what harm some flavored-sand can pose to us."
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 pm

"Fair enough. Don't say I didn't warn you," said the elf with a smile. His expression soon evened out however, replaced instead with a thoughtful expression, his brows furrowing as another consideration came to mind.

"Something wrong?" asked Beshayir curiously.

Faruq shook his head. "I had been meaning to make a fresh batch anyway, but the qahwa I was drinking isn't finished, so my pot is upstairs. We'd need to get another pot and then heat it, but that will take time. I had expected the water to be boiling already, but it seems that after my last batch, the fire was put out."

"We could do it. We just need the pot and the water. I know some pyromancy," offered Beshayir with a smile.

"I wouldn't want you to go to the trouble," stated the Storyteller.

The younger Thimeyran shifted uncomfortably at that. "It's no trouble... And besides, it's either that, or we go our separate ways without ever having the qahwa. I'm sure Natalie and Evisa have places they need to be fairly soon," she claimed, looking to the viking and the verger for support. She didn't want to mention the fact that she had a class to attend, not wanting to seem rude and selfish in front of her elders.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby C S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 pm

"Think of it as a practice exercise that you helped to host," Evisa offered. "A warmup for a warm drink to... stay warm... with."

Natalie merely smiled and nodded her head in agreement. The elven girl conjured fire from her fingertips, and the viking shone like the sun when she was so inclined. Heat was not an issue between the two, but time was getting away from them.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Fiction