Primal Carnage

Video game reviews and discussion.

Re: Primal Carnage

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Its still under construction for you? Its online for me. Nothing really big shown, but I won't spoil it for you go check for yourself.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 pm

I wish they would go and ahead and at least announce the month of release though,I've been waiting long enough for this game to be released
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Oh ya, I saw that as well.

This sums it up quite well:
-E3 comes-
*nothing*
-E3 goes-
"We're still here!"
*more nothing*

There is NO forgiveness for missing out on the number 1 gaming media event. They're screwed.

TyrantTR wrote:On the first note, I'm not sure if your right there, but the improved demo playable at Pax east had the rexes full stomping and biting attacks and from what I here they killed puny humans just fine, I don't bet by the time the game is released the rex will be the tank you all want it to be.

On the second note, I wouldn't hold it against em.
They're an Indie team held together by generous donations, which isn't much. Trying to develop a game with minimal to no funds isn't easy. (and I would know, I've had less luck then Lukewarm)

You realise, on their main page, they have professional pictures of professional models, modelling their Primal Carnage merchandise (which I sincerely doubt have sold more than a hundred units)
Indie games are very difficult to develop, but it doesn't help that they don't know how to manage their resources.

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you, but now days there are too many Indie developers who know their shi*. Its hard to sympathise with the guys who go off and blow their money on expensive hardware and assets only to completely fail to deliver a satisfactory product.

EDIT: on further inspection, the merchandise ad appears to have been removed, which only goes to highlight the point I made.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm giving up on Primal Carnage. No matter what we've been shown it's not enough to convince me there's some actual progress being made. Besides, with the new Jurassic Park game and Alice: madness returns, I'll be entertained enough that I don't need this game. XP
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:20 am

I've still got hope, but, like Gandalf in LotR, 'tis but a fool's hope by this point.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:55 am

Mr. Crow wrote:You realise, on their main page, they have professional pictures of professional models, modelling their Primal Carnage merchandise (which I sincerely doubt have sold more than a hundred units)
Indie games are very difficult to develop, but it doesn't help that they don't know how to manage their resources.

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you, but now days there are too many Indie developers who know their shi*. Its hard to sympathise with the guys who go off and blow their money on expensive hardware and assets only to completely fail to deliver a satisfactory product.

As a marketing thing a lot of those T-shirt selling sites will cut and paste there customer's design onto pictures of previously photographed models using photoshop. I used to notice it a lot on those kinda sites when I saw the same smiling face in the same pose wearing a different shirt. Granted, the t-shirts alone were probably not the best of ideas, but I doubt much money was spent on the advertising of them so much as the production.

A lot of Indie devs don't just "buy" expensive hardware and software, where do you think the money will come from to afford such things? What Indie dev's look and hope for are sponsor's and publishers. Primal Carnage has found multiple sponsors thus there expensive hardware, its been given to them because said sponsor believes in there product.

And when you say there are too many smart indie developers who know their **** you do have a point. But there are FAR more Indie devs who don't know what the hell there doing. Game designers aren't meant to be business men, and we don't have the cash in our pockets to afford financial guidance. Sometimes mistakes happen.

IMO I think if people want to find a reason to lose faith in Primal Carnage then they should have more legitimate reasons then bad marketing decisions.Lose faith in it because the rex looks like a bobble head, or because the whole cast of human characters is chalk-full of racial stereotypes and goofy character. Lose faith because the nemesis system isn't to well planned out, and lacks real balance. Actual game design is more my concern then bad business moves. I care more about the development of the game then I do the mistakes made by the developers themselves.

Just the two cents I felt like throwing out there, :P take it or leave it.

Though I do agree with you all that the devs assuring you that the game is "very much alive" is an old and tired excuse. Its been months without an update and I'm starting to lose interest, they better wow me with the next thing they show like they did when they revealed the PAX east content. Hell maybe they'll go to PAX west, here in seattle. Might have an excuse to go there, aside from Uncharted 3 which might or might not show. >_>
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Believe me, I've already lost faith for those reasons and more. However, the most common defence is to say that "it's still alpha" and that "they are working on it" or whatever. I suppose your right in that you can't blame them for bad business choices, and really, we don't know what kind of business choices they've made.

However, you definitely can blame them for bad development choices. What we see of game play is definitely important, nobody can ever judge how a game will properly play just from a few teasers and videos. They haven't exactly gone out of their way to highlight it either. The foundations are a cause for much greater concern, as without good stable foundations, any game will fall apart.

By good foundations, I mean functionality, actual game code. In developing anything, you start with proof of concept code and place holder artwork. You prototype and test constantly, so that by the time your artwork is reaching industry standards, it's ready to slot into the game and you move on.
You can't do it the other way around. because if you run into a problem with your code after having finished the other stuff, you have to go back and re do everything. And then you hit development hell

The reason I lost faith in Primal Carnage, was that they pitched a great idea and plan, and then didn't stick to it.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

And THAT is something I can agree with. I look forward to playing Primal Carnage but they only had my money the minute it was shown its about dinosaurs. Whether it will turn out good remains to be seen and we all have a right to be somewhat skeptical.

Part of what annoyed me is that they are reluctant to develop console versions of the game, but already have a topic on the forum asking if anyone wants an Iphone/Android spin off. I think what they really need is to focus on the development of there current game, and not all the things outside and in-between.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:39 am

Hopeflower wrote:I'm giving up on Primal Carnage. No matter what we've been shown it's not enough to convince me there's some actual progress being made. Besides, with the new Jurassic Park game and Alice: madness returns, I'll be entertained enough that I don't need this game. XP

I would give up on it too HP but....I don't know I guess I'm just hoping that a good dinosaur game will be released in recent years,it's been a while since a dino game with real thought and effort came out(if you ask me)and PC seems to be the only shred of hope I've got so I'm still hoping in vain for it's release
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:05 pm

There have been. Battle of Giants Dinosaurs Strike for the Wii is very good (I'll review it properly later), and the new JP game looks to be good as well.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Ah but I was referring to games that had been released I have no doubt that one will be great,I didn't even know BGDS was even out,I was wondering if it had been cancelled.Still have it's DS predecessor and play it occasionally
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby InfernalAngel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 am

I just registered on the forum on that site, username " Infernal ", but it looks decent, for an indie game. It won't exactly have the greatest graphics ever, and it may get a bit monotonous, but it's got Dilophosaurs, and a chick sniper :D I'm in!
"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

"They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace."
InfernalAngel
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby Monster of Aramberri » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:22 am

Yeah this is the dinosaur game of the moment, the only other multiplayer dinosaur game being released soon is Orion, but it doesnt let you control dinosaurs, it just has npc ones like Turok.
Monster of Aramberri
Worm
Worm

Postby TyrantTR » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:28 am

I heard Orion was canceled on account of the developers being nasty guys that would take what they could from asset artists and not pay or credit anyone. It's also a virtual clone of Halo... just with dinosaurs.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:31 am

Orion looked pretty bad anyway. Can't say I'm sad to see it go.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 am

Looked it up right now. It IS a halo clone with dinos. Even the guns and the vehicles look the same! At least other games try and make their stuff look different. It looks like they got the engine and replaced covvies with dinosaurs!
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am

Galaxia: No, in fact I recently came to own a copy. XP

I'd think it would be easy to come up with a good original plot for a dinosaur game...One that doesn't involve ripping off other preexisting games. I mean, they're ONLY giant prehistoric reptiles that have fascinated humankind for generations...and there's enough of them to make another set of Zoo Tycoon games based solely on them. XP

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:07 am

If only HP,if only....

Still no release date,this is getting tiresome
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby InfernalAngel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:24 pm

I made a name, like I said earlier on the Primal Carnage Forum, theres lots of information there.
"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

"They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace."
InfernalAngel
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby TyrantTR » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm registered on the forum too... There hasn't been any news in months. But at least they can assure us "something big's coming" right?
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to General Games