Telltale's Jurassic Park

Video game reviews and discussion.

Re: Telltale's Jurassic Park

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Doc: F*cking Trilby's Notes. Great game, had the right amount of psychological horror and actual gore. Not many people find that balance. Watched a playthrough and I gotta say, that part of the game made me go "F*CK. Move move move, you idiot!" And then the player got killed. 8D

On-topic though. I agree that some point-and-click games were and still are pretty good, like the Elvira games, and a few others I own. But somehow I don't feel it would suit this particular Jurassic park game. Point-and-click games don't really offer much variety; something I enjoy in games. Broadening out, as this game is trying to do, may be a welcome change.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 pm

If I'm feeling casual a point and click game could be just what the doctor ordered,though I still can't seem to think of a JP one,maybe I should give the game a go first before judging it
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrantTR » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Mr. Crow wrote:Hmph. I don't agree that point n click isn't suitable. Point and click adventure games have made fun survival sequences in the past. I don't really understand your that in point and click your input is severely limited. Maybe it's because of my lack of familiarity with Telltale themselves. Who said everything was going to be spelled out blatantly for you? In an adventure game your given a situation, you use improvising and wit to work out your choices, then you use logic and reasoning to pick the best one. Where does survival come in? if you pick the wrong choice you can end up in an even worse position than you started off in. You could even be killed outright for a particularly stupid mistake.

The one game I've ever played which comes close to what you even described was Trilby's notes, a freeware adventure game where you had to type in commands (old school)

It was a horror game, and pretty damn scary. At one point I suddenly found one of my friends possessed and warped into the antagonist. They had already knocked me to the ground and I had a space of about 3 seconds in which to act before it executed me. I frantically typed in the first command which came to my head (something along the lines of "KICK THE F***ER IN THE FACE") and it worked.

On the contrary, other more mainstream survival horrors that I've played (Resident evil, JP: Trespasser) came down to just running away from everything slower than you and shooting everything faster than you.

Honestly, I love('d?) point and click games. A good portion of my childhood was spent playing point and click games, Hell I remember a "Mysterious Island" point and click game where you had to find and collect the materials for various things like making fire and such. What I also remember is that these games where as linear as they get. In the Mysterious Island game, when finding the right rock for the fire, there were rocks all over the place, but every play-through you had to pick up a very specific one. This is the kind of linear game-play the modern game was designed to avoid, because frankly, its boring as hell.

When I said your input is severely limited what I meant was this. When you play there is a VERY specific way in which you have to get around obstacles. In a more interactive game, there is nearly infinite.

Lets put it like this, say this game was made both as a First Person adventure game, and as the point and click game now. Say you come to a point where you have no weapons, and a T-rex is blocking your way into a building. In a point and click game it'd probably give you a series of options for things to do, one (or sometimes two) of them would be right. Yes it is a thought provoking process but it rarely FEELS like its the character's fault if you pick wrong. Often times it'd play a cutscene in which you see the character doing something uncontrolled by you to get around the rex.

Here is where the difference lies. In a far more interactive game it is entirely your fault if you die, not only that trial and error (a very important part of survival) takes place, where you can realize going one way was a terrible option, and back out before it becomes fatal. You're the master of your own direction, and you chose one of the infinite paths you could take to get around the rex. THIS is what defines games of this generation, this is why I far prefer something like Trespasser to what we're given now. Choice is crucial in both types of games, but its far more dumbed down, and not nearly as complex as it is in real life. Point and Click games give you so much less control and interaction. And as much as I loved games like Mysterious Island and Spy Fox (lol) there is a reason most people don't play those games once they past a certain age.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:06 pm

I suppose its less about genre, more about the level of interactivity they grant you, and I agree with you that interactivity should be one of the main pillars of the game. However, while a clever developer can bring this out in an adventure game through subtle hints and a range of viable choices to any given scenario (IE: attacked by raptor, do you: A) attempt to fight it off hand to hand B) grab a nearby pipe and smack it C)run to the nearest door as fast as you can D) pull down the vending machine to your right, trying to block its path etc etc) This would make the game quite linear, as the developer would have had to have predicted what solutions the player comes up with, however, it means that almost anything is possible in a given situation, so there is no way of knowing how something will work out until you've tried it.

The advantage is that the moment you try something, you know straight away if it was the right or wrong solution (or something in-between)
With a first person game, you can't be sure if it didn't work because its the wrong solution or because your just not doing it right, this problem is compounded by the sheer amount of options available to you at any one time. in the adventure game, the games knows that everything you do will be aimed at getting away from the raptor, but in the first person game, they can't just change your controls mid game so it can be very difficult for the game to work out exactly what your trying to tell it to do. I'm reminded of Tomb Raider, where I attempted to leap up a wall, scrambling away from the horrific monsters chasing me, but instead lara decides to pull a lever, taking 5 seconds to do so, and getting horribly mauled.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Galaxia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Well if the games interactive then all the more reason to play it
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIUnvSguF0Q

Gotta say, I was losing hope, but after seeing this, it seems like something worth picking up.
TyrannoTitan

Postby C S » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Tyrannosaur: HERE I AM TO SAVE THE D- *rams one of the characters through the door*....Whoops...sorry

This game and Skyrim are on my must get list, for sure
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Hopeflower » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:03 am

Goddamn. November 15th can't come fast enough. X3
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:08 am

Game looks tough! Might get it, might not, but overall, I'm pretty impressed.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Hopeflower » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, since the release was yesterday, may as well give this topic a bit of a jump-start....off my iPod. (lolRonWhitejoke.)

Anyway. How many people didn't notice the date or remember, like me? XD

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby C S » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 pm

I thought it was this Friday :/
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Hopeflower » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:17 pm

November 15th, according to everywhere I've looked. Yesterday.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby dinoman666 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Yep. Got my parents to buy it for me yesterday, but I won't be able to play it until the weekend. I'll probably give my opinion of it then.
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 pm

-envy- I'm probably getting it for Christmas. Dunno though.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby dinoman666 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Just completed a full playthrough yesterday, and I gotta say: it definitely exceeded my expectations. An excellent combination of puzzle-solving, action-packed sequences (one scene where you face off with a Velociraptor one-on-one was one of my favorite moments in gaming history), and a very well-fleshed-out, complex story. The rather poor graphics on most everything except the dinosaurs is my only real complaint, but it certainly doesn't kill the game for me. The Troodon are also a lot nastier than just nocturnal, venomous stalkers. I won't give any spoilers, but they're pretty creepy...
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 pm

That's good to hear. It got a bit of a thrashing by the critics :/
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby dinoman666 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

In this age of "realistic" FPS gamers, I'm not surprised. This game is definitely a Jurassic Park game: survival, adventure, action, and plenty of dinosaurs. Barely any guns involved at all.

There was also a bit of controversy when several Telltale developers rated the game 10/10 on 1up.com without telling anyone who they were. When they were found out, the ratings were removed, and the game was heavily bashed by players as revenge. Of course, that's Telltale's fault, not the game's.
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Makes you wonder what they were thinking
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Probably that they wanted the best for their game or something like that.

Mom said I'd probably get the deluxe edition for Christmas. :3 That means a crapton of extra stuff I don't really need comes with. XD WOO.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby dinoman666 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Doc: Probably good intentions gone horribly wrong or something.

HF: What DOES the Deluxe Edition come with anyway?
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

PreviousNext

Return to General Games