Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Strike (Wii)

Video game reviews and discussion.

Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Strike (Wii)

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:17 pm

I got this game yesterday knowing that it was a fighting game. It's really a bit of mindless fun at first, but as you get to later opponents you really need to employ some strategy, or you're gonna get your a** handed to you. XP

The controls are fairly simple. A and B are attack buttons, C is block, Z is evade. Nunchuck is movement. There really is no story to the game that I can see, beyond fighting your way to the top. But that doesn't mean kicking the sh*t out of your opponents isn't fun. XD

Now, I haven't actually beaten the game yet even though there are only nine opponents. Because as I said, this game starts out fairly easy and gets pretty tough as you go on.

There are three modes that I saw, Domination, Vs, and Challenge. Domination, you take control of a Dino and try to make it to the top. Vs is I guess a place to just go one on one with a Dino of your choosing. And challenge is the mode in which you can challenge your friends to a one-on-one or a tag-team match where it's two-on-two.

Customization of your Dino is pretty neat. You can play around with different colors and patterns, which I have a lot of fun with. XP but the evolutions are pretty ridiculous. Basically, you win a fight, you can evolve your Dino. Make it so they have more health, do more damage, whatever. The things they stick ON the Dinos though are nuts. I think that's my only problem with the game. Four or five evolutions in the Dinos you started with don't even look like themselves anymore.

Other than that though, fun game. If you like fighting games you might want to give this one a shot. :3
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Re: Battle of Giants: Dinosaurs Strike (Wii)

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:22 pm

The closest thing to a story is that some cataclysmic event,an asteroid I think,which threw the world in turmoil and forces you(and the other dinosaurs of the world)to fight for survival to the top of the food chain so to speak.But you'll only ever know that if you saw the trailer first so yeah there is no in game explanation you might as well be told a bunch of dinos decided to have a brawl out of pure boredom until all but one stood victorious
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Pfffft, and of course I haven't seen the trailer. Just gameplay. Fml. XD
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 pm

I've watched a few bits of gameplay myself but never one to the final dino,what kind of dino is that supposed to be anyway it looks fictional
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Supposed to be a heavily mutated version of the Dino you play. It's different for every Dino. I keep meaning to play with the raptor to see what that final enemy looks like. XP

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:41 pm

So it's like your dinos heavily mutated long lost sibling or something? I'd like do see how they'd explain that,considering how well they explained the whole "every dino for themselves" thing,heck they only took 10 seconds to explain that in the trailer.Also the fact your dino seems to evolve entire horns and such in a matter of moments after choosing to do so requires an explanation,though really it is just a game,no need for much explination
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Mindless fun. :3 Though the mutations/evolutions still kinds bug me. XD

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Thats the excuse that can save a lot of games from criticism,"It's just mindless fun" my favorite kind of fun is the mindless kind,Though it still is a bit questionable why your dino has a heavily mutated doppelganger roaming about intent on killing you
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah. Oh well, plot holes ftw. XD

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 pm

In a game with dinosaurs beating each other to a pulp who needs a plot? :P
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Exactly! 8D

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Saw videos of this game, looks fun, but I can see it getting old quickly.

If they had an online mode, it would increase the replay value by a shit-ton.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 pm

An online mode would improve the game,it's DS predecessor had an online mode,so why not this? Maybe they didn't have enough time or couldn't be bothered either way they missed a big opportunity to up the people's opinion on the game and probably would have increased sales twofold
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah. Still, I guess each time you play through and beat the game you can unlock new dinosaurs. Plus, apparently you can unlock others including Allosaurus (which is the one most people seem to be after) with codes

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm

I can see why al would be so sought after,the other big carnivore names are already there without code.Also according to wikipedia one of the "secret CPU fighters" is broccoli,that better not be the same broccoli I'm thinking about I mean the DS original had you fighting living vehicles(and a school and phone box)but broccoli? wouldn't be much of a fight especially if your dino is a herbivore
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:39 pm

XD

Man. I can see it now.

Broccoli: YOU AIN'T SO TOU -

Dino: EW BUG KILL IT *stompsquashspluurt* eeew, it's stuck to my foot. >___<

Broccoli: that all you...got? X-X

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 pm

That would be a brilliant line for the broccoli to say

Also I can just picture it now (Insert dino name here) VS BROCCOLI!(Epic shot of broccoli taunting player)
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Then bugsquishathon. 8D

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:50 pm

It would be ironic if the broccoli turned out to be both almost impossible to hit and deal a massive amount of damage.Thats a nice addition to the list of toughest enemies of gaming:Broccoli
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Roflmao. Well a lot of these opponents are already tough to hit AND do a lot of damage. so it's not unlikely. XP

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Next

Return to General Games