Minecraft

Video game reviews and discussion.

Minecraft

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine. At night monsters come out, make sure to build a shelter before that happens. It also has music by C418! So far 11,973,931 people have registered and 3,147,562 people bought the game.

Minecraft is a game about survival and building. As mentioned above, monsters spawn in the dark, either at night in large quantities or in dark caves/structures, so the game is not without its hazards. But beyond that, you can make amazing structures far more complicated and impressive then one would think such a game could create.

Monsters

Zombie

Zombies are slow, powerful enemies that are seen throughout the game. Its usually a good idea to hit them before they get too close, as each hit tends to take away 3+ hearts from an unarmored person. They make moaning noises constantly, so its rare that they sneak up on people. Drops feathers when killed.

Skeleton

Skeletons are ranged enemies as common as zombies. They are challenging for even the most experienced players to fight, as their arrows can knock back the player at a distance, keeping them at bay or even knocking them off high ledges or into lava. Drops bones and arrows when killed.

Spider

Spiders are very agile creatures that can scale almost every surface in the game, making walls ineffective against them. If one spots a player, it usually must be fought and killed, as over flat terrain, they can outrun players. Drops string when killed.

Creeper

The infamous Creeper, Minecraft's symbol in many ways. Creepers are mobs that do not actually attack the player, but instead, follow them and, when close, explode, destroying terrain and players alike. Unlike other mobs, which moan, chitter, or creak, Creepers do not make any sounds until they are about to explode, which is a "SSSSSS" sound like a bomb about to go off. A Creeper has a "timer" which begins when it starts hissing and ends when it actually explodes. By moving out of its range, either by knocking it back or running from it, one can reset this timer and stop it from exploding. Drops gunpowder when killed.

Not all mobs in Minecraft are explained here.

Resources

Minecraft Wiki.
Official Site.
Minecraft Skindex.

Servers

RPG Topia Server - PM me for the IP to join.

Screenshots
TyrannoTitan

Re: Minecraft

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

The game interests me.... where would you get it?
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:07 pm

See: Resources section, official site.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Ah. Dur. Thank ya.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrantTR » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 pm

I should take a picture of mah castle sometime soon... :P Highly suggest people get this game, its awesome.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby C S » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:08 am

C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Galaxia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I was hoping this game would get it's own topic soon.I love minecraft I really do it was worth every penny
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby C S » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 am

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... raftw.png/

While aboard my airship, I seemed to have come across a necropolis of some sort. It appears to be abandoned but clearly those who lived there carved out the land to expose the bare rock and gathered water. However the small bastion of light visible to left in the picture makes me think life still exists there...

(This was a natural and freaky thing I found while flying across the land)
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:47 am

The light is lava silly. I seen it before too.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby C S » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:50 am

I know. I came across several lava pits and I nearly flew into a lava flow. Considering my ship was wood that would have been bad
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Time for a collage of my Fortress.

This place has been in the works since day 1 of me getting Minecraft. and it's still a work in progress, improving as more materials and options become available. by the I'd chance a guess that it is presently about 25% done. but I thought I'd show you guys anyway.

To get an idea of how big this place is, take note of the small wooden door on the side of the Fortress. that's one of two entrances to the outside. it's the size of an average person in the game. also the size of a Creeper, zombie, skeleton or any other humanoid entity in the game [aside from Endermen, though they're not in yet]

The Master bedroom, viewed from the entrance. it's currently the squishiest room in the fortress, with wool walls and floors. though it's also the most remote places in the Fortress in terms of accessibility to the outside. dozens of doors separate it from the exterior.

The roof of the Fortress. the KP symbol on the roof is an idea TT came up with on the multiplayer server, which I liked to the point I decided to apply it to my Single Player game as well. I improved on the idea by enlarging the symbol and substituting smooth stone with Lava. the result: satisfying.

Two of the four Lava channels pouring from the sides of my tower. This image also shows the 'vents' through which the lava flows, channelling it down the side of the Fortress to incinerate anything stupid enough to come too close.

The other two channels and vents. the one closest acts as a light for a corner of the roof of the fortress [visible on the left in the roof pic]. the one further away lights up the hallway below, as you will see in the next image:

Next up, we have the farm: one of the elements vital to the operation of the Fortress' bakery :P

and finally: The Forge.

This serves as the generator for my Obsidian storage, as well as a waste disposal plant for any unwanted materials [dirt blocks that can't be utilised elsewhere? toss it in the lava =D]. there are 24 'moulds' for the lava [which would be occupied by one block of obsidian and one block of water when being operated for obsidian production] in the middle you see the entrance to the mineshaft leading to the Bedrock layer, along with the magma pools I restock at every time I expend the lava supply in the Forge. It also acts as the source for all the more valuable ores such as diamond, lapis lazuli, redstone and gold.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Galaxia » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Tis a fortress truly mighty indeed KP
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Damn dude! Talk about an ominous fortress!

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:07 am

Viking ship, kinda outta place in the middle of land but I'll be making it an airship soon enough.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby C S » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 am

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4803/mcglitch.png

A strange instance where my airship duplicated itself, creating a phantom craft that will drift off into the midst for eternity
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Galaxia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Started trying out what they call the moleman mode,I live underground never returning from the surface I'm given one day before the mode begins to get whatever resources I can before living underground forever.It really gives you a new look on the game,I even got a mole skin for my character
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Anyone else been encountering blocks that have been moved around in sealed off areas of your fortresses? Endermen spawn anywhere that lighting will allow, and they're not above digging their way out of areas you've sealed off. So here's a little tactic I came up with. Might help you in the future. honeycomb the areas you seal off with cobblestone, like this:

50% less cobblestone used than if you tried filling the room completely, and the end result is the same. Nothing can spawn in areas sealed like this [aside from maybe slimes if you're in an appropriate location for them to spawn] because the gaps are simply too small, making it perfect to keep the Enderman population inside your fortress down, freeing you up to do other things.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby UndeadRaptor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm currently in pre-production of a castle in my single-player world. My shitty computer won't let me get anything done of it ATM though.
"What's the plan?!" - random soldier, Mud and Blood 2.

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I've done a lot of changes to my fortress lately [mostly expansion though]. Problem is there's a chance that I'll have to abandon it. It was made during 1.7.5. With the newer updates my world may be damaged beyond recovery. It's already crashing annoyingly frequently.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Galaxia » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I was kind of kept of playing 1.8 in SP,it seemed to lag more.Also has Notch fixed the Endermen up a bit?He said he would "fix this" either this or last month
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Next

Return to General Games