Shadow of the Collossus

Video game reviews and discussion.

Shadow of the Collossus

Postby mega raptor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm playing it right now, it's an awesome game (though a little short) Has anyone else played it/heard of it?

The premise is that you are a warrior (his name is never said) armed with a sword, a bow and arrows, and your horse, traveling throughout "The Forbidden Land" trying to bring a girl back to life (her name is also never mentioned, though in the credits, they say it's Mono). You do this by fighting and killing 16 Collossi, each of which has its own strengths and weaknesses (For example, the thirteenth, Phalanx, cannot harm you, but it cannot be hurt unless you attack the gas bags that are keeping it afloat.)

One of my favorite parts about the game its its atmosphere. The setting is almost completely lifeless, with almost no NPCs, and it really helps make you feel isolated and alone. It also has almost no backstory on anyone, for example, the only thing we learn about Mono is that she was sacrificed because she had a "cursed fate", and it is never said how the "Forbidden Land" came to be forbidden or how the Collossi came to exist, and the ambiguity there kinda makes you create you own opinions on how it all came to be.
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:15 pm

I LOVE this game! I have beaten all of the Collossi except the final boss, but i've seen gameplay of it. I absolutely HATE the bird boss. It's so ******* annoying. And, I keep blaming my mistakes on the horse :lol: .
TyrannoTitan

Postby mega raptor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Yes, I agree... I've beaten the game, and the two Collossi I think are the biggest pains are the fifth (I think his name is Aves) and the ninth (the turtle one that has laser vision)

Also, I'm now on Aves... And, as much as I hate it, I love the music here, which is another thing I forgot to mention.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby o-eternal-o » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:27 pm

I love this game. I don't have it, but my boyfriend does, and he plays it all the time. I love Argo, or whatever he calls the horse. It was so sad when he fell down that cliffy thing!!

I know what you mean about the atmosphere of the game though. And the draw distance on the game is absoloutly amazing. Best i've seen for a PS2.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby mega raptor » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:12 pm

Hey, look at some of this concept art ( http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/490/490849/imgs_1.html ) I managed to find on IGN. It looks like there were originally going to be twenty Colossi. Also, judging from the book with what looks like Japanese in it, they had more put into the game, including one that looks like a dragon. Now that would have have been a fun fight, going up against something like that..

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby o-eternal-o » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Definitely. That would have been so cool. But you know, so many people are gonna copy this idea. I bet you that all the new games now will have some gigantic enemy that you have to fight. And i've already met the first one who's copied it. God of War 2.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Doc 42 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:19 pm

didnt serious sam have an enemy the size of a skyscrapper... in the DEMO!
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby o-eternal-o » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Dunno, never played it. The huge monster thing was in the God of War demo too...
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:26 pm

....Hydra, ERC, Hydra.

Don't you know your Greek Mythology?!?
TyrannoTitan

Postby Doc 42 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:23 pm

Who cares if they copy? More giant mosters in games the better, no?
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:22 pm

i played this game in a megastore once :D so cool but that bloody horse grrrr :P
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Return to General Games