JPOG For PC!!!!

Video game reviews and discussion.

JPOG For PC!!!!

Postby Legendary Elite » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:16 am

Ok, this goes back to when I bought the game for my Xbox. This Xbox was modded so it could play copied games. Now I so happened to see this game at a cheap price and bought it. When I got back from overseas where I got it and this was in 2004, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. For a while it was doing fine and I was so happy with it. I had never seen a game quite like it since "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" for PS1 which I have and enjoyed very much. But during last year I began to notice problems with the game. Scratches appeared on the disk and now it got to the point where it hardly ever worked. So anyway seeing as I got back into the game after leaving it collect dust for sometime, I saw how good the PC game was and so I decided to get it. I ordered it from Ebay from someone in New South Wales, Australia. I only waited about a week and volagh! I got JPOG today! It's just like the Xbox version, very good.

Now can someone please tell me where to find this modding pack where I can create new skins for the dinos please????
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Dinonerd » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:53 am

I have got the PC version buried deep in my pile of hundreds of games i own, i will have to get it back out soon.
Last edited by Dinonerd on Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Steve

RIP Zyzz
Dinonerd
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby o-eternal-o » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:20 pm

The site you want is Modding Genesis. You can find it here: www.jurassicisland.ch. On the main site is my skinning tutorial which will teach you how to replace skins in game. Follow it carefully, and you'll be able to. You can find the current expansion packs on the main site too, but i'd recommend going to forums. We have one skinning pack out, (which can be found in the forums) and there are loads up for download in the skinning section.

Oh, and can i try and persuade you to take up modding instead of skinning? We have a total lack of modders. All it is now is 'ZOMG!! I CAN SKIN!!!111'

But meh, i'd be happy with either ^-^

This shouldn't count as advertising.... right?
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Doc 42 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Advertising? most likely not since they advirtise this site XO
But the problem with modding is that we are wayyyy to limited. I have stopped realesing mods beacuse whenever I try to mod something I hit a wall that we cant get around with out the source code. Skinning seems to be the only truly moddable thing. But I do some work every now and again I do something to try break through some files. (but always fail)
I am going to try my hand at FSMs but they seem horridly limited.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby o-eternal-o » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:14 pm

I am going to try my hand at FSMs but they seem horridly limited.

They're not at all. In fact, i'd say that the FSM's aren't very limited at all. It's just knowing what you're doing and having a lot of patience. I'd love it if you got into them. It seems i'm the only one who has a love for them.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Doc 42 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm

What I mean by limited, is that you cant really come up with extremly advanced interactions. Such as giving targets as more than just fences or prey. Neither the less, I think FSM modding is the way from here, so i am going to study some tutorials and try come up with some stuff of my own.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Legendary Elite » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:07 am

Modding hey? Well I'll give it a try when I know how to use the skin packs and have some practice with it so yes i will try. I don't know how to mod it though. I would like it if I could change the dinosaurs sizes and mod them with different parts from other dinos.

Oh and how do I open the data directory folder? I want to get rid of those annoying Twisters.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Doc 42 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Go to the weather folder and change the chance of a twister to zero
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby o-eternal-o » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Such as giving targets as more than just fences or prey.

I know what you mean. Do you know how long i've searched for a way to give each object a different id, so to speak, so you can do complete unique behaviour very easily? I've had no success so far, but i can differentiate between things. Like, i can target buildings, small dinos, large ones, medium ones, low security fence, medium security, high security (in theory) water, (and i can give a co-ordinante point for it to go in that water) trees and grazeland. Oh, and also dinos who are in a flock, or not in one, and the same species. Oh, and really just about anything as you can use the 'AcquireClosestUnit' action which includes buildings and everything. And if you just want alive things, you can use the 'acquireclosestaliveunit' and then slowly narrow it down with the other targets you can do. So, it can be quite broad if you link them together.

I mean, the kind of things i've done with FSms is quite varied. The Raptor/Rex death dual was fully fsms. The knockover mod (which was included in the CEP, the one where the large carn does a fatal kill on the floored herbivore), the small prey dropping mod (again CEP, the one where a large carn would throw down prey if not hungry) and others. As i've said before it's just a matter of patience.

I knew i'd go off on what about these. I just love modding them. Just wait for the GEP pack. I've got some good ones lined up for it ^-^

so i am going to study some tutorials and try come up with some stuff of my own.

That's great to hear. Just dive in head first and mess with them. See what happens. There's a rough unfinished guide on MG, which will tell you the basics.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Dinonerd » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am

Just to let you know, shouldn't this be in the games section?
RIP Steve

RIP Zyzz
Dinonerd
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Legendary Elite » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 am

Its ok I worked out how to fix the Twister problem already but how do I change the targeting for dinos like Raptors? I want them able to attack a T-Rex.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby o-eternal-o » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Its ok I worked out how to fix the Twister problem already but how do I change the targeting for dinos like Raptors? I want them able to attack a T-Rex.

Well, there's an easy way, and a hard way. But the hard way can be made simple. The easy way is going into the Rex.ini and finding the perception inputs. you'll see 'carnivore' has 1.0 and 'herbivore' has 0.0. This is what others percieve the Rex as. If you change that from carnivore to herbivore, raptors will attack it. But it will have many other side effects.

The other way involves a LOT of FSM modding. (fsms are the indepth behaviour of the dinosaurs, and are a variation of C/C++ programming) But, i recently released a mod which would give a kind of death duel between the raptors and Rex, and that mod can be found on the CEP 1.05 bugfix on MG. But, before installing the bugfix i'd recommend installing the original 1.05 first.

Just to let you know, shouldn't this be in the games section?

Yes is should
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:41 pm

What I don't like is how Brachiosaurus is indestructable almost. One time when I was playing that, I saw an Acrocanthosaur run pass my Brachiosaur and as it ran past it bit the Brach's neck. But it did not do much damage. But i don't like it how even though the carnivores try to get brachiosaurus, for some reason, they cannot touch him.

I have seen Raptors attack a T-Rex without modding the files. You do it when the Tyrannosaur is asleep and the area has to be confined. I choose the exercise "Safe and Secure" and put the T-Rex in the raptor pen when they are on a Rampage or on Hunt mode, I dunno. I did it in the Xbox version. I saw the raptors actually leap on the rex and damage its health when it slept. I was like what the ****? But yeah it can be done. But it hardly ever works. And this was without doing any modding other than putting on cheats. There are no cheats in Xbox that allow you to get smaller dinos to take on larger ones. It happened miracously.

I hope they make JPOG 2. They definately need to. There was several other dinos that were going to be in the game too but did not make the final cut because they were not completed in time before the release of the game, they were:

Alioramus
Apatosaurus
Baryonyx
Deinonychus
Diplodocus
Iguanodon
Maiasaura
Ornithomimus
Panoplosaurus
Tenontosaurus
Thescelosaurus
Wuerhosaurus
Yangchuanosaurus

These would've been in the game otherwise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park:Operation_Genesis is where you can find out about it, scroll down to the section on "incomplete dinosaurs". So really there was a few famous ones but nothing too spectacular. If I were to add in some dinos to the game they would be:

Mamenchisaurus-Appeared in TLW.
Compsognathus-Suprisingly did not appear in the game in which it should have.
Procompsognathus
Muttaburrasaurus
Frost Allosaurus-Australian Allosaur, though smaller it could've been more smarter and more cunning than the african and american cousins.
Crylophosaurus
Euopocephalus
Tarbosaurus
Therizinosaurus-Definately need some of the odder dinos.
Leptoceratops
Carnotaurus
Bagosuchus-swimming crocodillian from TLW:JP on PS1 in the Compy level where you swim. They are about the same size as Compy but ferocious.
Pteranodon-Definately need flying and sea reptiles but not too many, just a few.
Dimetrodon
Dimorphodon
Staurikosaurus

Other:

Sea-definately need dinosaurs swimming, it looks a bit stupid with some of them walking underwater and some who have their heads just above the surface.
Fighting: More fighting, the only good ones were with Tyrannosaurus when he fought some dinosaurs. They need to have better animation for combat.
Rangers: Park Rangers should be able to fight on foot and not always from the safety of a helicopter. Why not have several special ops groups on foot equipped with rifles and rocket launchers. It would make rampages less of a burden. Same goes with security.

Any others i'll think of later on.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby DI7789 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Legendary Elite wrote:
I hope they make JPOG 2. They definately need to. There was several other dinos that were going to be in the game too but did not make the final cut because they were not completed in time before the release of the game, they were:

Iguanodon

Actually, there is a .ini file with the title "iguan", its directory is C:Program Files/Universal Interactive/Blue Tongue Software/Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis//JPOG/Data/Units/Iguan.ini
"Its like I was attacked by some kind of...dinosaur"
-Regina, not realising what this sentence meant for her future

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach!"
"Thank you"
-Catherine Tate and David Tennant Comic Relief 2007
DI7789
Worm
Worm

Postby The Kingpin » Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm

which we've known about for ages. unfortunately, it's not enough to get it working in game. the Modding Genesis team cant get it working. if they cant, no one can...at least, that's the impression that's shown up since i've known them. they were the first at everything. sounds, skins [ERC, THANK YOU!], multiple skins [ERC, THANK YOU AGAIN!]...a new Death Duel [THANKS AGAIN, ERC]....hey...correction. if ERC cant do it, no one can... :lol:
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby o-eternal-o » Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 pm

LOL!! Aww that's so sweet! *goes away in a corner and blushes* :P
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby The Kingpin » Wed May 30, 2007 10:18 pm

lol. sweet, but true :P
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Iceking » Wed May 30, 2007 10:19 pm

erc is a very good skinner. it will always be true she's very good at changing skins.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby o-eternal-o » Thu May 31, 2007 7:44 pm

erc is a very good skinner. it will always be true she's very good at changing skins.

That's sweet of you, but i actually don't consider myself to be a good skinner. In fact, i'm considering giving up skinning so i can concentrate more on modding
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Doc 42 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Well I hate to break a chain, but ERC isnt great at skinning, no offence, shes better at the important things like FSMs and working out new ways of modding.

Ah crap she got there first :P

PS bleach! my recent attempts at FSMs have just left me with a bunch of stupid looking dinosaurs sitting there.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Next

Return to General Games