BioShock

Video game reviews and discussion.

BioShock

Postby mega raptor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:42 pm

I've really been looking forward to this game since I first heard about is a few months ago, though it doesn't look like I'll be getting to play it anytime soon (A Gig of RAM, minimum? I have half that :cry: ) For those who haven't heard about it, BioShock is a first-person shooter about this underwater, self-sustaining city built by a man named Andrew Ryan that was intended as the "ultimate individualist paradise" where one could achieve what one wanted to for one's self instead of others, and his motivation is best summed up by the question Andrew Ryan asks in the video that introduces the player to Rapture: "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No, says the man in Washington, it belongs to everyone. No, says the man in the Vatican, is belongs to God. No says the man in Moscow, it belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something differant. Instead, I chose the impossible. I chose Rapture."

However, something went wrong-a sea slug that produced pure stem cells that could be processed into a substance called ADAM and used to heal wounds, cure diseases and, most excitingly, modify one's own body. One of Rapture's citizens began to stockpile ADAM, and due to its immense potential, it threatened Ryan's hold on Rapture. Eventually, an all-out war broke out, cumulating on biological weapon attack on New Year's Day, 1959.

The game opens in 1960, when your plane has crashed in the ocean near a lone lighthouse, sticking out from the sea. The player swims to the lighthouse and finds a bathysphere, and with no other options, enters it. It takes him to Rapture, which by now is in a state of disrepair. Splicers, the genetically modified citizens of Rapture, roam the tunnels and buildings of Rapture, searching for the ADAM they have become dependant on to survive while huge, lumbering protectors, "Big Daddies", guide "Little Sisters", girls capable of processing the material in corpses into ADAM via a sea slug embedded in their stomach.

The player is guided throughout Rapture by a man named Atlas as they attempt to survive in Rapture to help him reunite with his wife and child. The player is able to use both conventional weapons, as well as "plasmids" which give the player special powers-for example, the first one the player finds gives them the ability electrocute enemies-a useful ability in a city that is slowly flooding.

Throughout the game, player choice is an underlying gameplay mechanic. For example, the "Big Daddies" roam the levels, protecting the "Little Sisters" that the player needs to get to for the ADAM that they have. The player is able to choose how to battle the "Big Daddy"-perhaps relying on plasmids, such as the Enrage plasmid that causes it to attack the player's enemies, and the Incinerate plasmid that sets it on fire, or maybe relying on conventional weapons, or perhaps using hacked security bots to distract it. One of the ideas of the game is that you don't know exactly how you'll take on the next enemy.

Now that I'm done talking about it, has anyone else got it? I wouldn't think so, since there's no other topic about, but if so, how is it?
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Re: BioShock

Postby Iceking » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:51 pm

this game sounds cool. are the enemies humans or are there human and animal enemies.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby mega raptor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:08 pm

They're insane, mutated humans.
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Iceking » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 pm

sounds good. i'm going to see if i can find it in a game store this friday.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:10 am

I was looking foreward to it, and hoped to buy it but my comp doesnt have the power to run it. :cry: I read some pretty cool sounding preveiws, I might check for reveiws soon, seeing as its released elsewhere
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby UltraGrunt117 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 am

Once I played Bioshock at like 12 at night with sound lvl high as I was freaked out alot.
"Were It so Easy"- The Arbiter

UltraGrunt117
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby SuperNerd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 am

dude why do you keep bumping up dead topics :?:
SuperNerd

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:26 am

Supernerd, it isn't your place to say that. Leave it to the staff.

And yes, it seems we've overlooked this topic. Even though Ultragrunt bumped it with USELESS INFORMATION, I will not lock it, in case others want to discuss the game.

My previous warnings still apply. Don't bump dead topics. If you wish to add something USEFUL to the topic, that's fine. Otherwise, DON'T BUMP DEAD TOPICS.
TyrannoTitan

Return to General Games