Spore

Video game reviews and discussion.

Spore

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:55 pm

have you heard of this brilliant game, made by the ingenious Will Wright? it's due on 1st of June 2007. a month and a bit before school finishes for me......

basicly, you create an animal, or, better put, alien, possible earthly animal if you can get a good combo of things on it. that creature starts off with a few others of it's type spread all over the planet. you find one, multiply them, build a tribe, then a city, then take over the planet. after that, it's out to the galaxy, then to the universe and beyond!

you get to have a UFO that can obduct things, zap things, pick things up and throw them, and, for you world domination or destruction fans, blow a whole planet to smithereens! :twisted: . that is suggested for planets that are too difficult to take over.

then there's the sheer number of variations that you can do with your huts, cities, UFOs, buildings and creatures. i have seen a certain set of combos that just might tempt me to make the universe's most perfect Velociraptor :P . there are over 400 different variation options available from the start, and even more as you advance! add to that that many of those 400 funny, cool, ridiculous, goofy, and just plain awesome bodyparts, can be manipulated into different angles. wether you make a 3 toed animal that has feet like /|\ or _|_ [this one is upside down] is up to you. you can have hoofed animals. funny shaped cup footed animals, and other things. you can have over 15 different heads, and they can be shanged in shape. widen it, lengthen it, enlarge it all over...etc. the body itself, can be stretched and morphed in so many different ways it's difficult to count. an example would be the fact that you can curl the tail [if you want one. you can easily make it a "bug butt" instead...] over the chest, buldge it and put a claw, eye, mouth, spike, whatever. you can make it's body serpentine with legs. the only limit i see so far, is the fact that it MUST have legs. it may not be like that, but i don't know since the clips i've seen all have legs and dont show the ability to do it without legs. it's also debated whether or not you can make your creatures fly and swim. some people claim to see creatures with wings, looking almost like a big dragon fly/ bat or something like that. if it IS possible, you can add another creature on my little list: Dragons.
there are a huge variety of eyes, claws, mouths, feet, legs, arms, spikes, hands...etc. all of them are changable in one way or anotrher. i've seen examples of beaks and mouths on a buldge at the tip of the tail, which is curled over the rest of the torso in a Scorpion like way, and eyes where a mouth should be. you can add skin colours and several interesting textures and colour combos. claws can be enlarged, lengthened...etc. legs come in different shapes that can be changed later. you have the "biped carnivore leg" as i call it, which is basicly like a 2 legged predatorial dinosaur leg. you have the horse leg, and a funny, inverted leg, which seems to look like the visible part of a chicken leg. you also have the "rubber legs" which i've named due to there extreme abundance of bones, or apparent lack thereof. arms are the same. you have several different arm styles, ranging from normal, to bizzare. spikes, i know little about, since i've only seen a few through the clips i've seen so far, but that's probably because the makers seem to want to show us the inter-galactic, inter-stellar side to it. hands come in various styles. i've seen raptor like hands, frog like hands, simple claws, and various others. as for mouths, the mouth you pick determines the diet of the creature. you could have a carnivore [meat eating predator], herbivore [plant eating animal. needs fruit], or omnivore [both of the afore mentioned, but less effective at living, since it may need BOTH plants and Meat to survive, instead of eating what's available.]. you can have alligator jaws, beaks, funny, alien, toothy, round mouths, simple lips, bills...etc. the variation available there is the ability to lengthen the mouth, widen it, shorten it...etc. this game is probably one of the few that allows the player to make a creature that Pixar model artists think of and work on for weeks, in a few minutes. you could probably make just about anything you want. Raptors are possible. i've seen the hooked killer claw with 2 other toes as one of the foot options. the snout can be added with a few modifications to the shape of one of the already available ones. the tail is easy. the skin of the JP tiger striped raptor could also be added, but with a few extra stripes on the stomach. raptor hands, as i mentioned earlier, are also available, and can be put on in any way you like. you could have upside down hands on your creation. it doesn't matter. the way i see it. in this game, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING goes. there's no limit to what you can make. i could go on and on forever on this, but i'd like to see what everyone else has to say. so, what are your oppinions?
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby o-eternal-o » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

Okay, i haven't actually heard of this game but it sounds like it has such a wealth of open ended game play. And i love any game like that! I've actually always loved games were you can make you're own creature. The most annoying thing is that there is hardly any games that let you do that!!!

It sounds really great. I'd try and make an army of Velociraptors and then see if i could make a dragon. It would be so cool to have a dragon, even if it couldn't fly and just have wings for 'decoration'

Does the game have a website?
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:30 pm

well, if there are wings at all, they are definately working wings. nothing there is "just" for show. everything has a purpose in this game. it's like an RTS except there's no strategy to it from what i see. youi start by controlling a single creature, and end controling a universe!

of course, i can't really show everything there is there. you'd have to see the clips for yourself.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby mega raptor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 pm

I can't wait for Spore. The last stage should take over 69 years non-stop to complete! I can't even think of what my creature is going to look like I'm so excited. Well, now that I think about it, it might be dinosaur-inspired. Dino-Man anyone?
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:54 pm

why dino man when you can have a true dino!? if there's anything envolving size, i may try making a T. Rex, or just a simple pack of Raptors. after that, i'll go into various other things like insects, centipede like creatures with dozens of arms and legs to fight with. a nice long tail that ends in a club or spike, or maybe even a hand!

the possibilities for this game are endless. i just hope the deadline doesn't get pushed back without a good reason. i want to spend my summer playing it :P

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:56 pm

i read about it and i readed the preview a billion times before i can believe it
i can't wait to have this 1 and rule the world under my command :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Postby o-eternal-o » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:33 pm

I've always loved god-like sims. Maybe this will beat them all :wink:
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:56 pm

you mean like black and white??
i loved to trow whit people of other villages or rock and fire balls :D
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:21 pm

why world when you can rule the Universe!? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

of course, i'll be making plenty of preds, and maybe a few really hilarious ones. i'd like you to have a look at the following link. pay special attention to the creatures in the creature editor. one of them had me rolling on the floor gasping for air out of laughter for 15 minutes!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 98&q=spore

after that, have a look at a few of the IGN Forums on Spore. a good example is:
http://boards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=8259

check it out. it's really worth knowing more about this great game. i think it'll be the #1 best seller of 2007.

if you find anything interesting, don't hesitate to mention it here! :D

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Wow.I just found out about this game today and im ganna cry cause it dosen't come out till June :cry: .I am ganna make all kinds of creatures,animal or human-like.I plan (if possible) to make my creature a T-rex.Then, I will make a second creature thats not controled by me (I believe they said that,not sure.I might be wrong).It will be Spinosaurus :twisted: .I would make my Rex kick the sh*t out of all the Spinos.Then I would make a human-like creature that will make it to space travel.I'll just have different saved games (if thats possible).I can't wait!
TyrannoTitan

Postby o-eternal-o » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:37 pm

I just watched the video KingPin, and it's really amazing! I love how many choices you have when making your creatures. You could make anything!! Every creature would be unique... I've gotta get this game so much!
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 am

i particularly liked the tweety bird.....Ford Explorer....woahhhhh...woahhh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:55 pm

And the carnivore carebear.I can really see that thing choke-slaming an animal....
TyrannoTitan

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:33 am

:lol:

how about that double ended scythe clawed thing? it had 2 heads, 4 arms, and 6 legs!. and Buttface :lol: arms on arms.... :lol:

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:13 pm

I know this is a MAJOR bump but there is new info and vids about Spore.

New Gameplay.

Also, Will Wright says that there WILL be expansions which is a bad thing. Having expansions means that he will have to cut stuff from the original but give it to us in an expansion. Example: Underwater creatures. He is thinking about cutting the ability to have underwater creatures.

Also, some photos and movies actually suggest that there are flying creatures! In the creature editor, one bar (the bars that say defense, power, speed, etc.) says "Flying" and in some movies you can see flying creatures.

Rejoice!
TyrannoTitan

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 am

This... Sucks...

I was all liek YAY a cool game that alows you to make your own animals, and hunt in an interesting ecosystem that spreads out to the universe! Wait... whats that I see in that video? Is it imense amounts of blood? If this game is M then that means my over protective parents most likely won't let me buy it. Bahumbug. This game looks awsome.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby chook151 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:13 am

awsome! but i reckoned i liked the worm in the ooz coming out onto land looked coolest, evolution of the game , evolution of the gameplay, and evolution of the rating.

100/10 sweet
" If i'm not different, i'm dead ."
- Random hobo.
chook151
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 pm

Ya...Go to Spore Wiki.com to submit your ideas of creatures. Mine is the only one that has "Velociraptor" In front of it.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Doc 42 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:22 pm

TyrantTR wrote:This... Sucks...

I was all liek YAY a cool game that alows you to make your own animals, and hunt in an interesting ecosystem that spreads out to the universe! Wait... whats that I see in that video? Is it imense amounts of blood? If this game is M then that means my over protective parents most likely won't let me buy it. Bahumbug. This game looks awsome.

If your allowed play JP:OG they wont mind. Unless your really young, which I doubt.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 pm

0_0

More info!

WW (Will Wright) says that you can now make snake-like or slug-like creatures! So the first post to this topic is actually wrong. It doesn't NEED legs.

Rejoice! ......again.....
TyrannoTitan

Next

Return to General Games