Game Maker

Video game reviews and discussion.

Game Maker

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Game Maker!!!
Where lazy people can make crappy games with a few mouse clicks and then call themselves programmers!
If you don't know what it is, and have played with the idea of makeing games before (or if you have made maps in something like starcraft or warcraft) I strongly advise you to go check it out. (google it or something, im one of said lazy people and I cant be bothered to program a link ( :P ) )

Feel free to talk about anything game maker related here, share your games, share your techniques etc etc.
For instance, in a 2d side scroller that i slap stuff onto regularly, in order to make both directions working for my character I used two different objects for the different. Anyone else do something different for a similar problem?
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby C S » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:25 pm

ya, for the 2 ways thing, erm, the map is only programmed to follow one character, im stuck there. My technique for animating: Dowload pivots and aniamte freely, saving the animation as seperate images in my pictures folder.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 pm

that is a problem...do you think using a parent would work?
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby C S » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 am

ill try that.
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Raptor Llama » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Downloaded it, never used it. I prefer liveswif, much more customizable. Plus, the free version is sort of only a trial and not the full thing. You can't make very good game with it.
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:57 am

O_o

RL, I downloaded the program you speak of, took one look at it, and closed it. Its ten thousand times more complex then Game Maker...

Game Maker is still awesome...easy to make games with.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Raptor Llama » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 pm

lol...

takes lots of tutorials and practice to master. I made two tutorials, for anyone who wants them. I think I began using it when I'm 11, wasn't very good, but eventually I got the extreme basics, like pause and play and all of that to make a movie, but when it comes to games, I just c&p action script. Like my FPS, I copied and pasted the code for making enemies die. I edited it to make it fit my game, but still, the game turned out glitchy, probably because the file I was working on randomly corrupted, making me only have the demo...

Well, on the subject of game maker, I once played a game maker game were your Gamera, and you have to shoot fire balls at certain enemies and jump on others. The guy who made that, that was the only game maker game he made, then he went back to his normal, using Flash 5, more complex then Liveswif if your wondering. I seemed to enjoy his flash games better, probably because he didn't have experience in GM. I still have GM installed, I might take a look at it...
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby chook151 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:09 am

does anyone know of a game maker for mac?
The only one I found was a card game maker, and that was horrible.
" If i'm not different, i'm dead ."
- Random hobo.
chook151
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby Lolburst » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Scirra's Construct is the best game maker software I've ever used. It even allows you to make Dx9 games! The GUI is awesome and fluid, as it uses Dx9 too.

As for the scripting, you can read it. It's not C++.

Not to mention the "Insert object menu", has like 9 tabs.
Lolburst
Worm
Worm

Return to General Games