Lord of the Rings: Conquest

Video game reviews and discussion.

Lord of the Rings: Conquest

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:01 am

Could've sworn there was a topic about this already...

But anyway, LOTR: Conquest is a LOTR game in the style of Star Wars: Battlefront.

For those who don't know what Battlefront is, its basically the players taking control of the normal soldiers, whether it be clone troopers, droids, etc. This is basically what LOTR: Conquest is; a third person shooter in some elements, but mostly a simple action game.

The players fight as the soldiers, picking between different classes (Mage, Warrior, Archer, or Scout), with other classes available at varying times (Trolls for Evil, Ents for Good), but are only limited to 1-2 players taking control of them at a time. The actual fights are historical battles in the LOTR universe (Minas Tirith, Mines of Moria, etc)

If a player has many control point captures or kills, they have the option of becoming a Hero. What hero depends on what battle/map they are currently playing on (For example: Mines of Moria = Gandalf (Good) and a Balrog (Evil). Minas Tirith = Gandalf (Good) and The Witch King (Evil)) Heroes are, of course, very powerful compared to other units, and though I have yet to experience it for myself, they probably follow the same formula that Star Wars Battlefront did; The hero's health will slowly go down, able to slow the health depletion by killing enemies, and will, of course, get damaged by enemy attacks as well.

The demo for the PS3 and 360 versions of the game is able to be downloaded, while the full game will be available in stores on January 13th.

For those who have played the demo: I enjoy playing the mage class the most, but all are really enjoyable to use. I am honestly surprised they did such a great job with the game...
TyrannoTitan

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm surprised that everyone compares it to battlefront. Sure in terms of genre its more similar but Battlefront reminded me of battlefield and so does LOTR: Conquest.

The reason this post doesn't hold details about the game in any way at all is because I do not have the 360 or Ps3. I intend to get it for PC. What about you guys? (that is IF I get it)
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:51 pm

I plan to get it for PC as well.

And ya, Battlefield, Battlefront, and Conquest are all the same type of game, but the people who made Conquest also made Battlefront, hence why others associate the two together :P
TyrannoTitan

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:46 pm

hey, that sounds better than all the LOTR rts or rpg games. i think ill get the demo, can i find it on marketplace for xbl?
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Ya, should be on X-box Live and the Playstation Network.
TyrannoTitan

Postby chook151 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

so it's third person? Does it have any melee weapons in it?
" If i'm not different, i'm dead ."
- Random hobo.
chook151
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am

Yes...the Warriors, Scouts, trolls, etc use melee weapons. Even mages use staffs, but they suck at close range.

I actually used the Balrog hero twice today...very fun to play as.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Iceking » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 am

Are the fell beasts playable this time?
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:23 am

Not in the demo, seeing as there are only two maps playable...

Probably in the full game though.
TyrannoTitan

Postby dinoman666 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:38 am

Fell Beasts, from what I heard, are actually used as "vehicles," along with Giant Eagles, horses, and Wargs.

I played the demo, and it was pretty fun to me. Planning on getting the full game as soon as it comes out. The only thing I didn't really like was the relative uselessness of the horses and Wargs (you get knocked off in one hit sometimes, and they're really only good for trampling an enemy).
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Evil Eye » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 am

dammit, i want the demo, but i cant, meh 360 red ring, and thats awesome using the black wings and eagles as vehicles. but i was wondering, in battlefront, a rebel can use a TIE fighter, or a droid could get in an ARC-170 etc, can the good guys use black wings and vice versa?
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:22 am

This looks like a good game. Can't wait to play it so that I can watch Fel Beasts swoop down and kill people. Loved Battlefront2, so this game should be just as good or even better.

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 am

Evil Eye wrote:dammit, i want the demo, but i cant, meh 360 red ring, and thats awesome using the black wings and eagles as vehicles. but i was wondering, in battlefront, a rebel can use a TIE fighter, or a droid could get in an ARC-170 etc, can the good guys use black wings and vice versa?

Ya they can use the fel beasts. Good forces can use the Wargs, and the evil forces can use the horses, so I can only assume...

And DM: I actually find the horses effective...if you charge into a battle while no one notices, you can turn it into pure chaos on a horse/warg. Only archers seem to cause me problems while on a warg/horse...
TyrannoTitan

Postby raptor titanus3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 pm

I have a hard time playing the demo, as a swordsman I do the worst because I keep getting nailed in the head by archers, as an archer I don't have the patience and I have a hard time aiming for headshots, I think I do the best as a scout but I still have hard time assainating people because I can never get near them before my stealth goes out or they never stand still and i'm not that good at anticipating movements in the demo, mage is ok too but I don't do very well because I keep forgeting my spells all in all I am going to get it but not too soon
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby Giratina93 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Well, the game is out now, and I plan to buy it as soon as I get enough money from chores to buy it. It is going to be soo much fun watching people get eaten alive by Fel Beasts. :twisted:

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Fel Beasts aren't usable >.<

That's my only problem with this game. The fel beasts and eagles are only found in the campaign, and all they do is pick up enemies and toss them. Hopefully, they add them as DLC, but I doubt it.

The game itself is very fun. The campaigns are really epic, the multiplayer is fun, but I believe they should have AI soldiers within multiplayer.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Tediz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 am

XBox is too hard lol...

It's all button mashing, very little strategy unless you search for a custom game. Everyone just charges in head first, you'll often see a Archer up close trying to point blank someone.

Mages are decent at close range as long as you know what combos to use....

All in all though, an extremely fun game.
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unawares - Hebrews 13:2
Tediz
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Return to General Games