When will DVD's stop being made.

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

When will DVD's stop being made.

Postby LV-426 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:42 am

With Blue Ray out how long do DVD's have left? I have over 600 DVD's in my collection and it would suck if i would have to replace them all.
Get away from her you *****
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty
Were in the pipe five by five
They Mostly Come at Night Mostly

Aliens the most quotable movie Ever
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:45 am

DVD's probably are going to be round for a LONG time... just like there's still the PS2... Still, I forsee the DVD comnig to an end in about 5 or so years, when somethnig comes uot that will completly nullify DVD's and Blu-Ray, and has FAR more options to it that your classical DVD player...

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!

Postby C S » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 am

I havent thought of that notion until now. You always hear "DVD and blu-ray" Sooner or later, someone's gonna go "Hey, isnt it cheaper to release on blu-ray only instead of DVD and Blu-ray!?" and that'll be the end of that

...depressing actually...
"Saturn was NOT a Single Lady." - Unknown
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 am

they'll probably stick around for another 5-6 years.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever

Postby The Kingpin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41 pm

i'd say 5-6 years at least. though i'm expecting it to go the way of the VHS cassete tape. 10 more years or so...
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Getting in on this one just before it's considered dead :P

I dissagree. DVD's won't be phased out for a LOONG time and definately not because of Blu-Ray.

Blu Ray isn't a big enough improvement.

CD's came out a long time before DVD's, yet they made 0 impact on the VHS market, mainly because of capacity.

In terms of quality and capacity, DVD's combined both and were a vast improvement on VHS.

Blu Ray, while better, isn't as big a revolution as VHS to DVD.

I think DVD's are going to start losing out when things like 3d television start coming in strong. I'm assuming that it will take a much faster read speed and even more capacity to properly handle the new technologies emerging, the DVD killer will be what ever satisfies the needs of these new technologies.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Evil Eye » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

You're forgetting the fact that DVDs arent a COMPLETELY different model/whatever you want to call it from Blu-rays. They are still a disk, like DVDs. I'm sure the two will be compatible on players for a good while.
Down on your marrowbones and pray!
Evil Eye

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Tue May 04, 2010 6:16 pm

i'm not sure i really think this depends on how the world comes out of the economic crisis
if we go into like a golden 2015's Bluray or maybe even a new system will completely take over just like in the golden sixties
who would have thought everyone would have a T-Ford well who will expect we will all have bluray players?
i must say bluray Quality on HD TV with HDMI connector is AWESOME

so i can't say for sure but eventually Bluray will take over the MOVIE buisnness but i think DVD will still rule gaming and software

Return to Off-Topic