US soldiers charged with killing innocent civilians for fun

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

US soldiers charged with killing innocent civilians for fun

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm, once more, disgusted to be a part of this country.

A U.S. soldier's chilling description of killing Afghan civilians for fun was screened on Monday in front of a war crimes hearing investigating his case.

Cpl. Jeremy Morlock, 22, is one of five soldiers who stands accused of being part of a secret "kill team" in his Stryker brigade unit, murdering innocent Afghans and collecting their body parts as souvenirs.

Videotapes of his interviews with Army investigators surfaced on Monday, in which Morlock details how he and fellow soldiers Calvin Gibbs and Adam Winfield mercilessly targeted civilians.

In one clip, Morlock describes how they forced an innocent man to obey their commands and stand still while they killed him with a grenade.

"We had this guy by the compound, and so Gibbs, you know, walked him out and set him in place, like 'Hey, stand here,'" Morlock says on the tape, telling the invesigator they had the man stay "where Gibbs could get behind cover after the grenade went off."

"He pulled out one of his grenades...popped it...throws the grenade and then tells me and Winfield, alright dude, wax this guy," Morlock says. "Kill this guy, kill this guy."

The civilian was fully cooperative and unarmed, Morlock told the Army. "He wasn't a threat."

Morlock's attorneys are trying to suppress his remarks from being brought into evidence, saying the statements were given under the influence of heavy medications the soldier was taking to deal with the pain of traumatic brain injury, caused by repeated concussions sustained in combat.

An Army official, however, has testified that Morlock was lucid and present while making the statements.

"He made good eye contact," Army Special Agent Anderson Wagner told The Associated Press. "He was able to recount events that happened several months ago."

Morlock and his fellow soldiers stand accused of premeditated murder and conspirary to commit premeditated murder.

If convicted, they could face the death penalty.

With News Wire Services

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... ivili.html


Though I don't agree on the death penalty being used.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I say do what they do in Texas; we have the death penalty and we should USE it. If you kill someone, INTENTIONALLY take another person's life, forget life in prison. You deserve death yourself. Especially if you're killing "just for fun".

America is a corrupt country in my opinion. And the ones who think we're the center of the universe, a prefect nation, need to get their heads checked. Our judges let KNOWN CHILD MOLESTERS walk, for crying out loud! convicted murderers get just a few years in prison because of technicalities!

This country sickens me...
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
User avatar
Hopeflower
Wyvern
Wyvern
 
Posts: 18688
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: NY, USA

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Hopeflower wrote:I say do what they do in Texas; we have the death penalty and we should USE it. If you kill someone, INTENTIONALLY take another person's life, forget life in prison. You deserve death yourself. Especially if you're killing "just for fun".

Texas is just as horrible, regarding laws that decide someone's life.

Why? Who is any judge or jury to decide who deserves what? What gives them the right to decide whether someone has the right to exist, regardless of what the person has done?
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm

If we're going to use that argument, then what gives the MURDERER the right to end someone's life? What gives them the right to kill that person, and why should they not face the same fate? We preach equality, but we don't enforce it. If a human kills another person, it is my personal belief that the killer should face death themselves.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
User avatar
Hopeflower
Wyvern
Wyvern
 
Posts: 18688
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: NY, USA

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Hopeflower wrote:If we're going to use that argument, then what gives the MURDERER the right to end someone's life? What gives them the right to kill that person, and why should they not face the same fate? We preach equality, but we don't enforce it. If a human kills another person, it is my personal belief that the killer should face death themselves.


So two wrongs make a right?
"you killed dem so we kill you"... logic failure.

To sum it up:
An eye for an eye only ends up making the world go blind.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm not saying killing is right. I'm saying it's the only way to make the point clear; if you kill someone, or break any law really, you're going to have to face the consequences. Murderers should get a lethal injection. People who break into someone's home and steal something should have to repair the damage and replace what they took.

But again, that's just my opinion.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
User avatar
Hopeflower
Wyvern
Wyvern
 
Posts: 18688
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: NY, USA

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Hopeflower wrote:I'm not saying killing is right. I'm saying it's the only way to make the point clear; if you kill someone, or break any law really, you're going to have to face the consequences. Murderers should get a lethal injection. People who break into someone's home and steal something should have to repair the damage and replace what they took.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Wait wait wait...
So murder is a crime, because it's wrong to take someone elses life right? So how does the government punish those who commit the crime? By committing it themselves.

There's also the fact that I dont doubt hundreds of innocents have been executed. When someone's life is on the line, I can't support a system that can make that kind of mistake, with that much room for error...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Look, I get where you're coming from. Really, I do. But I can't support a system that lets people who killed once, or molested a young girl, or who were admitted to an insane asylum for extreme violence, walk. I'm saying that if someone did something wrong - REALLY wrong - and is proven guilty beyond a doubt, they deserve more than what the system gives them.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
User avatar
Hopeflower
Wyvern
Wyvern
 
Posts: 18688
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: NY, USA

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Hopeflower wrote:Look, I get where you're coming from. Really, I do. But I can't support a system that lets people who killed once, or molested a young girl, or who were admitted to an insane asylum for extreme violence, walk. I'm saying that if someone did something wrong - REALLY wrong - and is proven guilty beyond a doubt, they deserve more than what the system gives them.

Likewise, I completely understand your point of view, as most others share it, and I've heard it from them. I'm just giving reasons for my statements.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby PeacefulChaos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm

I disagree with the death penalty personally. Not like they're alive to deal with the consequences. I'd take death before the rest of my life in GITMO or the like.

Generalizing the US to be self centered, corrupt individuals looking to kill civilians like those people is just as bad as generalizing any other group of people. And that's probably exactly what they did. Generalized the civilians in some way, which led to their being killed innocently.
To keep track:
Amynta - Apatosaurus
Ripto - Velociraptor
Sheila - Velociraptor
Kujo - Stegosaurus
User avatar
PeacefulChaos
Mosquito
Mosquito
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:49 am

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Because the acts of a few condemn an entire nation? I'm sick of people talking about the country like its horrible and tyrannical.

The reason these soldiers killed the civilians? Because they are sick and twisted. The government is obviously taking action against them, as it states in the article. Its not like they ignore it.

The reason why child molesters go free? Because people lie. If someone goes "THEY MOLESTED MY DAUGHTER", they aren't going to throw the accused in jail automatically. These things need FACTS and PROOF. That's the way the legal system works. Do bad people go free? Yes, sometimes. But at the same time, innocent people go to jail or DIE for the actions they are wrongly accused of.

And I believe the death penalty is just, but only used on murderers who are 100% guilty. There's a big difference in taking the life of an innocent and taking the life of a murderer.
TyrannoTitan
 

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 pm

There is no such thing as 100% guilty.

only guilty and not-guilty, in the eyes of the law.

But I can't support a system that lets people who killed once, or molested a young girl, or who were admitted to an insane asylum for extreme violence, walk.


Agreed.
If Someone is sentenced to life, thats exactly what they should take.
Killing them? not necessarily.
But life imprisonment? That works.
Image
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
User avatar
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator
 
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Godzilla Forever » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:32 pm

How dreadful. I'm siappointed they didn't execute him, to be honest. I hate the death penalty, but you're gonna let HIM live?

As for a corrupt country..... anyone up for usurping it and restarting? No? Then we'll jsut have to deal with it, won't we?
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
User avatar
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan
 
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: In San Fransisco defeating the MUTOs.

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:There's a big difference in taking the life of an innocent and taking the life of a murderer.

There really isn't a whole lot.

Doc 42 wrote:Killing them? not necessarily.
But life imprisonment? That works.

This.

Godzilla Forever wrote:As for a corrupt country..... anyone up for usurping it and restarting? No? Then we'll jsut have to deal with it, won't we?

Yay for black and white thinking.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby Godzilla Forever » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:40 pm

I lost the ability to think grey a long time ago. Because there really is no middle anymore. everything is either with a company or is not nice despite its candy coating, or really is kinda good. The only grey is us poor people stuck in the middle. Otherwise, it is all black and white.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
User avatar
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan
 
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: In San Fransisco defeating the MUTOs.

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Regardless, there are more solutions than either going SUPER SECRT CONSPIRACY and "usurping and restarting" the nation, or just going "live with it"...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:01 pm

There is no such thing as 100% guilty.

only guilty and not-guilty, in the eyes of the law.


If someone is video taped killing someone else...I believe that's 100% guilty.

Agreed.
If Someone is sentenced to life, thats exactly what they should take.
Killing them? not necessarily.
But life imprisonment? That works.


No. Someone kills someone else, they get sent to prison, where they are given a nice cushy life with 3 square meals and a living being leeched from tax payer dollars. A murderer shouldn't get such a good life, confined or not.
TyrannoTitan
 

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 pm

Someone kills someone else, they get sent to prison, where they are given a nice cushy life with 3 square meals and a living being leeched from tax payer dollars. A murderer shouldn't get such a good life, confined or not.


That is EXACTLY what a friend of mine said. And I agree fully.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
User avatar
Hopeflower
Wyvern
Wyvern
 
Posts: 18688
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: NY, USA

Postby Godzilla Forever » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Hopeflower wrote:
Someone kills someone else, they get sent to prison, where they are given a nice cushy life with 3 square meals and a living being leeched from tax payer dollars. A murderer shouldn't get such a good life, confined or not.


That is EXACTLY what a friend of mine said. And I agree fully.

Yes. I agree as well. A killer deserves no sympathy, only if it was an accident or in self defense.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
User avatar
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan
 
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:19 am
Location: In San Fransisco defeating the MUTOs.

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:No. Someone kills someone else, they get sent to prison, where they are given a nice cushy life with 3 square meals and a living being leeched from tax payer dollars. A murderer shouldn't get such a good life, confined or not.


I wouldn't call prison life 'cushy' by any extention of the word, but I get what you mean.
I think Prisoners should serve two different terms

To start with, the prisoner would enter a Punishment term, serving most of the sentence in a prison where they are put under stress and in bad conditions. Not torture mind you, but an atmosphere where they have to do alot of work to get very little.

Once this is finished, they'd begin their rehabilitation term, which is what modern prisons are like now. Less emphasis on punishing, more emphasis on ensuring they dont recommit when they are released.

Prisoners given life would be stuck in Punishment until their death.
Image
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
User avatar
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator
 
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: Ireland

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron