Fantasy RPG Preparation Topic

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Doc 42 wrote:I like the relations system but maybe were thinking a bit too big?

nah. the bigger an RPG's universe gets, the better. the bigger anything fictional and written gets, the better. look at Star Wars and Lord of the Rings! the places they're set in are huge and detailed!
as long as we keep as much detail as possible in the worlds themselves, this RPG could well end up surpassing the ISSRPG...

and a BattleField RPG is NOT a good idea. all you do on a battlefield is do battle, be it with swords, axes, spears and horses, or guns, cannons, artillery, helicopters, tanks and Rocket Launchers. it's still the same. shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot. oh, and did i mention shoot? :P
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:41 pm

you forgot reload :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:49 pm

oh yeah! that's right! reloading!...oh and dying too....seems to be the latest fashion with some of the RPGs...they're always dying....i guess it's something these kids theswe days call "cool" :roll: :P
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:58 pm

The Kingpin wrote:.....Elves and Dwarves are known for their hatred to eachother

:shock:

You know nothing of this topic....Begone!
TyrannoTitan

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:
The Kingpin wrote:.....Elves and Dwarves are known for their hatred to eachother

:shock:

You know nothing of this topic....Begone!

yea watch lord of the rings
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:56 pm

ahem...im basing that info on the story that gave rise to Lord of the Rings....The Hobbit. Elves and Dwarves were known not to completely agree with eachother. in fact, shortly before LotR took place, they had what nearly became a battle between the 2 factions. even Gimli shows a disliking towards Legolas, and vice versa, until a bit later into the story....
trust me. i know my facts fairly well. been a while since ive read The Hobbit or watched Lord of the Rings, but i remember the facts fairly well.

NOW, back on topic.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:19 pm

How are we going to travel bewteen planets?
A Kraken Is hardley going to fly from planet to planet ehh?
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:13 am

here's where the Star Wars bit comes in. we use Star ships....space craft. any space faring craft you can imagine. heck, we may go as far as to have each character have his/her own personal space craft.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:39 am

What about the Dragons. Will they have their own alilen tech? Beacuase in the civilastion scale Dragons are preety primitize, no?
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:43 am

well, take into account that Dragons were thought to be far more intelligent than humans, could cast magic better than almost any other race in existence [it was natural to them] and they had the power to take on massive workloads due to their size and strength. i have a feeling Dragons may be one of the most advanced of the factions...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:59 am

For balance issues and to prevent power-playing we should have the Dragon familys only able breed every fifty or more years. Maybe give or take 10yrs
Demons should really be overly aggressive making them perdictable.
Humans are already pretty limited.(Come on there 6ft tall no magic, and have the stupidist leaders ruling them.
*cough* Bush *Cough*
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:46 am

Wow, I posted a topic without knowing it! Bejeezus! Well KP, I'm sorry, but I'm just sucked clean of ideas. :P I'll keep thinking, but I just really, no offence, don't like the idea you had for this RPG. I mean when I hear mythilogical creatures, I think of the good ol medevil ages, or mabye just a plain enviorment, not futuristic civilazations, and space crafts to visit other planets, it just doesn't fit for me. I will try my best to think of something, although I liked my evolution starting from scratch one.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby mega raptor » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:11 am

Whenever I think of mythology, I usually think of a mirror world entirely seperate from ours where the creatures of fantasy inhabit, though sometimes their are wormholes, portals if you will, that allow the creatures of fantasy and the people of reality to occasionaly meet, for example, inspiring Greek Mythology, while also being the reason behind the Bermuda Triangle and such. KP's idea, no offense, sounds more like Sci-Fi than Fantasy to me.

Now, how about a list of creatures for our RPG. Here's what I can think of. Feel free to take away or add onto it.

Werewolves
Gargoyles
Dragons/Wyverns
Vampires
Succubi
Centaurs
Minotaurs
Fairies (including pixies, gnomes, elves, etc)
Sea Serpants/Loch Ness Monster/Champ (or maybe these are better considered dragons)
Demons
Satyrs
Ogres/trolls
Rocs/Thunderbirds
Kraken/Lusca
Mermaids
Gremlins
Con Rit (or is it Kon Rit?)
Sirrush
Jersey Devil
Lindworm
Mokle-Mbembe
Unicorns
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby TyrantTR » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:40 am

I think... No. This I belive was made for absolute freedom, in other words, no creature restricions. You can be ANY mythilogical creature, but mabye it would have to be okay'd first.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 am

Well, since you guys arent happy with the idea, lets change it a bit. knock it back into the World of Lord of the Rings [or similar. just setting the world feel. we want to be a bit more original]. to sum it all up, take it like this: same factions, same goals, one planet, huge map, middle ages.

the industrialists are the ones with the most advanced weapons, like flintlock pistols, muzzle loader rifles, cannons...etc. the rest of the world has things like bows, arrows, maces, axes, crossbows, and of course, swords. however, as a downside, they have much lesser numbers. while the industrialists have a population of about 3 million, the rest of the factions have over 5 million...

as for creatures, any creature of KNOWN mythology, that isn't incredibly massive.
Dragons are the largest intelligent race, often with scales that are capable of protecting them from certain elements [a 3 element maximum] as well as being tough enough to deflect most weapons, have the ability of 2 breath types, 2 types of magic, and the ability to make enchanted weapons. the downside of this is that they are a very rare creature, with a total population of about 10,000; but those 10,000 are so mighty they are easily a match for the much larger industrialist and demon factions, boasting over 2,000,000 each.
Elves are the masters of enchantment and are very capable in the forests. they are the makers of some of the mightiest swords and bows in existence, as well as the best archers alive. they are also known for being skilled with swords.
Dwarves are short, usually jolly fellows who usually live underground. they have a short, sturdy build, making them very strong and hard to push over [literally :P ]. they are the best Axe and Hammer makers alive, having axes capable of causing small quakes around them. they are known for thier fiery tempers, and with hammers and axes as powerful as the ones they make, they are a force to be reckoned with, regardless of their size. they are among the mightiest warriors alive, and are known for their ability as panic raisers; able to spread fear and panic into an enemy army quite quickly.
Demons are an evil race that are known for their speed and slyness. they are usually armed with "black swords"; swords armed with black magic, capable of cursing the person they are fighting for a small period of time, usually going no more than a week. the demons are fast, sneaky, cruel, and partly insane. they are the biggest faction.
Industrialists are humans of a highly advanced technological state. they are the most advanced of the factions, being the only ones who have made gunpowder weapons. however, they have a tendency to be twisted by their leaders. because of their current, foolish leader, they have recently plunged into a series of wars that have been economically costly, and have resulted in several millions of people killed, many of their best technologies stolen, and a large number of rebels rising in the empire.
Vampires consider themselves the nobleest of the factions, often preffering the high class life. however, the young vampires are known for thier very active lifestyles, going from one club to another, seducing and feeding off their victims before going to the next club and repeating the process. they are also known for their hatred of werewolves, and take on the young ones quite actively. the are known for their speed, agility, super human strength, longevity, and skill with a blade. they are among every lone human's worst nightmares, rivalling.

and those are just example bios for some of the factions. tell me EXACTLY what you think would be good. right now, the only reason i dont go with the evolution from scratch idea, is that it would be too much like BoFRPG. we wants something a bit more unique. though i would just like to have a dragon like i have in RotDRPG, flying around and burning enemies, communicating with other dragons, and so on, i need to see what everyone else wants. perhaps...PERHAPS, i'll make it so that the factions can have natural and semi-anthro types, the natural ones being better at surviving, while the anthropomorphic ones being the most capable of living in social groups, due to their size letting them fit into the cities of the smaller factions. the natural ones, in this case, a normal dragon, needs nothing more to be said. a powerful creature with 2 types of breath, 2 types of magic, scales that are resistant to most things, and are super resistant to 3 certain elements, depending on the dragon, and usually grow up to a maximum of 90 feet, being the largest of mythological creatures. Anthro version: Draconian: A Dragon who, for unknown reasons, has developed a more human like form, wearing suits of armour, clothing, arming themselves with swords and pistols, and so on. they are smaller than true dragons, being only slightly taller than a normal man.

so...what do you guys want in this RPG? the more needs i can fill in this RPG, the more active it will be, and therefore, the more fun. start throwing in ideas.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:39 pm

The Dragons are too powerful. Other than numbers they have no real limitations. I think Dragons should have at least one serious limitation and/or Disadvantage. I also think Dragons wisdom should be brought down silightly.
The industrialists should have access to steam powered contraptions.
There should be another human faction that act as mercinarys and assains. This would just be a guild of the fastist most skilled and heartless warriours in the world.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:07 pm

ok..dragons to be brought down. lets say...natural ones are usually very weak to the element that is opposite to ONE of the 3 it is especially resistant to. for example, it is extremely resistant to cold, BUT fire is lethal to it, unless rescued quite quickly by another, less vulnerable dragon, or some other thing capable of moving them around. when exposed to this dangerous weakness, they lose their abilities. no magic, until they are freed from the lethal element that they are vulnerable to. also, during the time they are exposed to this element, only one of it's 2 breath types can be used. if exposed to 2 different elements at the same time, one dangerous and another it's resistant to, the 2 elements will counteract eachother, weakening the amount of vulnerability the dragon has to it [where are you going to be exposed to 2 different elements at the same time, eh? not very often :P ]. that better?

as for the humans, i mentioned earlier that a Mages faction was also going to be made. they would be the leaders of the war against the industrialists. we could also add a small guild within the industrialists to fit your suggestion. assassins and mercinaries, ex military veterans with excellent abilities in combat...etc
Last edited by The Kingpin on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I think thats a good way to put things. You have my vote
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Or we could say dragons are close to extinction therefore there are not alot of them!

Or....we could go with what KP said....

But either way, i'm joinin the Fantasy RPG.
TyrannoTitan

Postby TyrantTR » Sat May 19, 2007 12:54 am

Sorry for the bump guys. But I just don't like were this RPG is going, I didn't like the plot (No offense KP) and I couldn't think of anything better. I know KP said I could start the topic, but I'll leave that to someone else. I just can't do it. Mabye I'll see how it goes when it is made but other wise, no. So yeah. Sorry if this was a needless bump, but, yeah...
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic