Discussion about Cultures' contribution to civilization.

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Discussion about Cultures' contribution to civilization.

Postby TyrantTR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 am

Dude, us Americans invented... INDOOR PLUMING. I think. Wait what did we invent that doesn't cause mass distruction and a series of radiated phases... Ok I don't know what we invented that was helpful to the world. Heck I hate america. Turn a corner, there is a bannana peel, turn another something that supoorts global warming, turn another, ah thank you man, I will enjoy this book you so richiously left for me. Yup that is what it is like here. Same ol same ol.

Spore: This game is the ultimate in gaming. And my parents said if it is M, they will read a refiew and if it is good I will get it. :D
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Dinonerd » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:20 am

with the game i'm planning to make i want to become a king of the gaming industry just like Will Wright.

mega raptor wrote:Well, I can't blame KP, the Arabs have contributed a lot to the modern world. The Middle East, after all, is the Cradle of Civilization.

I have to disagree with that i would say Asia is... no offence to KP but the world would be way way different without Asia, but if the middle East was gone it would not be as effecting. Anyway the scotish invented ALOT, they even invented TV :o Well it was a Scotish man, btw i'm not scotish.
RIP Steve

RIP Zyzz
Dinonerd
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:03 am

Indoor plumming? sorry man. that was the Persians and Indians' work [BTW, I Dont like the Iranians much, and they are descendants of the Persians...].
oh, and Africa was the start of everything, Arabs were the start of maths [Algebra among them], modern philosophy, astronomy, chemistry, the gun [took china's fireworks and turned them into weapons :P ] and a load of other things. the americans were the ones who came up with modern warfare [though it was done, in a way, by the arabs. not the whole army in a line], britain was the owner of the mightiest fleet in the world's history for a while, and China, as we all know, are the source of some of the most interesting, strange and useful stuff i've ever seen, as well as a reputation for quick-to-smash toys [most of the toys available here are Chinese :roll: ]. i wont mention anymore, to avoid blowing this topic to ****. the point is, DONT underestimate ANY culture or part of the world just because they aren't the scientific center of the world today, ok?
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Ah.....wrong.

The British made the first bullet and Gun. I JUST watched a special about it about a week ago.

Also, America made ALOT of stuff.

British: First Weapons

America: Democracy

Arabs: ......Sand? :lol: :lol:

Irish: Beer

China: Gunpowder

And so on.

The moral of the story is: The Arabs didn't make jack ****! Or...they did make VERY useful things, but they didn't make all the stuff you listed KP. And the thing about the Arabs up to the top of the post, is a JOKE!
TyrannoTitan

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:53 pm

oh, BTW, what is the date that the "british" made guns? because, first of all, if it wasn't for the Arabs, the gunpowder wouldn't have even reached England in the first place (Kuwait was the most important port in the middle east before the Suez Canal was built. everything came through here on it's way to England. the British East India Trading Company used Kuwait as it's main base 4 times because of trouble in Ottoman Iraq, and it was ALWAYS the path chosen to transport goods to England quickly [it was much faster than going all the way around Africa]). some of the names of scientists that had a hand in modern chemistry, philosophy, astronomy, medicine and maths, are: Ibn Rashid [Philosophy. was the basis for Roger Peacon (name uncertain. im translating names written in arabic)], Hai bin Yaqathan [his letter to a man named Ibn Tafeel al Andalusi was what inspired Daniel Dijo (sp?) to write a book called Robinson Cruzo (sp?)], Jabir bin Haian [Chemistry], Mohammed bin Musa al Khawarizmi [is one of the 2 reasons Algebra exists. the other is ANOTHER Arabic scientists called Jabir something, or something Al Jabir]. (his book was translated from Arabic to Latin in the 15th century), ibn Seena wa-rrazi [medicine]. among the discoveries and creations: Cipher [later had it's name changed to Zero by the Europeans], numbers [1,2,3,4...etc], vision correcting glasses...etc

Poets and writers in Europe were VERY heavily effected by arabs. the italian poet Dante based his "Devine Comedy" poem on an Islamic event several centuries before his time, called Al-Isra' wal-mi'raj. Sinbad, A Thousand and One Nights and many others are stories and books made by the Arabs, that had immense effect on the European poets and writers. heck, Pope Sylvester II was tought by Arabs!
during the time, Sicily, Andalusia [currently spain and portugal] and most of southern Europe was packed full of Arabic schools, which helped pull Europe out of the Dark ages. if it wasn't for the damned Ottomans and Jenghis Khan, the Arabs would still be the peak of civilization now. but, things happen, and things did, and now, we're not only NOT the most advance people in the world, we're 20 years behind the rest of the modernized countries!!! :x
[because of Jenghis Khan for destroying the most important Arabic library in existence, where al the most recent and advanced Arabian discoveries knowledge was kept, and because of the Ottomans for oppressing the Arabian world and keeping them from the outside world, preventing them from learning off other countries' advancements and using that to advance even further]

anyway, there's my retaliation and rant out of the way. feeling much better now... :P

oh, and dont claim this is false. you'd be claiming history is wrong. im pulling out this info from a history book.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:56 pm

An ARAB history book. It may be different for the USA or another country.
TyrannoTitan

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:06 pm

nah, i doubt it. US histoy books wouldn't even have it mentioned in that amount of detail. wouldn't have it mentioned at all, since it's such a recent country. Kuwait was founded before the US, and it's one of the most recent Arab countries!
as for other countries, they wont have detailed histories on countries that arent so close to them that they are practically taking over the country... :roll:

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:41 pm

I still think its a load of ****. It doesn't matter if your country came before the USA.

Who's a world power? HMMMMM? Thats right, the USA. NOT Kuwait.

And we aren't a world power because of our military. It's partly that, and the achievements we made. Who lets the people decide their rulers? The United States. NOT KUWAIT.
TyrannoTitan

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:41 pm

woah woah woah hold it. Kuwait DOES let it's people choose their rulers. it's just that the majority still preffer the Sabah family, and the ones who dont dont want to speak out, because they dont want to look like fools in the eyes of the majority :roll: .
also, the US started off with WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more people than Kuwait. the US had ALL the colonies that Britain owned on the mainland. Kuwait had what? a few hundred? maybe a bit less. ALSO, the US didn't have an ENORMOUS very heavily armed, super aggressive empire controlling most of the mainland and resources at it's borders. you had an empire against you, but it didn't have as strong a footing on the land around the US. had Kuwait been in the US' place, it would be as good as the US now...

finally, go study some history online. better still, go looking for specialized history books on Chemistry, Medicine, Maths, Philosophy, Astronomy and any other topic i might have mentioned above. you'll find a large portion of the book depends on things that Arab scientists had discovered and brought up. in fact, if you really want to say something against me, i ask you to please find some evidence saying anything to directly contradict what i say. for example, the Zero.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Uh ya.....We defeated a huge nation (The British!) but that was nothing.....

And we were a fricken colony.
TyrannoTitan

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

as i said: England didn't have as strong a footing in the Americas as the Ottomans did here. i mean, Imagine the USA, taking on something 1 18th the size of Kuwait, which is sitting on it's borders. yeah. that's what the odds were. we didn't have any wars with them, because they practically owned all of Arabia. Iran, Iraq, Turkey, the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt, Tunisia, Sudan, Morroco...etc.

oh, and you were a group of colonies. and in total, far more than the Kuwaitis were...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:12 pm

When you said "us Arabs" its the same thing as me saying us "Europeans discovered so much"
But I dont like calling myself a European as in the middle ages and around then all they did was kill people who werent the same as them, (which was alot of people)
wow TT I cant belive you posted in this topic, I thought you were completely against that kind of talk. But anyway us Irish have accomplised practilly nothing compared to the rest of the world. But that said we have been under the Britsih boot for a couple hundread years. AND I think the British are a great crowd so no complaining about me being predjudice.
Last edited by Doc 42 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby mega raptor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Actually TT, the Americans haven't created democrocy. That was actually the Athenians, we only refined it to include everyone, and that we've only done in the last 40+ years. The only things we've given the world are, in the words of the fictional Jean Girade, "George Bush, fast food and Cheerios" if I remember correctly.
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:13 pm

The lightbulb, television, holywood, Massive burgers, etc etc. just to name a few of Ameiricas acheivments.
And I would of picked some better bad traits such as: Fat people, War for the fun of it and worset of all EA *shock* *Horror*
And just for KP, the arabs invented writen language, nice little ornaments blah blah blah blah. Britten had the first parliment in Europe, which is a great acheivment.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:39 pm

simple fact: Every culture, every country, every race, every faction, every group of people, whatever you want to say, has it's good points and bad points. we aren't perfect. that's what a human is; imperfect. never have been, and never will be. we'll get better, sure, but not perfect.
EA...lol...little ornaments.... :? what little ornaments?

BTW: Kuwait also "refined" democracy. well, the first changes came when Kuwait was founded, and it was complete in 1962 [iirc. been a while since i had a look at my Kuwait Consitution book...]. my uncle had a hand in it. the first Kuwaiti Doctor...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby HorseGal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Wait, I thought it was the romans who created democracy. Isn't that what democracy was based on? Or maybe it was Greece...

I think the British originally invented the first automobile around 1904 or something like that? The first telephone was invented by the Americans.
"You alone can make my song take flight, help me make the music of the night."-Phantom POTO
"There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star." -Henry Thoreau
HorseGal
Allosaurus
Allosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:35 pm

The Kingpin wrote:simple fact: Every culture, every country, every race, every faction, every group of people, whatever you want to say, has it's good points and bad points. we aren't perfect. that's what a human is; imperfect. never have been, and never will be. we'll get better, sure, but not perfect.
EA...lol...little ornaments.... :? what little ornaments?

BTW: Kuwait also "refined" democracy. well, the first changes came when Kuwait was founded, and it was complete in 1962 [iirc. been a while since i had a look at my Kuwait Consitution book...]. my uncle had a hand in it. the first Kuwaiti Doctor...

YAY someone makes sense! Oh and everyone has refined there own democracy. And little ornaments, all those little trinkets which those anneoying merchants dont stop telling you to buy, I swear if I am in the middle east again and someone asks me to buy a peice of metal with some carvings on it I will shoot someone [if I had a gun nearby, which I dont]
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:48 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I'd be willing to bet everything i own that that person you were talking to is either Egyptian, Bengali, Pakistani or Indian! they're the only ones who do that sort of thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Talking? no I would say "being harassed by"
My Brother had similar expeirances, but someone went up to him with a pair of sun glasses and said "You buy, they look good on you"
But they are only slightly worse than the ones who sit on there mats and wait for you to come to them, as they place their mats right next to doorways to force you to look at their collection of crap before jumping over it.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:10 pm

did they have a problem with saying this, that, these, those, they...etc? do they say zey instead of they?

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Next

Return to Off-Topic