Evolution VS Creationism

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 am

But of course we can gain evidence from rock samples, digging way down deep to get really old soil samples. Not just saying "GOD DID IT".

God didn't make earth or any other planet. 1 day for god is a thousand for man...oh ya, right. Riiiiiight. Facts plz, then compare it to something that has proof.

-_-' No, species didn't start out with two creatures. No f*cking way. When things evolved, one group of offspring are mutated (Evolved), and mate/combine with the normal ones and slowly combine the two. There is no two of anything, its inbreeding, if it were the case, we'd all be born with arms on our forehead and other horrid mutations. Don't even start with that.

He was still an OLD MAN! How can an OLD MAN get a LION on a BOAT? Think rationally before argueing kthxbai.

I'm saying the stories. Adam and Eve, god creating the earth, David and Goliath, Noah's Ark, all stories. Jesus and (obviously) god, I believe to be true. The others? They sound so OBVIOUSLY like fairy tales, I mean come on. I don't know HOW people believe them....

I believe god only created the processes and doesn't interfear. Hence why we have some much death and destruction in our world. Its not his job to personally do something, planets or otherwise. Only reason Jesus was here is because we had enough intelligence to actually have religion, hence why the son of god was brought into the world. Again, this is just my belief.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Zephyr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 am

I'll just make my point

God creates planet, God invents evolution, God leaves the rest to happen naturally
Zephyr
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:35 pm

The bible says the animals walked in, I beilive. And he had like helping people, anyway.

Creationist have done more tests on rock samples then evolutionist have. The result: each test is different each time. It just dosen't work.

The birth defect rate I'm sure was drasticly decreased then then it is now. The world was much different back then.

Now I've said this before, but science shouldn't just rely on evolution. They should apply evolution, creation, and whatever other theories there are to see which one works best for that peice of evidence. Then using this, form ideas of which ones work at which times. Ya know? Then we can explain a lot more, :wink:
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby C S » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 pm

RL, if a brother and a sister had a baby, IT WILL ALWAYS GET A BIRTH DEFECT, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL!!!!! The DNa is too similar
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:54 pm

prehaps we all have a universal birth defect, we just don't consider it a birth defect. Maybe it has to do with that we only use 10% of our brain. This is just a guess, though.
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby C S » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm

The other 90% of our brain takes care of our senses, movement, and survival instincts is worse coems to worse
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:07 pm

as I said, that was a guess. I don't know, maybe we are missing something.
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Im going to put it right up and front and say: I dont believe in god.
I didnt say to myself: Thats stupid, there obviously isnt a god. It was a long and depressing process in which I finally accepted that I didn't believe in him (i spent probably a year trying to convince myself he existed)

You talk about the heart not being able to just 'HAPPEN!!'
Things happen gradually. reaaaaaaaaaaaaly gradually. Things that work, stay. Imagine a cell multiplying into two cells. It sticks together, strength in numbers. Over time, it builds on this theory, collecting even more numbers. But then it gets so big that the whole thing cant sustain itself. one half might get the food it needs while the other side misses out and dies. So it starts throwing or catapulting the resources the Cells need across the system of cells. Over time it gets more complex.

Another note. I think, in alot of ways, the Dinosaurs prove evolution. According to paleontoligists (sp is all wrong) dinosaurus were brittle, easily hurt. If a large theropod fell it could break a leg, be prevented from hunting and in most cases die. Over how many millions of years, Evolution has proceeded with survival of the fittest, eventually makeing better organisims. (eg: small insects can fall huge distances and be completely fine.)
Its like selective breeding. in selective breeding, only the prime animals are allowed to breed. The result is generally better animals.
In Evolution, the best designs survive as they are better coped of dealing with their surroundings. The result, better designed creatures (not just animals, plants also evolve.)

As I final note, that "something we are missing" is acceptance that we now have a better explanation. Creationism was scientifically accepted hundreads of years ago. When we didn't know any better. Now that we have progressed, we have learnt more, we can form a better theory. RL, you complained that science only applies on theory to things, evolution. That is because it is the most recent and up to date theory. Sure you could argue that Darwins theory is ages old. But unlike creationism, evolution welcomes change. Creationism was set up to stay as it is and never change. things have changed alot since darwins time.

Just look at my younger cousin, her name is Hannah if you were wondering. I remember when she was about... 4-5. She asked me why the sea is blue but the water in her glass wasn't any colour (smart kid, eh? I never questioned the whole water=blue theory untill I was way older than that) I simply said to her: "I dunno either. You tell me. Why do you think the water in your glass isnt any colour and the sea is?" She reckoned that the County Council didn't like the colour blue, so they made their water see through. If I asked her to tell me "why the water in her glass isnt any colour but the sea is?" now, she would look at me funny and then reply "because the sea reflects the sky, duh."
When she was 4-5, the best explanation that she could think of was that someone was changeing the water. Now that she is older, and understands more about our world, she can say happily that its just a reflection and that ALL water is actually see through, just depends on where you look at it. Now imagine if when she asked me why the water in the glass wasnt blue, if I said to her "Because the county council changes it" She would accept that as fact. She looks up to me. Alot. She would never even consider the idea that I lied to her. If someone told her it was just a reflection, she would've contridcted them and said "No, the county council changes it. My older cousin told me."

That is why I believe you shouldn't believe anything unless you can prove it.
Sure, there are exceptions. Like in Maths (or math to our american members :roll: )
The teacher explains the rules of algerba and eventually you can decide that yes, X=4 and it makes sense as to why it does. But then the teacher could be lieing to us about those rules, or she/he has no proof for those rules. But thats where creative thinking comes in, Mathematics, things with no physical presence on the world.

Then we have Science. Science comes in and builds upon creative thinking. Science finds out "why rules are right" Or in some cases, why they arent right. You could argue your whole life metal doesnt melt. You could declare to the whole world that metal doesnt melt and that is fact. However, that doesnt mean a scientist wont say: "thats an interesting rule, lets find out WHY metal doesnt melt" then of course he melts it and finds out that amazingly, metal DOES melt.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:57 pm

RL...Lets take plants, for instance. Photosynthesis is a chemical process in which they use carbon dioxide and sunlight to create food and oxygen. Its a process on a molecular level that has occured since plants first came to be. From the beginning of the earth. Those things don't CHANGE BECAUSE OF TIME. If we see birth defects now, then there were the same back then. Just because it was "a long time ago" doesn't mean its any more a BIRTH DEFECT. Adam and Eve is the most obviously ficitional story in the bible, so much if wrong with it, the only thing you can and have said is "It happened". You have no facts. You have no logic. Its just what the new age of people brainwashed you into thinking is true.

My mother and father went to Catholic school, and at the end of their last year, they were told, BY A PRIEST, that ALL the things in the Bible, minus the lord, the devil, and Jesus Christ, were all morals and nothing more. How can you explain that? I call it "People who think the bible stories are true, tell their children the same thing, and becomes some new religious thing". It doesn't make sense and it never WILL make sense.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Raptor Llama » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Catholic priest. What do you expect. They have modified the bible to something quite abserd. In fact, most catholics are evolutionist. I was told that from a catholic. I am not catholic.

The atmosphere was different then. The climate, the temperature, everything. People lived sometimes up to 500 years. And Photosynthesis is a natural process. Birth defects are unnatural errors caused by various things.

And evolution isn't a fact. It's a theory. There's a difference.
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Actually, its: 1) The only SENSABLE option (Makes more sense then 'God did it'), 2) They have PROOF it works. I don't remember the article exactly, but I think it said they watched a certain type of fish for many, many years (IIRC, 100 years) and they are finally seeing very small changes. Yes, I realize I have to find a source, which I will.

And dude, birth defects are CAUSED by genetic defects, like I said, on a molecular level. Normal defects, unexplained ones, that is, are random mostly. But if two relatives have a child, thats called inbreeding, and its combining two of the same genes, which causes genetic defects. Its ASKING for birth defects, and its not altered by the atmosphere, landscape, or any of that bullsh*t.
TyrannoTitan

Postby C S » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:14 pm

WTF RL!? 500 years?! THATS METOBOLICALLY IMPOSSIBLE,WE ARE NOT REPTILES! OUR BONE DETERIORATE OVER YEARS,BY TIME WE'ER 40 WE FEEL THE EFFECTS!!!!
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Seriously this gets old. If adam and eve were the first two true humans then why the hell is every single different in alot of ways? Asians Mexicans Native Americans, Affircans, all have different physical adaptations to what was there enviorment, be it an extra muscle or facial structure. And I really don't think it started with just 2. Because even then you'd have to accept evolution, because why is there so many varients. Afros, short hair lobg hair. All of that. Man wasn't 2.

Oh and watch the best channel, Discovery for the win last year they had something on Noah's ark reveailing the "truth" And they even found what they thought to be Noah's body. THe story just glorified it when actuall Noah was a rahter dirty man who never payed his debts.

Why someone can say that anything the don't understand is god's doing I don't know. And yes I belive in god, but I don't belive that the bible is a literal transition of how the whole entire planet was made, I mean let's look at the facts.

Back then the early man belived the earth was a dome, with a big plot of land and an ocean surrownding it, and the dome had poores for rain ofcoarse.

Now when you here that does it sound like they really cared much for science?

No, no, no.

Only philosophers, Aristotle and such actually included science in there religion starting probably some of the most brilliant **** to be spread. Mabye the universe was made by god, mabye whatever created the universe was made by god, but earth and it's inhabitants weren't.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:28 am

No I'm all for evolution because it at least has been proven but due to my religion which is catholic I am made to believe certain things and I won't consider you guys heretics for not being christians either, we all have our beliefs.

Indeed reading back earlier I do agree on TT's statement that God doesn't interfere. That is true I believe. Considering we have constantly hunted his creatures to extinction (some to extinction of course) but I think he just watches and wants to see what will happen with us, we have learned to adapt to a lot of things in the past. Who's to say we can't in the near future?

It's the same as I don't believe in miracles, literally, I'd say it's more luck that has to do with it, say you do something you thought you were never capable of, probably just good luck or that you mind may have acted on its own to direct you, driving you to that moment which gives you so much glory and yet you never expected it.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Dunno if you will regard this as proof, but I do.
http://www.olympic.org/uk/index_uk.asp

The human race is evolving constantly. Thats why we have differences in abilites. thats why the olympics is possible. You might argue that the changes dont stay, like we say they do in evolution. Thats because we don't live in a survival of the fittest society. Our society has gone to great lengths to ensure that most people have equal chances of survival. However, if you were to introduce a man eating alien into the olympics which could run just as fast as the second best runner in the world. It would probably slowly eat everyone there, except the best runner in the world. Seeing as all the other people have been eaten, the best runner in the world is the only one who finally gets married and has a kid. As we know from genetics, traits will carry down. he/she mightened by as fast as his father/mother, he might be even faster than them. But chances are he will be faster than the alien. Then s/he gets married and has a child. That child will also be faster than the alien. Good gosh... Would you look at that. The human race has evolved and adapted to its new conditions. A particularly fast alien was eating them, so via survival of the fittest, humans are now faster runners!
compare this to selective breeding within farms and you will see that evolution is all around us makeing tiny changes.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Actually I have been noted of this that in some humans (this was during Archery practice for Recreation Class) that our instructor told us some have double jointed arms. It's a slow evolution in human muscles. I actually have double joints in the arms which is why I also find that I'm slow in writing, making me disadvantaged and it also tires my wrist out very quickly and in some rare cases has given me cramps in the fingers.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Raptor Llama » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Well of cource there is minor changes, it's called natural selection. I beilive in natural selection, just not that it can create entirely new species. Human put in Africa will "evolve" per say to the heat, in a way were they get darker skin to survive the hot climate. People that live in the mountains have stronger lungs to have the ability to get enough oxygen. Bird beaks will change so they can eat certain foods. I just beilive that a whale isn't going to start walking on land because of scarecity in the ocean, it's just going to start getting slimer so it can catch up with the new faster food or something. Or a fish isn't going to grow lungs because the eggs aren't safe. The eggs are going to get stronger so the predators cannot get the eggs. Then the predators are going to get stronger and so on and so forth. They "evolve" within their own species, minor changes to survive.
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:46 pm

ugh...i hate it when Arguements blow up as big as this. it's really, really, really simple:

God created the universe, everything in it, and life on planets, in the form of micro organisms in Earth's case. then he gave them the ability to evolve so that they could adapt to suit their specific natural environments. hence the world as it is today. we're evolving, but we were a creation in the beginning. and by we, i don't mean the human race specifically, though it MAY have some seperation from everything else, if you take the amount of differences we have as opposed to animals in general. personally, i happen to have double jointed fingers. extreme flexibility and speed while typing are among the things that can be attributed to that [and don't mark my lack of posting as an attribute of being double jointed. it's because i'm just very, very, very, very lazy :P ]. it's really simple if you take things into account properly. science isn't purely facts without any link religiously whatsoever. they aren't seperate. it's the same world, it's the same facts, it's the same laws in both. sure, as we advance, we attribute more previously religious things to science, and find proof. but does that mean they aren't still religiously linked? no. it's just that now we understand the science behind those things, where once, we relied purely on religion. now, we use both. we understand it more. Natural Selection and Evolution are both part of a single process which generally improves the organism effected so that it may easily live in it's environment. simple...

now, i really am not in the mood for an argument. not with the coming exams, that is. sure if someone wants to argue, go right ahead. i don't really care all that much. just understand that that's the way i see the world, and for me, it's perfectly obvious. at least, for the ones who see it from that point of view. just try and see it like that...you'll find i'm right...
Last edited by The Kingpin on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Hopeflower » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:01 pm

I'll just state my opinions on this matter because I've been dying for something to do all day.

I don't believe god exists, even though my religion is christian. I believe that all creatures on the planet began with the simplest life forms and grew from there. In a word, evolution.

Don't go lecturing me about what the Bible says...I've never read it once. Never in all 14 years of my life. I don't go to church (and if I do I don't pay attention).

I believe we, as humans, have taken everything and blown it to bits that are easy to understand.

Side note: Everything, every last word in this post, is my opinion. I'm stating what I believe. I'm not in any way saying anyone has to believe the way I do, or think the way I think. It's a free world. We can believe what we want, regardless of religion.

I'm done. Just had to get that off my chest.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:36 pm

KP: Most scientists who discover things in the field of evolution are athiests, so no, its not religiously linked. Its the drive to understand the world completey, its that simple. Religion, afterall, was brought into this world when A) Early humans didn't understand how the land they walked on was created, and B) We wanted to find guidence somehow. Its been that way ever since. Why do you think we have these random religions now? People are always looking for some voice to tell them what to do.

And you can't say "You'll find I'm right", cause who the HELL are you to say which religion or belief in general is right? I mean no disrespect, but thats kinda retarded if you ask me. NO ONE, not even the Pope, not even a high priest, knows who's religion is right. You'll find out when you die, simple as that.

RL: You just said you believe in evolution. Right there. I remember now, about these birds, the birds that inspired Darwin to propose the idea of evolution. They were the SAME birds on the main land, but their beaks were completely different there on the Galapacos Islands. It evolved, and the new bird allowed it to all in all survive better. THATS why Evolution has facts. THATS why its actually PROVEN. Creationism has no facts and just says "God did it" for everything too complex to understand.
TyrannoTitan

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic