Isla Sorna Stories - NYC Plot discussion and rules.

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Use the Idea?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes : 21

Isla Sorna Stories - NYC Plot discussion and rules.

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:45 pm

The staff have been thinking over the lack of activity in ISS, and assumed that either people are too busy to think of something to do in the RPG, thanks to school, or are just too lazy to post.

We have taken it upon ourselves to provide a change in ISS, which will hopefully offer many more options for people to post about. Our idea is this:

Humans once again come to Sorna with the intention to capture dinosaurs, but not to make a park. Their purpose is to sell the dinosaurs to the first person they find, being a modern equivalent of pirates. Anyone who wishes to participate would have their characters captured, and taken to a new setting; A post-apocalyptic New York City.
Imagine I am Legend. Just with dinos and without the zombies :P
Grass pokeing up out of cracks in the streets, cars strewn everywhere. Caves replaced by houses and cafés.

Essentially, dinosaurus adapting to an urban environment, using the city as their new jungle.

There would be zero humans in New York City, after the dinosaurs' captors leave, due to chemical warfare cutting human population down to the hundred thousands across the globe. The bridges in New York City would be destroyed, forcing the dinosaurs to remain on the island city, but the buildings themselves would be intact. Plants, with no one to control their growth, would grow throughout the city, in lots, gardens, etc. The streets would remain the same, but there would be small patches of forested area in large lots throughout the city, which, coupled with Central Park, would support the herbivores that lived in the city.

It would act the same as Sorna; no dinosaur could leave the island, even to go back to Sorna. People can choose to stay on Sorna, or move to NYC, but CAN NOT go between the two. The dinosaurs in NYC would stay there for a year (Not RPG time, give or take a month or two), before returning to Sorna via another event.

The population, however, must be controlled because of the terrain. Weather wouldn't effect the dinosaurs; this is the distant future, in which global warming as taken effect in New York, so no more snow would fall in the city, and would remain hot and humid. This is our plan for the dinosaurs' actual population:

Large Carnivores (Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus): ONLY Character Dinosaurs, no NPC varieties of these dinosaurs would exist in the city for balance issues.

Medium Carnivores (Allosaurus, NanoTyrannus, Ceratosaurus): Few NPC Dinosaurs of this variety will be present in the city to allow for pack animals such as Allosaurus to form packs (Packs must have at LEAST one Player in the pack itself, so there would be ZERO NPC packs present).

Small Carnivores (Raptors, Coelophysis): NPCs would be present in the city, to allow the formation of packs, but once again, AT LEAST one player character must be in a pack, if one wishes to create one. No NPC packs will be present. (creatures like compies are exempt from this)

Herbivores would be much more widespread, for reasons which will become obvious when the move happens.

Here is a basic map of the general area. It also shows the limits placed on where the dinos can travel.

Here is a link to the original

With that said, we would like to ask the members for their opinions. Do you think you like the idea/would like to participate in it?
TyrannoTitan

Postby C S » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Awsome idea...

Me living in NYC personally es having alot of plot ideas- AH DAMN HEAD ACHE
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Anaclagon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Sounds good

Remember the Name
Anaclagon
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

Postby Buwx » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:45 pm

I like it, it would really give me something to RP about... I mean, my Spino and T-rex Characters are really... out of it? This would really help me in the involvment with the other characters... as it may to some other as well.
"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just... do things." - The Joker
Buwx
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Good to hear others liking the idea.

One thing I forgot to mention, which is a no-brainer, but still...

Large Carnivores CAN. NOT. DESTROY. BUILDINGS.

Its just impossible. Even small things like a Taco Bell or something. They would have no need for it.

This isn't directed at anyone, just a statement for all to see...
TyrannoTitan

Postby dinoman666 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Sounds like a good idea, though it seems identical to Sorna, only with an altered environment, and could probably suffer the same fate as right now, if it lasts too long.
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Well, everything in our society will be a mystery for the dinosaurs, which could offer some interesting things. Like glass, doors, even tables and chairs. The different dinosaurs could hold territories around certain places for certain reasons, like a pack of raptors keeping the subway under their control because it offered a safe way to travel around inside a place too small for large carnivores.

Its just a change of scenery for a while. I get what you're saying, but the plots and the like will be different from any that took place on Sorna, just because of the environment. Like I said, the move isn't permanent, but will not be ending too soon for people to enjoy it to the fullest.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Iceking » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:47 pm

I don't mind having some or all of my characters captured and taken to live in new york for a time.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Buwx » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:50 pm

What would add most interest, is that your taking the dinos, and putting them in a city, a habitat that none of them are familiar with. It's just like taking some rich guy, and sticking him on a deserted island. I like it... alot.
"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just... do things." - The Joker
Buwx
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Yeah, just think about cars, or glass, a raptors worst enemy :P

Manequins are sure to cause some mischeif too. But personally, I think things are going to get really cool when they learn to adapt to the city.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Pyronychus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Sounds like a great idea. This'll definitely liven things up.

Member of the Slow Posters Club
Pyronychus
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby Lolburst » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:59 am

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:Large Carnivores CAN. NOT. DESTROY. BUILDINGS.

Wait, what? You just said that they're adapting to post-apocalyptic New York.

Post-apocalyptic

And you also said there's global warming going on there. Grass is growing from cracks, cars are threwn all over the city, so obviously this could refer that many buildings have fallen into disrepair. I don't mean like all buildings, some might be still with some rust out there, but my common sense is alarming that your statement makes no sense in some cases.

Otherwise I support this idea, I had once with my friend and maybe some other guy a RP over xfire with dinosaurs in big buildings. It was going good, but I think I quit it for some reason.
Lolburst
Worm
Worm

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm

the buildings wouldn't have been completely wrecked. remember: NYC is the city of Concrete and Steel. it takes alot to corrode such heavy duty material. sure, some buildings would have chunks missing, rubble on the streets, cars strewn around the streets in some places where it had once been particularly busy. grass growing through cracks in the sidewalk and so on. but that wouldn't cause a very serious amount of damage to something like a solid Concrete and Steel skyscraper [oh it's gonna be fun nearly launching a Raptor out of the top floor of the Empire State building :twisted: ]...
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Buwx » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Actually, I agree a tad bit with Lolburst... it would be possible for a large carnvivore, such as a Tyrannosaurus, to destroy a small apartment building, or a small store, IF it were to ram into it at full force. The Rex would pretty much make an enterance-way, but it wouldn't wreck the whole structure... it would be possible, but I don't think it would be a smart idea. The impact from ramming into the building, something so strong, would possibly send the dinosaur into a coma, then take into consideration, all the rubble that would be collapsing onto it.

But lets say that two cravnivors were in a brawl... it would be to ones advantage, to ram said opponent, INTO the building, and well... yeah.
Buwx
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Pyronychus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 pm

I forgot to ask before, do you know yet when this is going to be happening?

Member of the Slow Posters Club
Pyronychus
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Pyro: KP has returned to a strict school schedule, and Doc has to leave each day earlier then most of us, so we'd all like to be here when it happens. Probably next weekend, maybe sooner.

Buwx & Lolburst: I know Trex could destroy something like a taco bell. My question is: WHY?! This isn't Godzilla, its about LIVING DINOSAURS. The thing is, NYC was built with steel, not wood. Even a Rex's head would probably fracture on a steel object. Notice, in The Lost World, the Rex only broke into the warehouse, which was made of wood or something like it. It never destroyed any of the strong buildings, even residential homes, which were made of brick.

Its like if its chasing a raptor, the raptor runs into a building, it would be like the same raptor running into a cave on Sorna. I doubt very much the Rex could brake apart the building, risk killing itself in the process, all for a raptor.

Motives, people. Motives.

As for the buildings: The human semi-extinction was brought on by chemical weapons, therefore, WHY would the buildings be destroyed? Sure, they would be in dis-repair as you said, but they wouldn't collapse or anything like that.

Anyway, I DO NOT want someone destroying a building in ISS, just to have everyone and their dog who owns a large carnivore to go on rampages. Like I said, this is about dinosaurs, not Godzilla.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Buwx » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:Buwx & Lolburst: I know Trex could destroy something like a taco bell. My question is: WHY?! This isn't Godzilla, its about LIVING DINOSAURS. The thing is, NYC was built with steel, not wood. Even a Rex's head would probably fracture on a steel object. Notice, in The Lost World, the Rex only broke into the warehouse, which was made of wood or something like it. It never destroyed any of the strong buildings, even residential homes, which were made of brick.

Its like if its chasing a raptor, the raptor runs into a building, it would be like the same raptor running into a cave on Sorna. I doubt very much the Rex could brake apart the building, risk killing itself in the process, all for a raptor.

Motives, people. Motives.

As for the buildings: The human semi-extinction was brought on by chemical weapons, therefore, WHY would the buildings be destroyed? Sure, they would be in dis-repair as you said, but they wouldn't collapse or anything like that.

Anyway, I DO NOT want someone destroying a building in ISS, just to have everyone and their dog who owns a large carnivore to go on rampages. Like I said, this is about dinosaurs, not Godzilla.

Buwx wrote:But lets say that two cravnivors were in a brawl... it would be to ones advantage, to ram said opponent, INTO the building, and well... yeah.

Kindof gave an example of a motive...
Buwx
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby C S » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Im pretty sure th building bashing is non negotiable. And, if one rex bashed another into a building, then BOTH would be showered in debris, and concrete, obviosuly, is HEAVY

anywho....

So NYC is basically a holding pen while Some modern pirates open Prhistoric eBay..

seems logical..
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:31 pm

CS: No, they stop in NYC to resupply and the dinos brake out.

Buwx: If a dinosaur destroys a building, the debris, like CS said, would hurt it, or even KILL it. This is concrete and steel we are talking about.

Sure, there would be SOME situations where a building would get ruined, but its not up for discussion. We won't tolerate people making the RPG into Godzilla E-war.
TyrannoTitan

Postby C S » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:36 pm

ah

cool
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Next

Return to Off-Topic