Eragon, ELdest

Like books? Talk about them here!

Eragon, ELdest

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Two good books. Very well done. I enjoyed them, anyone else read these?
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby DI7789 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm

*warning, my post contains spoilers* I read them, I wasn't extremely fond of them because the characters seemed to branch off of Star Wars characters, there's the farmboy (Luke Skywalker) who is discovered to be the last of the Dragon Riders (Jedi), there's the mentor who dies early on (Ben Kenobi), I'm gonna stop here for the sake of spoilers.

I am not saying they're not good books, just that the idea seems...plagiarised
"Its like I was attacked by some kind of...dinosaur"
-Regina, not realising what this sentence meant for her future

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach!"
"Thank you"
-Catherine Tate and David Tennant Comic Relief 2007
DI7789
Worm
Worm

Postby Iceking » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm

i read the books and i liked them.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Two very good books. The author was FIFTEEN when he wrote Eragon. Can you believe that?
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby o-eternal-o » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I really liked both of the books, but you could tell he was fifteen when he first wrote Eragon. The first few chapters felt a bit uneasy, like he was still developing his writing style. After that, they became more fluent and i enjoyed both of the books thoroughly. Can't wait for the third.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Iceking » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 pm

there's going to be a third? thats very cool.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Doc 42 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 pm

eternal_rocker_chick wrote:I really liked both of the books, but you could tell he was fifteen when he first wrote Eragon. The first few chapters felt a bit uneasy, like he was still developing his writing style. After that, they became more fluent and i enjoyed both of the books thoroughly. Can't wait for the third.

wow. just wow. I have been telling my freind that for ages but he refused to see nothing wrong with it. Finally someone agrees. His writing rytheme in the first book was just all over the place.
Last edited by Doc 42 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:41 pm

@ Doc: That made no sense at all to me.

I can't wait for the third book either. it must be awesome.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Doc 42 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:53 pm

meh dont matter.
I hope they hatch the third egg early on in the book.....
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:16 pm

It'd be cool to see what comes of that.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Doc 42 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 pm

I will get angry if he leaves it too the end of the book, Im dying for a new face to show up
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 am

So am I. And I want to know if Roran rescues Katrina. The sneak peek was interesting.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Doc 42 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:06 am

my copy didnt have the sneak peak :( only the special editions do.(SPOILER well sortve) My geuss is that the evil emperor dude galbatorix, his dragon will revolt against him. beacuse it says in the book that he wasnt his original rider
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby mega raptor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Bad books, both of them. Not only are they Star Wars in Middle Earth, they're full of purple prose (That's descriptions that are long and tedious and only distract from the plot) and all of his characters are badly characterized. For example, all that we know about Eragon after two huge books is that he's brave, faints a lot, has a dragon, and is a farm boy (*CoughLukeSkywalker*Cough).

And, there are inconsitancies that show a lack of planning, too. For example, in the prologue to Eragon, Arya is said to be wearing leather, but in Eldest we learn that elves are vegans. Seems kind of strange for someone who's supposed to be a vegan, doesn't it? And speaking of Arya, if she was powerful enough to transport the egg all the way across Alagaesia, why didn't she just do that in the first place?

Edit: Also, there are Deux Ex Machinas that are everywhere in the Inheritance series. Everywhere, it seems that some twist of fate saves Eragon somehow. For example, the Blood Oath Ceremony in Eldest.
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby o-eternal-o » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:59 pm

wow. just wow. I have been telling my freind that for ages but he refused to see nothing wrong with it. Finally someone agrees. His writing rytheme in the first book was like a 46 year old going clubbing who thought he was still cool..

That's the same as me actually. I said it to my friend who i lent the book off, but she didn't listen. She had that 'How dare you talk down of Eragon!' kind of attitude, so i let it go.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 pm

I liked the second book better than the first. I have no idea why...

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:49 am

Yeah the second book was decent, I visited youtube, and found that everyone is bad mouthing Christiphor Paloni (SP?) CURSE THEM. XD
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Shadow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:29 am

I haven't read them yet but judging by the comments everyone's made it sounds good!
When you want it the most there's no easy way out
When you're ready to go and your heart's left in doubt
Don't give up on your faith
Love comes to those who believe it
And that's the way it is
Shadow
Utahraptor
Utahraptor

Postby Legendary Elite » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:08 am

Yeah and the third book announced recently (there is actually going to be a quadrilogy so meaning another book after the third, and yes Christopher confirmed himself in a video he did himself on the main website go over there and check if you don't believe me) called Brisingr. Looking forward to it!
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Warlock93 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Sorry, but anyone who says the book is BAD because of the Star Wars comparisons and all the other things is an IDIOT. Any similarities are NOT Paolini copying Star Wars or ANYONE. They're called CLICHES. They're in at LEAST 80% of ALL FANTASY NOVELS. So, basically, LIGHTEN UP.

I thought even WITH the cliches, which I picked up as soon as they came, the two books were Very well written. And, come on, he wasn't even 20 when he FINISHED Eldest.
The three will spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.
Warlock93
Mosquito
Mosquito

Next

Return to General Books