The Final Battle

Have you got a game, book or movie you'd like to make a story out of? Want to expand on a story or plot that stopped? Have an original idea for a story that you want to post somewhere? Here's where to do it. Basically an RPG where one player controls ALL characters in the story.

The Final Battle

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:30 am

The pale silvery moonlight shone down on a small clearing, illuminating two small figures that stood facing each other. Neither moved nor said anything--even the forest around them had gone deathly silent. The only sound was that of their breathing. One was breathing calmly, completely ready for this encounter. The other was panting, terrified, having received word of this fight only that morning. His fear-scent was clear in the still night air.

Then, as if one were a reflection of the other, the felines lunged. Claws and teeth flashed in the moonlight. The smaller tom landed a mouse-length from his opponent, and both reared up onto their hind legs and gripped each other’s shoulders. The large dark tabby tom bared his fangs in a snarl as the smaller, pale ginger cat dug his long claws in and held on tight. Gray eyes met icy blue in a blazing glare before both released their hold and backed away.

Not one word was said as the two cats circled each other. The gray-eyed tabby tom lashed out with a front paw to try and unbalance the blue-eyed ginger cat, but his opponent was ready for the strike and dodged nimbly out of the way. They resumed circling, ears flattened, lips drawn back into identical snarls. And still, they were silent. There was no need for words. Both had known that their friendship would eventually come to this; the ginger tom was far too loyal to the other cats in his Tribe to just let the tabby get away unscathed.

As the two cats lunged once more, they were both aware that they had once been thought of as close enough to be brothers. There was no sign of that closeness now as they fought as if they were from rival Tribes. They twisted and turned, biting and clawing, spitting and clawing, locked in a deadly dance with danger.

The turning point of the fight was when one of the ginger tom’s claws ripped through the tabby’s ear and left it badly torn and bleeding. The traitor spat in rage and lashed out with a paw, slicing open his opponent’s nose.

The smell of blood began to fill the clearing. The two toms were both bleeding, the ginger more so than the tabby. Crimson stained his orange coat as he twisted to lick a deep scratch on his shoulder, keeping his ears pricked towards the larger cat in case he attacked.

But the tabby was licking a wound on his foreleg, his smoky gray eyes narrowed. After a moment, he spoke in a deep, rough voice. “I never thought you’d be so difficult to kill, Ice. Clearly the fact that you are a fairly new fighter in the Tribe hasn’t stopped you from learning how to fight our way quickly.”

The smaller cat flattened his ears. “You taught me well, Storm,” he meowed quietly. His blue eyes flashed briefly, showing a flicker of pain. Storm chuckled darkly.

“It would seem I did.”

Then, the tabby lunged, claws unsheathed once more. Ice let out a hiss of shock and pain as a new gash was added to his already wounded shoulder, and jerked away as Storm’s teeth snapped shut where his throat had been moments before.

The ginger tom’s fur bristled and he lashed out with a paw, feeling a surge of satisfaction as his claws ripped through the tabby’s cheek and Storm stumbled from the force of the blow. The traitor’s gray eyes smoldered with rage as he glared at Ice.

“I don’t want to fight you!” the small tom hissed. “Just leave and I won’t have to hurt you any more!”

Storm snarled, “As if I would miss the chance to fight my former trainee.” He leaped once more, and Ice dodged out of the way, his eyes darkening before he turned to bite his former teacher’s shoulder…only to meet the tabby in a head-on collision. Stars danced before his eyes, and he shook his head to get rid of the sudden dizziness that followed the impact.

When his vision cleared, he saw Storm watching him with amusement dancing in his storm-colored eyes. “Feeling dizzy, Ice?” the large dark tabby purred. He lunged without warning, knocking Ice onto his side. “Can you hear Sky Tribe calling to you?”

Ice could, in fact, hear voices, but they were voices of his fellow Water Tribe cats--most likely a patrol searching for him and Storm. The ginger tom could recognize the voices of the leader and second of the Tribe, as well as that of the herb cat. As he tried to get to his paws and yowl for help, Storm knocked him back to the leaf-covered ground.

“Oh, no, Ice…” The traitor let out a purr. “This is a fight between you and me. It has nothing to do with anyone else.”

Ice swallowed hard as a heavy paw was pressed to his throat. He was exhausted, and bleeding, and pinned down with no hope of calling out for help. Not to mention that Storm had proven time and time again that he could easily defend himself against a patrol of enemy cats alone. A small cat like Ice was no match for him.

And yet…there was a tiny glimmer of hope. Storm was so busy talking and keeping Ice pinned that he didn’t realize that he’d left his soft underbelly wide open to attack.

The big tabby cat let out a gasp of pain as Ice kicked him in the stomach, claws unsheathed. The blue-eyed ginger fighter quickly twisted out of Storm’s grasp and sprang to his feet. He was panting now, and he had two choices--to stand his ground and continue the fight, and risk being killed by Storm; or run away, get help from that patrol, and escape with his life.

It would seem, however, that he had to finish what he’d started. With a snarl, he lunged towards Storm and was met with tooth and claw. Startled, Ice found himself locked in a violent tussle with the big tabby. Fangs and claws flashed in the moonlight, which was fading now, replaced by the pale milky light of early dawn. This fight had lasted all night without either tom noticing.

Well, now it was time to end it. As Ice broke away, panting and now sporting a deep cut over his left eye that was steadily trickling blood, he eyed Storm’s wounds. A deep set of three scratches on his cheek that was sending a small river of blood trickling into his neck fur, a shallow cut on his shoulder, and a gash on his stomach that was staining the lighter fur around it crimson.

It wasn’t much damage, but Storm had already lost a lot of blood. Maybe he was beginning to feel the effects…

The dark tabby was panting too. His gray eyes were clouded with pain and anger. There was a question burning in his gaze as well: Why don’t you just die?

Ice clenched his teeth and blinked blood out of his eyes, glaring back. Sooner or later, Storm was going to fall. But…it seemed, not before Ice was.

With a grunt, he felt his forepaws give way and his chest hit the ground. He tried to push himself up, but only succeeded in falling back onto one side, his blood staining the earth red and filling his nostrils with a sickening reek. His breathing came in ragged gasps, and he could only watch as Storm approached him on unsteady paws. “Fool,” the traitor rasped. “If you hadn’t fought against me…you might have lived.”

“Sh…shut up,” Ice hissed weakly. He coughed and tried to get up again, but it was no use. He was simply too weak to stand. “If…if you hadn’t betrayed Water Tribe…it wouldn’t…have come to this.”

He had to keep Storm talking…the longer he talked, the more of a chance the patrol had of finding them before the tabby could get away.

And the more of a chance he had of getting out of this alive.

“I should have been leader instead of Scarletwater,” Storm growled, narrowing his gray eyes. “I’m more experienced than that fleabag and we both know it.”

Ice let out a rasping laugh and swallowed with some difficulty before he spoke. “Just because you think you’re experienced enough to lead…does not make it true,” he mewed. “Scarletwater has the qualities that Skywater, the leader before her, valued most in a fighter. You do not.”

“You talk too much, Ice,” Storm growled. “But don’t worry too much when you join Sky Tribe. When Scarletwater and Stoneice are gone, I will unite both Tribes as Stormsky.”

“Stormsky?” Ice growled. “You’re a fool. You chase foolish dreams and have foolish ideas.”

He pushed himself up with a soft growl and faced Storm. “Your dreams will never happen. Because I will not let you take over the Tribes.”

“And how will you stop me?” Storm sneered. “You can barely stand, Ice, never mind fight me.” To prove his point, he gave the smaller cat a nudge that nearly knocked him over again. The large tabby let out a harsh laugh.

But just then, none other that Scarletwater herself leaped out of the undergrowth and tackled Storm, claws out and fangs exposed in a snarl. Her blood red eyes were blazing with fury. Behind her came the second of Water Tribe, Mud, and behind him was the herb cat, Yellowleaf.

Ice chuckled weakly. “Good timing,” he mewed. He grinned at Mud and Yellowleaf, and fell back onto his side once more with a quiet sigh. “Don’t worry about me…just hurry up and kill Storm…”

He closed his eyes, feeling his wounds still pulsing out blood. Then, everything just drifted away, and when he opened his eyes again, he was in the same clearing; only Scarletwater, Mud, Yellowleaf and Storm were gone. Instead, the beautiful white she-cat with sky-blue eyes named Skywater was standing before him, a gentle smile on her face.

“Well done, Ice,” she meowed softly. “You managed to keep the traitor preoccupied until Scarletwater and the others arrived.”

Ice grinned. “Yeah,” he mewed. “I guess this is it for me, right?”

Her gentle eyes were all the agreement he needed.

“I knew it, really,” he sighed. “I knew I wouldn’t survive the fight with Storm. But at least I was able to help my Tribe get rid of a traitor.”

Skywater chuckled quietly. “Yes,” she meowed. “And Sky Tribe will welcome you. You have done a great thing today, Ice.”

Ice nodded. He got to his paws and followed Skywater deeper into Sky Tribe territory, looking over his shoulder only once. He knew he was leaving everything behind. His family, his friends, his life. But he’d be back, some day.

He was sure of it.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Tediz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm a Dog person honestly... But this is pretty good. I like it :D
Tediz
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks. :)
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Tediz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 am

... Are you going to post anoda' one about teh' Kittys? Cuz I'd read it lol 8)
Tediz
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 pm

I've posted a couple other fanfics here about cats. lol. but I might make a kind of epilogue to this one-shot, showing how the other cats of his Tribe reacted to his death.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Return to Single Writer Fiction