MEMBERSHIP NOTE: ALL USERS PLANNING TO JOIN PLEASE READ...

Things concerning the site.

MEMBERSHIP NOTE: ALL USERS PLANNING TO JOIN PLEASE READ...

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:43 am

Due to the problem of spambots and the failed experiment of allowing users to activate their accounts themselves [the spambots have found a way around it], i have returned the system to Admin activation. now, i would like to give you some suggestions to insure that you aren't confused with a spambot, or accidentally forgotten through the Memberlist checkup:

1) Add as much detail as you can into your profile. make sure it's understandable, and make sure it's not random words [the spambots add random stuff in the details section as well, and just dumping a load of random letters or words that have nothing to do with the bar title, will only increase the chances of being marked a spambot].

2) Try and add a good Signature. quote a favorite movie, person, character, or just add a one liner joke there. anything that will help prove to us that your not a spambot.

3) If your not capable of signing in with your account, contact me or another Administrator via E-Mail immediately.

Thank you for reading,

The Kingpin

as for the Admins and Mods, yes, i know i just broke a rule with the topic title, but i want to make sure that people who visit the site [if im lucky enough to get them to visit this page] spot it and read it BEFORE they join, so that later they don't say [bah. it's a crappy site, and it doesn't work. im leaving], as I've seen with some other accounts, which i am going to delete soon. in this case, due to the important nature of the topic, Topic exempted of the Rule's punishment.
Last edited by The Kingpin on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby o-eternal-o » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 am

Well, isn't it best to tell new users to put absoloutly nothing in their profile, or everything? As all the spam bots i've seen just put one word nonsense in their interests, then they have the website address.
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:53 pm

well, there are spambots that do that, and spambots that completely fill the details. one of the things i've noticed is that 85% of the time, the Occupation and Signature are identical. it's easier for me to tell between Spambots and real members by name, and details. i mean, you wont see a spambot with a name like DinoKing2000 or something like that, right? my point is, the more info the member puts in their profile, the easier it is for me to tell between them and spambots. when going through the memberlist i open up the Admin controls and look at ALL the member's details, to help me figure out which of the 2 the account is. as for those worried about privacy, i have a terrible memory thanks to these damned exams. i'd forget the info i read about 5 mins later :P
Last edited by The Kingpin on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby o-eternal-o » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:09 pm

lol. Fair enough. ^-^
o-eternal-o
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Return to Site Stuff