Extinct animal resurrected through cloning

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Postby Shade » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:36 am

Oh sure, a monster thing like that wandering the oceans, yeah that'd be the coolest thing. :roll:
Sugar. Spice. Everything twice. I'm the left and the right, in a word: Nice.
Shade
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:12 am

I said i wasn't serious...
and I'm sure lots of people would consider i giant or colossal squid a "monster thing" if they actually saw one... they do wander the oceans :P... and how is a saber tooth any better if were talking about realism
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 pm

the Megalodon is measured between 60 and 80 feet, IIRC. not QUITE as big as in the picture. but it's probably unclonable. very hard to find DNA for it, if at all...mostly due to the kind of places it has to be for it to be fossilised...
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Spiketopus ಠ,ಠ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:06 pm

I read that sharks doesn't have skeleton, only their teeth are bones. Their "skeleton" is made with cartilages, and almost the same as our nail's.
Spiketopus ಠ,ಠ
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:13 pm

my point exactly [though cartilage is the same stuff our ears are made of. not our nails. those are made of Keratin]. all we'd have to take DNA from are the teeth, which are exposed to several incredibly powerful influences throughout it's time under the surface. even greater than that Dinosaur bones are exposed to. the chances of getting the DNA from teeth is much slimmer than, for example, getting it from Dino bones...
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Spiketopus ಠ,ಠ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Ah, keratin!
I everytime mixed everything... -x-
Spiketopus ಠ,ಠ
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Giratina93 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:13 pm

If scientists were to go out and clone more ancient extinct animals, then I'd like them to go out and clone the Moa. Moa's are my favortie kind of extinct bird, next to the Terror birds, and it lived up till very recently; in fact, the last known verifyable Moa remains have been dated to the time of the War for Independance. Add on the fact that they were gentle as a lamb, and you have the perfect canidate for cloning.

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Raptor Llama » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Didn't hear about the Ibex's passing. Well that sucks.
Well, they cloned it, so it's all good again! Now they just need to clone a few, breed 'em, and release them back into the wild!
This could be useful for bringing back animals vital to a food chain or ego system. Controlling it, balancing.
But why bring back dinosaurs or mammoth? They serve no purpose in the modern ego system anywhere. It's pointless, other then casual interest. And potentially it could lead to dangerous consequences, not way too dangerous, but a bit. There's no real point in bringing them back, they'd probably just end up in some zoos. As cool as it would be to see them, it would cost tons of money, and it probably wouldn't be worth it in the long run.
Then, there's the problem of bringing them back. How? There's a few unfossilized bones here and there, and some rare tissue, but not enough genetic material to bring them back. The mammoths, however, have whole frozen bodies, so that should be able to be done, but would an elephant be able to give birth to one? How are they going to transport it into the world? That's why scientists want to start out with an elephant mammoth hybrid. Why haven't they? Again, it's not way too practical.
So, they can use this technology for the benefit of our planet, and if someone's got a helluva lot of money they're willing to spend on cloning long extinct animals, let them go for it, but it won't serve beyond casual interest.
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:23 pm

The Kingpin wrote:the Megalodon is measured between 60 and 80 feet, IIRC. not QUITE as big as in the picture. but it's probably unclonable. very hard to find DNA for it, if at all...mostly due to the kind of places it has to be for it to be fossilised...

I think it was bigger... each tooth were bigger than a man's head, and it really did prey on whales, as many as modern sharks eat sorta large fish
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby SuperNerd » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 pm

They should clone Homo Erectius and neatherthals. It would be awsome if they cloned primitive humans.
SuperNerd

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 pm

from what the internet tells me, 60 feet is more or less the maximum size is estimated to reach, based on the most modern size estimation techniques. of course, for all we know, it could've been a really big common ancestor between the sharks and Eels and be up to 150 feet long [ :P ], but based on what we have and what science has given us, it's 60 feet long...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Evil Eye » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:15 am

eh... still, that's a bit more than two standard swimming pools... imagine that coming after you :) and for what you said about unclonablilty, i WASNT SERIOUS :P this is a great breakthrough though... there are lots of things we could make that would be awesome to research, and not to dangerous, all the stuff people mentioned here attest to that
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby Giratina93 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:43 am

I've heard that within 10 years, we'll be having Mammoths running around in zoos... I'm hoping for 5 years... tops.

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:17 am

Resurrecting prehistoric animals will not only eat up lots of food and resources, but it will also ruin the natural balance. A T-rex running around in North america again would put many creatures on the extinction list!!!!

Even if there's only one, an animal that big would need a lot of food to eat......
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Giratina93 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 am

Oh boy...

Why put a T-rex in North America? One would fit in perfectly in the Savannah in Africa. Lots of Elephants in reserves for it to prey on...

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby The Kingpin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:25 am

then it'd drive them to extinction and start preying on people....IF it didn't get shredded by AK-47 and other Automatic weapons fire by the nearest armed conflict...

however, i dont think we're THAT far off from a real T.Rex clone....they've found intact soft tissue, perfectly preserved in a Rex's leg bone. minor decay, but then, when talking about something that's been dead for over 65 million years that's a modern miracle...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrannoTitan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 am

You guys can't be serious...they are not going to release the damn cloned animals into the wild. That's absurd. These are scientists who spent millions of dollars to clone an animal, and are well aware of the ecosystem of the present world. The animals probably can't even survive in our world because of the lower oxygen level. We can't even keep a great white shark alive in captivity, let alone an extinct creature.

If one was to be cloned, it would not be in a zoo, let alone the wild. It would be many years of perfecting the cloning process before these things could be publicly viewed.
TyrannoTitan

Postby UltraGrunt117 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:26 am

I agree with TT :P
"Were It so Easy"- The Arbiter

UltraGrunt117
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Giratina93 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Hmmm.... your right. But let's just suppose that a cloned T-rex was releashed into the Savannah in Africa and could survive the diffrent climate. there's thousands of elephants, dozons of Rhinos, millions of zebra, Wilderbeast, and hundreds of Giraffes for Senor Rexy to eat. It would survive withuot putting a major dent in the population....

Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby The Kingpin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:32 pm

i never said they'd even do it. in fact i have a very strong belief that even if, in the minutely possible situation that they DID manage to get a full T.Rex genome and clone one, they would probably keep it in a large controlled environment, a very sturdy lab with a semi-natural setting with tempreture, humidity and gas percentage regulators to completely control the environment it lives in....

and Gira, you fail to understand what something that size would do to the ecosystem of any continent. it's appetite would guarantee that the Elephants would be extinct in, at most, 10 years of it targetting them as it's staple food [if it's possible]. keep in mind that a Rex can eat about a whole elephant per day on average, so thats 365 adult elephants a year. after that it'd start eating through the Wildebeest population, or try to, but probably starve in the process due to th estimated speed at which it could move not being fast enough...

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic