When will DVD's stop being made.

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

When will DVD's stop being made.

Postby LV-426 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:42 am

With Blue Ray out how long do DVD's have left? I have over 600 DVD's in my collection and it would suck if i would have to replace them all.
Get away from her you *****
Game Over Man, Game Over
Stay Frosty
Were in the pipe five by five
They Mostly Come at Night Mostly

Aliens the most quotable movie Ever
LV-426
Praying Mantis
Praying Mantis

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:45 am

DVD's probably are going to be round for a LONG time... just like there's still the PS2... Still, I forsee the DVD comnig to an end in about 5 or so years, when somethnig comes uot that will completly nullify DVD's and Blu-Ray, and has FAR more options to it that your classical DVD player...

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby C S » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 am

T_T

I havent thought of that notion until now. You always hear "DVD and blu-ray" Sooner or later, someone's gonna go "Hey, isnt it cheaper to release on blu-ray only instead of DVD and Blu-ray!?" and that'll be the end of that

...depressing actually...
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 am

they'll probably stick around for another 5-6 years.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby The Kingpin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41 pm

i'd say 5-6 years at least. though i'm expecting it to go the way of the VHS cassete tape. 10 more years or so...
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Getting in on this one just before it's considered dead :P

I dissagree. DVD's won't be phased out for a LOONG time and definately not because of Blu-Ray.

Blu Ray isn't a big enough improvement.

CD's came out a long time before DVD's, yet they made 0 impact on the VHS market, mainly because of capacity.

In terms of quality and capacity, DVD's combined both and were a vast improvement on VHS.

Blu Ray, while better, isn't as big a revolution as VHS to DVD.

I think DVD's are going to start losing out when things like 3d television start coming in strong. I'm assuming that it will take a much faster read speed and even more capacity to properly handle the new technologies emerging, the DVD killer will be what ever satisfies the needs of these new technologies.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Evil Eye » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

You're forgetting the fact that DVDs arent a COMPLETELY different model/whatever you want to call it from Blu-rays. They are still a disk, like DVDs. I'm sure the two will be compatible on players for a good while.
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby Cpt.Yuke » Tue May 04, 2010 6:16 pm

i'm not sure i really think this depends on how the world comes out of the economic crisis
if we go into like a golden 2015's Bluray or maybe even a new system will completely take over just like in the golden sixties
who would have thought everyone would have a T-Ford well who will expect we will all have bluray players?
i must say bluray Quality on HD TV with HDMI connector is AWESOME

so i can't say for sure but eventually Bluray will take over the MOVIE buisnness but i think DVD will still rule gaming and software
Cpt.Yuke
Tarantula
Tarantula

Return to Off-Topic