Double-clawed Dromaeosaur

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Double-clawed Dromaeosaur

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Dunno how many have heard about his, but apparently a new species of dromaeosaur was discovered in Romania at the end of August. The species has been christened Balaur bondoc, meaning "stocky dragon".

It's got a number of unique features. While it has the signature sickle claw on the second toe, it also has a second on its first toe. Some of the bones in its hands are fused together, limiting its grasping capabilities. And it had shorter, stockier legs than Velociraptor, and several other features that hint it was more adapted for strength than for speed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11137905

Not much info there, but a nice pic of the double claws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balaur_bondoc.jpg

What the animal might have looked like.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby UndeadRaptor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Man, that's cool. Something like that looks like a better killing machine than most raptors...
"What's the plan?!" - random soldier, Mud and Blood 2.

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Maybe so. Personally, I think two sickle claws on each foot might be a little awkward, but hey. If it works...don't mess with success.

The fused hand bones are what interest me. More proof that dinosaurs evolved into birds? Or just an odd twist of fate?
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 pm

Looks like a nightmarish beast to me.....
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Evil Eye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 am

Hopeflower wrote:Maybe so. Personally, I think two sickle claws on each foot might be a little awkward, but hey. If it works...don't mess with success.

The fused hand bones are what interest me. More proof that dinosaurs evolved into birds? Or just an odd twist of fate?

Definitely more proof, along with the mountains of which we've been sitting on.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Return to Off-Topic