Primal Carnage

Video game reviews and discussion.

Primal Carnage

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:28 am

Dinosaurs have been unleashed on an old military controlled island due to an experiment gone awry. A team of mercenaries have been dispatched to contain the threat. Primal Carnage is a multiplayer first person shooter where players must work as a team to complete game mode dependent objectives. In Primal Carnage, you can play as one of two factions: dinosaurs or humans. Both are filled with special unique classes and abilities that complement and contrast each other.

The dinosaurs rely heavily on teamwork and unique activated abilities.

This is the dinosaur tank class. The T-Rex does two things, chomp and stomp. It is the most powerful dinosaur, the T-Rex is fear itself embodied in a massive form.
The T-Rex will plow through any enemy in its way, it will even run down trees as if they were twigs. The T-Rex's massive jaws will tear apart any enemy and send them flying into the air like a ragdoll afterward.
Your only real opponent is the giant on the human side, the Heavy Gunner. Alone he is no match, but with a smart squad he can be the end of the T-Rex's rampage.

This is the dinosaur assault class, its major role on the team is to seek and destroy.
The Raptor is extremely swift and can run circles around the human players. Its agility allows them to dodge weapons fire and close in for the kill with their deadly pounce attack.
The Raptor's nemesis is the Trapper, who can trap you with a net which will render you completely immobile and vulnerable to attack.

The Dilophosaurus' primary function is to provide support to the other dinosaurs. The Dilophosaurus can destroy nets that have captured other dinosaurs. It is also immune to the effects of nets, making the Dilophosaurus an admirable adversary to the Trapper. The Dilophosaurus is also the only dinosaur with a ranged attack.

This is the horde class, you control a single Compsognathus which is followed by a group of 15-20 additional Compys. If your particular Compy is killed, you automatically take control of another one in the group. The Compy minions have their own special behavior system with three settings that you can choose from: Defensive, Passive, and Aggressive.

This is the scout class, the Pteranodon has the best vision out of all the dinosaurs. Combine its superior vision with its ability to fly and you have an amazing asset for the dinosaur team. Once the humans are spotted, the Pteranodon reports their location to the dinosaur team. The Pteranodon can also swoop down and attack the human team from above. The swoop can knock the humans down, leaving them vulnerable to the T-Rex's stomp among other things. The Pteranodon can also pick humans up, flying them away from the group or dropping them to their death.

The mercenaries specialize in working together as a squad and rely heavily on their arsenal and equipment.

The Heavy is a tank, he can take a beating and dish out just as much as he can receive. He is usually on the front line, absorbing most of the dinosaurs' attacks while his team cover him from behind. The Heavy should always have a partner to cover his back due to his slow movement speed. His colossal damage output makes him the team's best chance for surviving a T-Rex attack.

The paleontologist is essentially a sniper with a special ability. Her goal is to immobilize the enemy as fast as possible while maintaining a safe distance. She is a natural partner to the Heavy Gunner as she lacks any close quarters weapons or tactics. After all, close quarters combat wouldn't benefit her research. The Scientist spots a Pteranodonin the distance, soaring high in the skies above, looking for prey. Her rifle is at the ready. The paleontologist's sniper rifle gives her a huge advantage over the other team members since she has the ability to take out distant dinosaurs on the ground, but is also able snipe scouting Pteranodons right out of the air. Quickly, the paleontologist finds the nearest high ground and kneels. Steadying her aim, she sends a single cartridge barrelling towards the Pteranodon at 1500 meters per second.

The Pathfinder is the heart of a squad on the move. His arsenal is best used supporting his team, whether its dropping a flare to distract a T-Rex, healing a wounded teammate, or scouting for approaching dinosaurs with his trusty canine sidekick. He generally has a perk for every situation, his only downfall is his shotgun with limited effectiveness, which still leaves him as an excellent support class.

The Firestarter is a defensive area of effect class who burns everything in his path. He can create walls of fire to prevent dinosaurs from ambushing the mercenaries, and is especially effective at toasting groups of Compys.

The Trapper is crowd control at its best. He can trap dinosaurs with his net gun, and then take them out with his pistols while they are vulnerable. He is also able to take on multiple dinosaurs at once because of his ability to immobilize them. The Trapper generally stays behind the front lines until he traps a dinosaur, at which point he springs into action with his dual pistols or knife.

The Dilophosaurus will be a challenge for any skilled Trapper because it can destroy nets that have captured other dinosaurs, as well as nets around itself. This makes the Dilophosaurus the Trapper's greatest nemesis.

Note: All above information is based off the Unigine version, it is assumed the UDK follows the same premise/classes.

We've been promising you an update for a long time, and here it is! The Primal Carnage team is hard at work and making more progress than we ever have before - and we're really excited with how much closer Primal Carnage is to becoming a reality.

After much consideration, we have decided to use the Unreal Development Kit to finish Primal Carnage - not a decision that was made lightly. But, in the end, the UDK was the clear choice to help us finish this game to the highest quality and deliver it to you; the fans.

The benefits of the UDK are enormous. Obviously, the fact that the engine is built for FPS games is a huge advantage. When you take into account Speedtree integration, XBox and PS3 compatability, strong support, many developers that know it inside-out and great AAA software it's easy to see why the UDK is the perfect choice for Primal Carnage.

Did you say "where's the proof?". Well, that's the reason we had to be so top secret about this - we couldn't show you anything until we're ready to replace ALL our media. That's right, all of what you've seen so far is going in the archive. So, without further ado, here's what you can expect from Primal Carnage!

Source

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0wjS3nvso

Note: All videos/screenshots are of the new UDK version.

Mod DB Page
Official Site

Fanciest game topic yet? I think so. Discuss.
Last edited by TyrannoTitan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:32 am

I want to try this out! Hopefully it comes to console, cuase my PC SUCKS!
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 am

If ya read the news post, it says its coming out for the 360, PS3, and PC...
TyrannoTitan

Postby UndeadRaptor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 am

I'm getting this game the moment it comes out. MAYBE. It looks like some real fun.
"What's the plan?!" - random soldier, Mud and Blood 2.

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:51 am

I dunno, as much as it looks awesome, I've had way too much disappoint in regards to dinosaur games (JURASSIC THE HUNTED D:<).

I'd rather wait for reviews before getting it, when it does come out.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 am

I can live with a dino game. And Jurassic the Hunted wasn't TOO bad. A lotta cheese, though. A lotta cheese. It'll probably be hated like LotR Conquest and I'll be that one guy who likes it........
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby UndeadRaptor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:54 am

Lying reviews are lies. When I gte control of a tyrannosaur, I know I'm gonna be killing A LOT of people...

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:55 am

If you put all your focus on one reviewer, ya, its biased. But I usually look at the general consensus of a game. If most of the reviews are positive, its usually worth looking into.
TyrannoTitan

Postby UndeadRaptor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 am

I hate critics, and reviews. maybe...

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 am

Don't steal my tradmark, man! I question myself! :wink:

Anyways, Rex and Raptor'll be who I'm playing as. Support's not my style. I like me soem melee combat.

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:09 am

Remember, not all the classes have been revealed yet. As you can see in the trailer, Spino is evidently in the game. Whether or not its a playable class, I can't say.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:13 am

True. but as of now, that'll be who I am.

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:20 am

Scratch that last statement. Apparently all the classes HAVE been revealed. I didn't notice it, as it was announced on their forums, rather then ModDB or their official site.

Added the other classes to the original post.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:09 am

Wow. I'm not usually into shooters, but I gotta admit that this game looks kickass. And it's coming out for PC; even better. A controls system that doesn't leave me going "What-the-f*ck...damn, damn, DAMN, how do I shoot again?! Which button is whiiich? D:" :P

And you can play as dinosaurs. Win. :3
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Giratina93 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 pm

This game looks liek it's made of win... can't wait for it to come out...

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Still going with Rex and raptor. :P

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby raptor titanus3 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Tyrannosaurus Titanus wrote:I've had way too much disappoint in regards to dinosaur games (JURASSIC THE HUNTED D:<).

I know that wasn't the greatest game but you have to realise that it's from a company that makes field & Stream Simulators they took elements from that to cheapen the game ( I don't play hunting games but I know that they make John Cabela brand Field & stream games) though that isn't the point, seeing as how I prefer to be on the side that is more at home in it's surrondings and causes terror I think I'm going to be raptor or maybe dilo, hope this comes out soon with a demo otherwise I'm going to take your word on it or rent it for myself before buying or not
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm dissappointed at the move to UDK, and that the Video didn't show any real gameplay/programming advancements, only assets.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Iceking » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm definetly getting this once it comes out. Will probably play as dinosaurs more than humans.
Iceking
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 am

Doc 42 wrote:I'm dissappointed at the move to UDK, and that the Video didn't show any real gameplay/programming advancements, only assets.

They said that they will be releasing a gameplay video soon. They seem to be hinting that the game is in a playable form.
TyrannoTitan

Next

Return to General Games