the big 4 of thrash metal

Like music? Talk about it here!

the big 4 of thrash metal

Postby foxman666 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 pm

i just wanted to know what people think of the big four . Megadeth , SLAYER , Anthrax and Metallica . what one is you favorite and why

mine is megadeth because dave is a great writer and the fact that some o fthe solos he can come up with are well amazing ( dont belive me take a good listen to any thing off " peace sells....but who's buying " )
" Dear God the only thing I ask of you is
to hold her when I'm not around,
when I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
But I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again oh no
Once again " - avenged sevenfold dear god
foxman666
Worm
Worm

Re: the big 4 of thrash metal

Postby Evil Eye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:51 pm

Megadeth, at this point, is probably the worst of them. Terrible live, and United Abominations really was an abomination. Endgame was alright, lot of filler though. The System Has Failed was amazing.
I'd rank them as Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth.
Clarity of thought before rashness of action...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby foxman666 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm

id have to disagree on that i think the worst outta the group is metallica . i have seen megadeth and slayer live together and dave sounded great sure his vocals arnt as good as they used to but lets remember the guy is almost 50 . Megadeths endgame is a great album showing daves ability to work with some new blood in the band ( even if he does that almost every album ) Cris Broderick is a great guitarist and works well with daves style of playing and live its even better to see them live to understand . Slayer is also a great band of the big 4 because of the fact they took what metallica and megadeth laid down and ran with it to a whole new level by adding more darkness to the lryics of the songs and speeding up the tempo even more then early metallica and megadeth's break neck speeds. Anthrax is one of the most under rated thrash metal bands ever i mean they were the first metal band to do a metal and rap type song when they did bring da noise with public enemy and guess what they got hit hard for that but look what came out a few years later NU metal with most of it is **** but there are the few bands in there that arnt half bad . The biggest failures of the big four have to be metallica there older stuff was good dont get me wrong but after they lost cliff burton they should have stopped . Cliff was a major part of the bands early sound with out cliff metallica kinda started to suck they released one good album with out cliff and then boom what do we got now we got the black album that kinda sucks then load and re load the names fit the cds then we got some cover album that was ok then boom st anger the biggest pile of **** to hit the metal markets . so for me the big four should be Megadeth , slayer , anthrax then shittallica i mean metallica
foxman666
Worm
Worm

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:13 pm

foxman666 wrote:id have to disagree on that i think the worst outta the group is metallica . i have seen megadeth and slayer live together and dave sounded great sure his vocals arnt as good as they used to but lets remember the guy is almost 50 . Megadeths endgame is a great album showing daves ability to work with some new blood in the band ( even if he does that almost every album ) Cris Broderick is a great guitarist and works well with daves style of playing and live its even better to see them live to understand . Slayer is also a great band of the big 4 because of the fact they took what metallica and megadeth laid down and ran with it to a whole new level by adding more darkness to the lryics of the songs and speeding up the tempo even more then early metallica and megadeth's break neck speeds.

I have too, saw them with Testament in Cleveland. Dave's vocals were never really anything to crow about, but they've reached far beyond pathetic live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyLBqkmups&#t=3m03s
Seriously, I don't know where he thinks that's even acceptable.
About Megadeth's recent work, System really was their last great album. Hell, even ST. ANGER was better than United Abominations, and that's saying something. Endgame had some alright songs, but a lot of it was boring wankery, throwing in a generic shredding solo every 5 seconds. The inability to make out a single memorable riff on many of the songs, along with Dave's drivel of endless talking and grunting over it, instead of actual singing (see: "This Day We Fight!") kills what could have potentially been a much better album. There were a few highlights though. Dialectic Chaos, 44 Minutes, Headcrusher, and How The Story Ends were all pretty cool. Maybe the title track too. As for Broderick, yes, he's an amzing guitarist (nothing on Marty), but not within Megadeth. Dave watered him down, his solos on Endgame were just tasteless, generic shredding. He has some amazing talent that he's shown in his work outside of Megadeth, but Dave, it seems, killed that.

Anthrax is one of the most under rated thrash metal bands ever i mean they were the first metal band to do a metal and rap type song when they did bring da noise with public enemy and guess what they got hit hard for that but look what came out a few years later NU metal with most of it is **** but there are the few bands in there that arnt half bad . The biggest failures of the big four have to be metallica there older stuff was good dont get me wrong but after they lost cliff burton they should have stopped . Cliff was a major part of the bands early sound with out cliff metallica kinda started to suck they released one good album with out cliff and then boom what do we got now we got the black album that kinda sucks then load and re load the names fit the cds then we got some cover album that was ok then boom st anger the biggest pile of **** to hit the metal markets . so for me the big four should be Megadeth , slayer , anthrax then shittallica i mean metallica

Yes, they are extremely underrated, but nu-metal? Lolz. Sound Of White Noise was far from nu-metal. In fact, it was an amazing heavy/thrash album.
Regarding Metallica, they're certainly far from failures. Their best albums, live and studio, happened after Cliff Burton. Justice, Live Sh*t, and S&M. The change in direction wasn't because Cliff wasn't there, or some crap like that. They consciously chose to create a different style of music, because they felt they couldn't take the thrash style any further, they wouldn't have been able to top Justice, and would have ended up repeating themselves. The Black Album went 15x Platinum, so no, I wouldn't say it sucked in the least. If it sucked, what does that make The Ritual, Countdown To Extinction, Drift, Divine Intervention, and all the rest?
Anyway, Megadeth has consistently put out the worst albums after Rust In Peace, so I'd definitely say they're the worst of the four. That doesn't make em bad, just not as good.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby foxman666 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:31 pm

in regrading my post about anthrax i didn't say they were new metal i say they got hit hard as in alot of fans didnt like the " bring da noise " track that they did with public enemy and the critics said it sucked but that song came out in 1991 and then 7 years later we got that joke known as NU METAL . and i am one of the few metal heads that hates metallica dont get me wrong there first four albums were great i say metallica lost there core elements after they lost cliff burton because if you listen to the music closely you can hear cliffs style off bass playing as a grove and almost melodic form to it ( see : orion , for whom the bell tolls , sanitarium ) as for megadeth i really enjoyed there later cds( except risk but i dont know if you could call that a later album still lol ) also hell i liked united abominations because i thought it was a generaly good album because it was daves return after he had some bad nerve damage to his left hand . Endgame is better then death magnetic because the guitar playing is much better , the writing on most of the songs ( hell ill admit the lyrics to this day we fight are kinda lame :/ ) and well i think dave's voice is better then jame's still to this day . Dave wasnt really known for his vocals megadeth never really had that great of vocals threw out the entire discography . Also am i the only one that has noticed that kirk hammet over uses the wah wah pedal on almost every song off the newer albums ? i mean come on i know as a guitarist that the wah can be used to get tones and sounds that you couldent get with out it but come on listen to the solos manly on the cds like black , load , reload , and death magnetic there is way to much wah if you dont belive me just look up the solos to some songs off thouse cds and you'll see what i mean
foxman666
Worm
Worm

Postby Evil Eye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 am

foxman666 wrote:in regrading my post about anthrax i didn't say they were new metal i say they got hit hard as in alot of fans didnt like the " bring da noise " track that they did with public enemy and the critics said it sucked but that song came out in 1991 and then 7 years later we got that joke known as NU METAL . and i am one of the few metal heads that hates metallica dont get me wrong there first four albums were great i say metallica lost there core elements after they lost cliff burton because if you listen to the music closely you can hear cliffs style off bass playing as a grove and almost melodic form to it ( see : orion , for whom the bell tolls , sanitarium )

Ah ok I misunderstood.
As for Metallica, yes, they changed direction. But out of that, came some amazing albums. Metallica made their stamp on thrash metal, and moved on. They evolved. They didn't want to keep going with thrash after Justice because they didn't want to start repeating themselves, and rehashing their music, not because Cliff wasn't there. In fact, if anything, Load and ReLoad would have happened sooner if Cliff had survived. He was a big fan of all kinds of classical and rock music, and was by far the most open of the four. Hell, he was even versed in classical music, he had studied it and would bring in Mozart and Bach records for the guys to listen to. Metallica still plays all their thrash classics live, and do a damn good job of it.

as for megadeth i really enjoyed there later cds( except risk but i dont know if you could call that a later album still lol ) also hell i liked united abominations because i thought it was a generaly good album because it was daves return after he had some bad nerve damage to his left hand . Endgame is better then death magnetic because the guitar playing is much better , the writing on most of the songs ( hell ill admit the lyrics to this day we fight are kinda lame :/ ) and well i think dave's voice is better then jame's still to this day . Dave wasnt really known for his vocals megadeth never really had that great of vocals threw out the entire discography . Also am i the only one that has noticed that kirk hammet over uses the wah wah pedal on almost every song off the newer albums ? i mean come on i know as a guitarist that the wah can be used to get tones and sounds that you couldent get with out it but come on listen to the solos manly on the cds like black , load , reload , and death magnetic there is way to much wah if you dont belive me just look up the solos to some songs off thouse cds and you'll see what i mean

I did like SOME of Megadeth's later albums, but many of them reeked of horribly boring filler. Countdown To Extinction, for example, had some decent songs, but many of them were crap compared to their thrash years. Now, I'm not one to blatantly hate a band just because they made a change in direction (*cough cough*), but Megadeth, on many (parts) of their hard rock albums, tried and failed.
As for Endgame, yeah sure some of the guitar playing may be technically more skilled, but Dave's inability to write and arrange a decent song out of them voids any of that. The writing certainly isn't better than Death Magnetic's, which at least had identifiable sections and good transitions, and good arrangement in general. Dave's vocals better than James'... I don't even know what to say, but, to each his own I guess. I agree with the last part, Kirk abuses his wah too much. Though The Black Album through Death Magnetic did have some decent solos altogther (first that come to mind are The Unforgiven, The God That Failed, The Outlaw Torn, Devil's Dance, No Leaf Clover, All Nightmare Long)...
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby foxman666 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:21 pm

yes i know megadeth tried and failed many times but they always went back to thras . i own most of there albums and there is also at lest one thrash song on every album even if the rest of the album has some more mello stuff on it but why are we fighting about the whole megadeth metallica thing again this fight has been going on since dave got kicked out so why dont we just let bygones be bygones on thins one what do ya say lets just say that bolth bands are great and have good albums and some bad ones
foxman666
Worm
Worm

Postby Evil Eye » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I don't care if they go back to thrash or not, I just want them to put out good music, which they weren't.
Agreed, Dave and James/Lars have stopped fighting, so fans are the only ones keeping the feuding going.
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby foxman666 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

yeah and to tell the truth it gets a little annyoing when every time you click on a metallica or megadeth video on youtube there is atlest 40 comments saying the other band sucks
foxman666
Worm
Worm

Postby Evil Eye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 am

US Big 4 tour confirmed!
Evil Eye
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

Postby foxman666 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:13 pm

wait what i thought they were only doing the one show in cali that was last ngiht so now there really doing a u.s tour ???!!!!!
foxman666
Worm
Worm