Telltale's Jurassic Park

Video game reviews and discussion.

Telltale's Jurassic Park

Postby TyrannoTitan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Pitting players against the deadliest beasts to ever walk the planet seems like the perfect blueprint for a video game, but since 1993 developers have struggled to capture the magic of Jurassic Park. Though a dozen plus games have carried the series’ iconic logo, their uninspired designs fall in line with a prehistoric Rambo fantasy more than the source material found in the Jurassic Park novels and films.

Dinosaurs are the attraction, but the heart of Jurassic Park is humankind. Our emotions and tendencies shape these stories. The best and worst of humankind are almost always on display, whether that’s someone being brave enough to put their life on the line or ravenous enough to sacrifice others for their own personal gain. These stories are built on deep character development and the hope that viewers and readers are emotionally invested with the human element long before a dinosaur emerges from the brush.

No Jurassic Park video game has explored this element. Perhaps this is why Universal Pictures, the Jurassic Park license holder, hasn’t unleashed its dinosaurs in the video game space since 2003’s Operation Genesis. Enter Telltale Games, a development studio with a reputation of making character driven adventure games. “Universal didn’t want another dinosaur shooting game,” says Joel Dreskin, Telltale’s director of marketing. “That’s something from their side that interested them in Telltale Games as a partner for the property.”

Telltale plans to create an experience identical in tone to the films. To do this, the human element must come through loud and clear. The team has studied the films and hopes to take pages from the Steven Spielberg playbook for both pacing and presentation.

Executive director Kevin Boyle understands the challenge the team has ahead. “As far as pacing goes, there are some things that are useful from the heritage of Telltale, but creating a new experience that pays off on both the slower-paced character building moments and high tension you expect from Jurassic Park is a new direction for Telltale,” he admits. “Story and character are a really important part of it. You are going to feel drama. You are going to feel tension. You’ll feel different kinds of emotions. There’s humor. Light moments. Downtime to get to like the characters. Certainly the wonder and awe of the island, and then everything breaks down to those moments of terror.”

Telltale isn’t just trying to channel the true essence of the license; it is also responsible for adding to the lore. This game is designed as a direct sequel to the first movie, addressing the plot points that weren’t followed through in the first film and never surfaced again in the sequels. For instance, what ever happened to that Barbasol can filled with embroyos that Dennis Nedry lost in the jungle?

Some of the game takes place at the same time as the film, but Boyle says you’ll experience these moments through the eyes of new characters. “We’ll see our characters kind of cobbling together and asking ‘What the hell went down here?’” Boyle says. “We’re going to pursue this MacGuffin to a new conclusion.”

Which begs the question, who are the main characters? You won’t get the chance to wear sunglasses at night with Jeff Goldbum’s character Dr. Ian Malcolm, or have an unintentionally flirtatious conversation between Dr. Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler – although most of these characters are referenced. One character you may recognize is a bit player from the first film named Gerry Harding, the chief veterinarian at Jurassic Park. You’ll also meet his daughter, as well as various people interested in that can of dinosaur embryos. The inhabitants left on Jurassic Park’s Isla Nublar will make themselves known, and odds are some of these people are smugglers and mercenaries.

Applying the Jurassic Park license to the storytelling systems Telltale has created in past games makes sense to a degree, but in our conversations with the team they kept coming back to Quantic Dreams’ Heavy Rain. “While our story is more linear than Heavy Rain, actions the player takes are reflected in the way the story is told,” Boyle says. “The choices the players make result in changes to the details of the story. Players will know we are paying attention to the decisions they make.”

Telltale is also heavily inspired by Heavy Rain’s gameplay mechanics. The team is still figuring out how actions are presented to the player, but Boyle says Telltale is approaching the task with “more focus on cinematic presentation of your interactions.” Expect plenty of investigating and looking around in the slower-paced gameplay sections, but when the tension escalates to life and death scrambling, the gameplay shifts from selecting destinations to immediate response.

It wouldn’t be Jurassic Park without velociraptors, and Telltale says they are huge nuisances. The big bad tyrannosaurus rex is also on the hunting trail. Lead designer Joe Pinney also teases another foe. “There’s a dinosaur beyond the movies – a new threat,” he says with a smile. “You’ll recognize it from its glowing eyes in the brush. It’s a nocturnal dinosaur.”

Like most of Telltale’s recent games, Jurassic Park is designed as a five-part downloadable series. The team plans to release it on PCs, Macs, and consoles.

Telltale hopes that the direction it is taking with this beloved license keeps players engaged with the characters as they are dangling from the maws of dinosaurs. The fourth Jurassic Park film has been spinning its wheels in development hell and if the game hits on all the right notes, it could be the continuation fans have been waiting for.

Source.

Discuss.
TyrannoTitan

Re: Telltale's Jurassic Park

Postby UndeadRaptor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Seems like my type of game right there, though I'm wondering if we'll get the chance to play as any of the dinos in the game itself? Like, see the world through their eyes, how they work and what they usually do off-screen that you just never get to see in the movies themselfs...
"What's the plan?!" - random soldier, Mud and Blood 2.

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 am

I'm going to say "no", because the article talks about the human aspect to Jurassic Park. Its also an adventure game, and they compare it to a game called "Heavy Rain", which means it isn't a shooter/platformer/sim.
TyrannoTitan

Postby UndeadRaptor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 am

Well, it'd still be awesome to see what Jurassic Park looks like from the eyes of the dinosaurs themselfs, anyways. Oh well, it'll still probably be a fun game either way...
"What's the plan?!" - random soldier, Mud and Blood 2.

Slow Posters Club
UndeadRaptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Postby C S » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 am

Go play Operation Genesis then. On the game itself, Im all for it. There hasnt been a modern JP game that lets you see the scale of things like you see in the movie. The only game that I played that accomplished this is TLW, and this game has the added bonus of interaction and such. Being 3D with good graphics are only a plus
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 am

I saw something about this earlier today. Looks like a good game, like Primal Carnage. I'd be more than willing to try it out.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 am

Seems good. I'm not much into games the rely solely on the story (as in, no fancy physics, shooting, weapons, strategy, etc), but I'll give it a try. It could be pretty exciting/
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby raptor titanus3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 am

As much as I like Jurrasic park I have issues with anything horror related, long story short at the end of this game after watching someone else play it I'll still be comatouse
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:57 am

TyrannoTitan

Postby C S » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I am...disappoint

It was good until the T-rex roared. Then Im all "...Wtf was that?"

They couldnt get the actual JP Rex roar?
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Godzilla Forever » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Weird that they chose the generic T-rex roar over the more well known Jurassic Park one.... especially since IT'S A GAME BASED ON JP!

Anyways, it looks pretty good other than that. :P
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

It could be a placeholder, you know.
TyrannoTitan

Postby HorseGal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

This game looks like it could be interesting. I might go and try this out.
"You alone can make my song take flight, help me make the music of the night."-Phantom POTO
"There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star." -Henry Thoreau
HorseGal
Allosaurus
Allosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Ha, I told Don he was wrong when he told me they weren't using raptors...

Anyway yeah. T-rex roar = MAJOR FAIL. I was expecting the trademark JP roar. I literally said "the f*ck was THAT?". Hope they change it when the game's released.

Still excited to see what those eyes are though. Wonder if this new enemy came from the embryos that were lost...
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 pm

My bet is Carnotaurus. Fits the whole "only comes out at night" picture.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 pm

True. Then again there's the sound those things made. Somehow it didnt sound big enough for a Carnotaurus...hmm.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby dinoman666 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 pm

I feel like they were Dilophosaurus. That WAS the Dilo pen, after all...

And yeah, as cool as Dino Crisis' Rex was, that had still better be just a placeholder... D:<
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Hopeflower » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 pm

No, can't be...didn't they say the new enemy wasn't in the books or movies?

I was thinking Liliensternus or Allosaurus earlier, but I dunno.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby raptor titanus3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 pm

It's Trolodon, the only animal apart of the actual book making referance to it. It the approprete size, many believed it's large oval eyes could have the reflective properties like other nocturnal animals of today. It's my guess though your free to your own oppinion obviously.
"We all go about our daily lives, waiting for the next big thing, the next cool trend, even the smallest bits of info on anything happening, but what we're really waiting for... is for something interesting to happen to us, thats what draws us to the rich and famous... we want to be like them... I don't, I'm fine with who I am... and you should be too" - RT3
raptor titanus3
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Postby dinoman666 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:01 am

Well, it could be just about anything I suppose. There's a LOT of dinosaurs that weren't in the books or movies.

Maybe Troodon?
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Next

Return to General Games