Thoughts on "Primeval"

Movie reviews and discussion.

Thoughts on "Primeval"

Postby Galaxia » Sun May 29, 2011 9:10 pm

This topic is for what you,the users of rpgtopia think about the British television series Primeval which is currently in it's fifth series,I'd rather have it that views or series 5 not be talked about until said series ends

The Premise

For those who are not aware(and believe me I'm probably referring to most of you non-Brits)Primeval is a British television series which involves prehistoric creatures(and in other cases creatures from the future)entering the modern world(more specifically London and other areas on the UK)via anomalies,rips in time that look like floating shattered mirrors and it's up to the ARC(Anomaly Research Centre)to contain the anomalies and the creatures they bring forth away from the public eye until the anomalies close(they do that after a while when no one changes the batteries)and or the creatures can be dispatched or chucked back in

Since it would take so long to fit in all the characters I'll just add in the main ones,that are still alive(people die a lot in this series)

The Characters

Connor Temple

The brains of the team Connor makes all the gadgets and helps uncover the truth behind the anomalies,a man who loves conspiracy theories and a bit of a wimp Connor also invented a machine that "locks down" anomalies until they close

Abby Maitland

A zoologist who's in charge of the creatures that couldn't be brought back Abby is a reptile expert and used to work in a reptile house prior to series 1,she's also pretty handy out in the field

Capt Becker

Becker was hired to help protect the team from dangerous creatures,he's your stereotypical soldier at heart who's more into shooting the creatures than trying to bring them back to their own time

Matt Anderson

Matt is the most recent member of the team and until only recently had origins shrouded in mystery,as it turns out he's from the future,a future I wouldn't want to spend my weekend in

I'll say this about where Matt lives,it looked better on the brochure

The Creatures

While there are too many creatures for me to fit in I'll show some of my favorites here

Worms

Supposedly form the Proterozoic the worms are the most ancient creatures encountered in the series and require a constant stream of their ancient atmosphere to survive,it being so radically different that oxygen in modern day amounts are deadly to them.Despite this need of the fog these worms are far from helpless and killed many people in the skyscraper they appeared in before being stopped

Gorgonopsid

The first creature ever encountered by the team and had been terrorizing the area near the Forest of Dean for eight years,the very same animal ended up saving the team from a deadly creature in the 1st series finale

Future predator

First appearing in the last episode of series 1 the future predator was a creatures described as "having an almost supernatural ability to stalk it's prey" it had been killing some of the animals in a local zoo(most notably the lions)and dragging their corpses back to it's lair,when the team investigated this and finally found the creatures lair it slaughtered most of the soldiers brought along with ruthless efficiency and was only killed when smashed glass from a greenhouse fell on it messing with it's sonar and leaving it vulnerable.This was no the end however and it was revealed a second predator still lived,after chasing the team into the permian and killing one of them but was interrupted by the gorgonopsid from the first episode,the two creatures fought but in the end the gorgonopsid proved victorious and carried the dead predator off to consume

Dromaeosaurus

One of the most commonly seen creatures in the series,while their exact species is never talked about the are presumably deinonychus also they are the most aggressive in the series,repeatedly snapping at and attacking other creatures that the come across as well as unintentionally saving humanity(it's a long story)

You can talk about you opinion of primeval and hopefully I've inspired people to check out the series for themselves
Last edited by Galaxia on Mon May 30, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Thoughts on "Primeval"

Postby TyrannosaurusRules! » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 am

Love the show one of the greatest series on BBC ( next to being human of course :P). Still an excellent series!! :D
Sand Claw
Gustav
Dire Howl
DRACUL DRAGO
TyrannosaurusRules!
House fly
House fly

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon May 30, 2011 12:42 am

This was a pretty awesome show from what I rmember. Didn't watch it much, but when I did, it didn't disappoint. Though there was one episode about a prehistoric bird flu born from Dodos that was kidna weird...
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannosaurusRules! » Mon May 30, 2011 12:46 am

Godzilla Forever wrote:This was a pretty awesome show from what I rmember. Didn't watch it much, but when I did, it didn't disappoint. Though there was one episode about a prehistoric bird flu born from Dodos that was kidna weird...

ya G4E i totally agree that episode was pretty weird. But i love the fight between the Gorgonopsid and Future predator just so awesome!
Sand Claw
Gustav
Dire Howl
DRACUL DRAGO
TyrannosaurusRules!
House fly
House fly

Postby Hopeflower » Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 am

I tried to get into this series, but it never really captured my interest in the way that, say, the "Walking With..." series did. I guess when it comes to prehistoric animals, the more serious documentary-type specials are what really grab me.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am

@Tyrannosaurus:This series never had anything to do with the BBC until series 4 and even then it still aired on ITV,but your probably referring to BBC America I'm talking about the original British run

@G4E:I hate to be the bringer of bad news but it was no bird flu that the dodos were carrying,it was a parasite,this one to be exact

Heres a link to the info if you still don't believe me

http://primeval.wikia.com/wiki/Parasite

I also agree HF,documentaries on prehistoric life of any kind always catches my attention especially if the BBC had something to do with it,I own the complete walking with trilogy just to show how nerdy I am
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Return to General Movies