E-War Requests

Combat oriented RPGs. Less story, more action.

Re: E-War Requests

Postby Galaxia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I myself considered an steam punk rpg once,but found that it would be too close to the fantasy rpg(with differences aside the premise would have been basically the same)so discarded the thought soon after
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Murloc Tyrannus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:46 pm

We could perhaps bring the Monster Hunter E-war back?
"Side effects may include nausea, headaches, and DEATH." ~Valentine

"When you gotta go you gotta go." ~Ian Malcolm

Murloc Tyrannus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby slashmaster101 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 am

That is a great idea Murloc. Can we?
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Doc 42 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:30 pm

I believe we could, provided we are convinced of it's potential. Pitch it to me.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby slashmaster101 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Alright, so we set it up like Zephyr did and maybe go from there (sorry I'm not the best at being up front like this)
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Murloc Tyrannus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:23 pm

We could also have people able to create their own monsters in case they don't want to play as one of the originals. (Of course, the rules of powerplaying still apply.)

Hunter characters should be able to start in one of the following villages/towns:

Kokoto (MH/MHF/MHG)

Jumbo (MH2)

Dondruma (MH2 online/MH Frontier)

Pokke (MHF2/MHFU)

Moga (MH3/MH3G)

Loc Lac (MH3 online)

Yukumo (MHP3rd)

And the profiles should be the same as the last E-war (Hunters having to be at least 18, etc)
"Side effects may include nausea, headaches, and DEATH." ~Valentine

"When you gotta go you gotta go." ~Ian Malcolm

Murloc Tyrannus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby slashmaster101 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm

That could work except maybe the make your own monster because then we could have three new species of elder dragon pop up and new monsters keep getting added anyway by capcom so.... i don't know it could just be me but i don't see that working out very well
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 am

Zephyr's e-war always had problems with people becoming disinterested, what makes you think this will be any different, not to mention, only two people have actually expressed interest in an MH e-war returning.

There is definitely room for a dragon smashing e-war or even a dragon go burny everything e-war but I don't think this is the right format for it. There just isn't that much room to explore. Monster characters don't really have much to do other than wreck random stuff, eat things and fight things. Hunter characters have more room for interaction, but any attempt to explore a hunter's personal life in detail undermines the intensity of the combat, as player characters gain plot armor.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby slashmaster101 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:50 am

Maybe it could be turned into a hunter's e-war where you could be a monster hunter but only be a hunter and if that's all that a monster profile can really do then why is ISS any different
slashmaster101
Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee

Postby C S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:07 am

MHEW died where ISS persisted

that said, there is no need for an MHEW, just play the game. If you must have a text based hunting experience take it to FRPG
C S
Bae Fish
Bae Fish

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Because the dinos in ISS have room for personality and development. They form alliances, they form families, they argue about pointless crap and plot against one another. It all stems from ISS's theme of life finding a way. You've got a load of artificially created dinosaurs crammed onto this one island trying to survive. An eco system like ISS's would never have developed naturally, there's dinosaurs there who lived millions of years apart in reality, there's a lot more room for drama than there would be in a simple "Animals in the wild" rpg.

In Monster hunter the monsters exist solely to be killed by hunters. That's about it. They live to wreck stuff, the monster hunters live to protect stuff. Works fine in a game, but doesn't translate to an rpg very well. I'm using the term RPG very deliberately here, even though this is an e-war suggestion thread, because the suggestion doesn't collaborate at all with what e-wars are meant to accommodate.

Generally, in an RPG, the goal is to explore the life of something. After that has been established to a degree, the various stories of characters begin to intersect and the drama and action begins.

In an E-war, it starts with interaction between characters almost immediately. More often than not, in the form of punching each other in the face. Story and 'life' tends to form later, based on the action that has taken place.

It's a subtle difference, RPGs start with story, which then leads into action, where as E-wars start with action which creates story.

If you look at ISS/FRPG, you'll see that almost all 'successful' characters start out exploring their own story and situation before interacting with others.

If you look at GEW, people start fighting almost right off the bat, and then begin to form allegiances and rivalries.

Your suggested MhEw doesn't fit into either of these. There isn't enough room for development to make it into an RPG and the combat is too shaky to make an e-war out of it.

By shaky, I mean you've got giant dragons versus giant swords. It's a one hit kill cluster f**k of frustration and arguments.

This is by no means final, as I said, if you can convince me otherwise, by all means do.

In the end of the day, rpg's and e-war's aren't about "hey this would be cool" but rather "this sounds like fun" Many good ideas fall flat simply because they aren't fun.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Kiryu Gwangi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 am

Don't know if this is allowed, but I would like an Alien vs Predator E-War.
Discord is best non-pony.

Check out my group:
http://dragonsandchimeras.deviantart.com/
Kiryu Gwangi
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Godzilla Forever » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 am

We used to have one, but it got inactive. Aliens and Predators can be made in the Space E-war. It's been asked before, and it probably won't ever come back.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrannoTitan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 am

Kiryu Gwangi wrote:Don't know if this is allowed, but I would like an Alien vs Predator E-War.

We've been over this, actually. RPGs/Ewars based on one series generally do not do well, especially something as rigid as AVP.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Kiryu Gwangi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:55 am

Well, in that case, I was hoping to have a Skyrim/Godzilla crossover E-War, if this is okay. Yeah, still not used to the RPG deal.

Check out my group:
Kiryu Gwangi
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Giratina93 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:59 am

FRPG still fits that. Sure, you can't use Godzilla or any lisenced monsters... but otherwise, it still works out...

All hail the glory that is Tenshi, the Sunkern!
Giratina93
Psuedo-Wyvern
Psuedo-Wyvern

Postby Kiryu Gwangi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:59 am

Giratina93 wrote:FRPG still fits that. Sure, you can't use Godzilla or any lisenced monsters... but otherwise, it still works out...

So, I can use the characters I put in the FRPG sign-up at anytime I want? Cause I'm having trouble keeping up with how this RPG works.

Check out my group:
Kiryu Gwangi
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 am

When you place a character in a thread, they work only in the RPG stated in the title. To play in another RPG, you make a profile in the alotted profile thread there.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby InfernalAngel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 am

Modern Combat?
"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

"They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace."
InfernalAngel
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Postby The Kingpin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 am

We need a bit more context than that, IA. Could you be more specific? Describe what you have in mind? How to make it interesting and attractive to participants?
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to E-wars