Alice: Madness Returns

Video game reviews and discussion.

Alice: Madness Returns

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHff1o6 ... re=related

This is a game, only released earlier this month, that thoroughly surprised me. At first I wasn't even interested in it, but seeing it advertised quite a bit, figured I'd give it a chance and look at some gameplay. I'm currently watching the playthrough I linked above, and I am liking what I see even though the playthrough isn't yet completed. the opening cutscene was what really attracted my interest, and now I'm hooked and definitely considering getting the game.

Apparently this is a sequel to a game released back in 2000, titled American McGee's Alice. Both games are spin-offs of the story Alice in Wonderland - and actually, American McGee's Alice is supposed to take place right after Through The Looking-Glass. But these are by no means cutesy Disney safe-for-kids games. They're set in a twisted, alternate Wonderland that is really quite....interesting. To put it mildly.

Alice is no longer the innocent, blonde-haired blue eyed child we know. She has become a character with a darker background that explains just WHY the Wonderland has become so twisted and warped - which makes the game's story even more interesting.

If you like third-person action/horror games then you'll probably like this game. The enemies I've seen are both grotesque and pretty well-thought-out. The animation is well done, and the graphics are, in my opinion, excellent. What makes it even better for me personally is the Cheshire Cat is voiced by Roger L Jackson. (Phenomenal voice actor.)

But don't just take my word on things. XP Give it a look yourselves.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Re: Alice: Madness Returns

Postby TyrannoTitan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 am

Saw an LP of American McGee's Alice. Was quite good, it was creepy in a very subtle way, and in some cases very obvious ways.

Also the soundtrack for the game was amazing. Hopefully the sequel is just as good.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 am

Mm, I'm watching American McGee's Alice right now. I agree, creepy but not overly so. The music sets the mood nicely too. :3
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 pm

I've never played but I've heard good things about the game
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm

As have I. American Mcgee's Alice recieved very good reviews - hopefully Madness Returns will too.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Game Informer gave it a 6.75. But we shall see if that is only because of their bias (they seem to beat down lots of games for stupid reasons).
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah - I think they were one of few who didn't rate the game very high.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Well stuff them,I've checked it out and I for one love the pretty dark take it has on wonderland
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Got the game today. 8DDDD

unfortunately our computer is still broke'd. :<

once it's fixed though, I'll be playing the sh*t out of it. XP

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Dinonerd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:00 pm

A very good game, quite refreshing. I found the controls to be a bit iffy, probably because I'm palying on a PC and it's designed with consoles in mind. I don't think it was quite as goot as the first but still a very good game.
RIP Steve

RIP Zyzz
Dinonerd
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby HorseGal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

This game has been on my radar for a few months now. I am pining to get it sometime this month with my next paycheck. I saw a friend play it, and some clips of the game on youtube. I like the look, and the story of it! It's twisted, yet engaging at the same time.
"You alone can make my song take flight, help me make the music of the night."-Phantom POTO
"There is more day to dawn. The sun is but a morning star." -Henry Thoreau
HorseGal
Allosaurus
Allosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 am

Don't know why I haven't commented in here yet, but for anyone with any doubts about this game, toss them out the window. The game is BRILLIANT. Excellent story telling, brilliant conceptualising, playing style. all of it. it's just fantastic. A beautiful piece of interactive art, that's the only way I can describe it.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Hopeflower » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

It's like playing a game inside an amazing painting. :3

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 am

I see wat u did there....=w=
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to General Games