My art thread YO!

Enjoy drawing? Sculpting? Other types of art? Here's a place for it!

Re: My art thread YO!

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Galaxia wrote:Speaking of dragons have you ever considered doing the prehistoric dragon from Animals Planet's Dragons? You won't need much of a search to find it,why it's even an rpgtopia rank

My friends adopted that thing as his mascot and won't stop harassing me about it. I think its just a matter of time before I sculpt one. :P
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Is that a yes then? :D
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:46 pm

It's a "we'll see" :P

to liven things up a bit here's an update.
Its got a tongue now. :P
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Always good to hear :P,wow the picture just loaded,amazing and you made a good improvement on the bottom jaw
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Looks even more awesome! The detail on the face is amazing.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Galaxia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm

The rows of teeth were also a nice touch
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Kickas* detail TTR. ^__^ I like a lot
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Galaxia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Anything else major you'll need to add to it? Or is it done and this is you moving on to something new?
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrantTR » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Well I've yet to color it I suppose. I've run into a bit of a creative dead end.

Here it is shaded a bit nicer, and if you look you'll see plates with spikes coming out of em at the top, which looks pretty sweet.
From here Ill finish up the neck details or either color it in, or try giving it a body arms and legs, which was the original intent.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Amazing neck texture and detail for the dragon
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Hm
Very cool. Working on a CG project?

And, is the detail normal mapped or is that just mesh?

If so, I'm almost scared to ask what the poly count is. xD
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Workin on a game. :P Unfortunately these dragons aren't a part of it, there just practice. Might be able to sell em if I actually complete one as a model.

Most of the pictures I'm showing are from Zbrush which can deal with hundreds of millions of polys. Its just that bad ***. :P I think this model is around 11 million polys, not sure, depending on your computer you can work with over twice that.

EDIT: figure while I'm on the subject I can show y'all some stuff for my game.

Trex, couple months old and already outdated. :P methinks I'll have to modify it some just so it remains up to par.

And here is a shot of it in-engine. Not to impressive the 3D shaders need some work.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Yeah I'm sure Zbrush can handle all the polys in the world but good luck getting it in game on anything less than a NASA super computer :P

Or are you going to bake Normal maps from these models?

Cool looking T-rex. If you have it skinned and rigged it would be cool to see it in an action pose.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Godzilla Forever » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 am

I call him Awesomesaurus Rex. :P

Well done!
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:31 am

Mr. Crow wrote:Yeah I'm sure Zbrush can handle all the polys in the world but good luck getting it in game on anything less than a NASA super computer :P

Or are you going to bake Normal maps from these models?

Cool looking T-rex. If you have it skinned and rigged it would be cool to see it in an action pose.

Yeah Zbrush can bake normals for a low poly mesh, but I use a program called xnormal because it is just a bit better when it comes to that sort of thing. The second picture is actually the low poly model in-engine, with normal and diffuse maps applied.

You seem fairly educated on the subject, taken any swings at game art/development?
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:06 pm

A bit. I make units for Warcraft 3. I got back into it after my exams finished a week or so ago and have been brining my old WIPs up to scratch.

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely terrible with diffuse and am not willing to fork out and buy a tablet, so that isn't likely to change. I have some experience with UV mapping, but it's limited. Without proper textures I'm not really motivated to mess around with it much.

I have never tried making a proper high poly mesh, simply because I don't know how to make (don't have the tools to make) a Normal map out of it.

It's all for my own personal use, so as you can imagine, corners cut all over the place.

While I'd love to get into a highly detailed project like your T-rex, I just don't have the skill or experience.

zBrush is different to most modelling programs isn't it? I remember seeing a video of it ages back and it looked almost like sculpting with clay.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Mr. Crow wrote:zBrush is different to most modelling programs isn't it? I remember seeing a video of it ages back and it looked almost like sculpting with clay.

Pretty much so, Zbrush is more about form then proper topology. You can make basic forms and then elaborate with the sculpting tools, then make a low poly base mesh out of the high poly mesh. It's very useful because you can care about looks more then the technical side of modeling, until later in development of course.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:04 pm

hey dude. just a little heads up. Rex's hands are wonky. need to be facing inwards [palms towards eachother, not towards the ground]. aside from that, you know my opinion on the model :P
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby TyrantTR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Ah our game is constantly evolving, I s'pose we could be considered to be in pre-production again. Here's some concept art I cooked up, still a WIP you can kinda tell its only half finished. Its almost a speculative evolution sorta thing. We designed this sucker from the ground up, we revamped your basic rexe's skull and modified it for some more crushing jaw power. Added a layer of muscles to it, and now I'm designing the actual look of the beast. Its a fun way to go about it, very involved.

I'd like to do more of this sort of stuff, would be far better then opening Zbrush and winging it like I usually do.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Excellent,I was hoping for more art from you TR,and this one seems to definitely have made
it worth the wait.Can't wait for more on your game
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to General Art