Telltale's Jurassic Park

Video game reviews and discussion.

Re: Telltale's Jurassic Park

Postby Godzilla Forever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

So do you think it'll be like a silent hill game, in that how you have weapons, but you probably won't use them too often?
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Galaxia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 pm

From what I understand it's really about mashing buttons during any action aside form that it's all point and click I think
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:31 am

Checked up on it. Apparently the demo was available for a day and then was taken down.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 am

Well THERE'S your problem.

@ Galaxia: Hmph.... might be not as interesting as I thought then.
"If none can know what lies ahead, then losing one's way is just human nature."~ Yoshimitsu

"Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade, and use it to blot out the light forever!" ~ Ganondorf
Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 am

Point and click? I hope to god not. I mean, I like point-and-click adventures well enough. But if this game is just one with button mashing thrown in, I might just cry.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby TyrannoTitan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 am

They compared it to Heavy Rain, which is more about quick time events and movement with the analog sticks (As it was on the PS3). Even though the PC, obviously, doesn't have analog sticks, it means its most likely not a point and click style game.
TyrannoTitan

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 am

I don't want to play what would essentially equate to a big long interactive cutscene. Which is why I'll never play Heavy Rain.

ANYWAYS, I'm hoping for a game that is scary, but not so much it loses it JP influence (yeah, the book had horror elements, but it was more of an adventure book).

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby TyrantTR » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:08 am

As TT said its developed to be a lot like Heavy Rain, a formula I worry just won't work for a Jurassic Park game. If you don't want a game that's essentially a long interactive cut-scene then I wouldn't buy this game, because that's essentially what it'll be. Other game's by Telltale are much the same, I appreciate the talent and effort put into this game but the ideas behind it aren't what I would call a great or necessary solution.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Galaxia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah the whole point and click thing isn't really what most of us was hoping for.Something more action oriented,sort of like trespasser only better
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby TyrantTR » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Meh, its obvious it'll have action. I'll probably still get it for the sole reason there isn't to many dinosaur games on the market. What bothers me is the obvious line between success and failure. Everything is so linear that there is no real way to improvise or adapt to things the dinosaurs are doing, it lays everything out for you in a defined path that can only really go one way. Heavy Rain at least prided itself with having the story take entirely different paths multiple characters, playable characters, could and would die depending on your actions and you could still catch the killer. That is what worked for it. This has it in such a way that you have to start over should you be killed.

If I ever wanted to see another Jurassic Park game I'd like to see one more like Trespasser, or the game that Trespasser was ment to be if it weren't for time constraints and technology holding it back. But that discussion is for another place and time methinks. We'll see how this game turns out it could prove me wrong. But at this point I doubt it.
Well James Bond Chinchilla and Monsta Pacman gets old after a year or so of absence. >_> Methinks I'll leave this blank until I come up with something to put here.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Monster of Aramberri » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah this game doesnt look like it will have any real fun involved though the plot might be interesting, I'm just going to watch a blind walkthrough of it when it comes out so I get to see the story since thats all the game really seems to have going for it.
Monster of Aramberri
Worm
Worm

Postby Galaxia » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 pm

Sigh what I wouldn't give for this to live up to expectations....
Galaxia
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Am I the only person here who remembers the greatness of the old Lucas Arts adventure games? Monkey Island?

Adventure games have potential people. I wouldn't write it off just because it doesn't involve pointing guns at things and occasionally shooting.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Trophy art by CompyScavanger
Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:25 am

Mr. Crow wrote:Am I the only person here who remembers the greatness of the old Lucas Arts adventure games? Monkey Island?

Adventure games have potential people. I wouldn't write it off just because it doesn't involve pointing guns at things and occasionally shooting.

That was never the problem. I was relieved when they said that this wasn't going to be another dino shoot em up. And there are a lot of things I love about the direction the game is going. But several things cripple it for me. The telltale formula has worked on multiple occasions, Back to the Future was where it was used last, and it was well recieved, but now there trekking into dangerous turf, with this, and with the Walking Dead game they're making.

Both Walking Dead and Jurassic Park are very involved action packed franchises. Back to the Future had some action scenes but nothing ever as grand in scale and scope as JP and WD. My problem is not the direction of the game, my problem is the execution and purposed solution to the problems of the older games. I like the set up, I like the idea they pitched (I never would have figured they'd start directly after the first movie.) But the story of Monkey Island and Back to the Future is a very different kind of story compared to Jurassic Park, and as much as I'd like to hope it'll work, I REALLY doubt it.

I've been wrong before I s'pose. I didn't think Rockstar's open world formula would work in a western setting, but they proved me wrong with Red Dead Redemption. I sincerely hope this game is amazing in the end, but I'll reserve my right to be skeptical.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm

We've got a release date. November 15th. Fingers crossed, let's hope it doesn't get pushed back again.

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby dinoman666 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Same day as Halo: Anniversary. Perfect, now I have TWO low-price 360 games to buy! >.<
"Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic."
-Megatron
dinoman666
Wyvern
Wyvern

Postby Doc 42 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

TyrantTR wrote:That was never the problem. I was relieved when they said that this wasn't going to be another dino shoot em up. And there are a lot of things I love about the direction the game is going. But several things cripple it for me. The telltale formula has worked on multiple occasions, Back to the Future was where it was used last, and it was well recieved, but now there trekking into dangerous turf, with this, and with the Walking Dead game they're making.

Both Walking Dead and Jurassic Park are very involved action packed franchises. Back to the Future had some action scenes but nothing ever as grand in scale and scope as JP and WD. My problem is not the direction of the game, my problem is the execution and purposed solution to the problems of the older games. I like the set up, I like the idea they pitched (I never would have figured they'd start directly after the first movie.) But the story of Monkey Island and Back to the Future is a very different kind of story compared to Jurassic Park, and as much as I'd like to hope it'll work, I REALLY doubt it.

I've been wrong before I s'pose. I didn't think Rockstar's open world formula would work in a western setting, but they proved me wrong with Red Dead Redemption. I sincerely hope this game is amazing in the end, but I'll reserve my right to be skeptical.

But was the Jurassic Park franchise very action orientated? Sure, the games have been, but lets be honest, Jurassic Park games end up being mediocre more often than not. The movies however, were much more about survival and adventure.

At no point was it "ok, we have to kill the T-rex to win" it was "We have to get to this building to try turn the power back on. We have to send someone off to this place to do X Y Z manually" etc
Its DRENCHED in adventure game stuff. all of those things, using the computers, finding your way through the jungle, turning the power on, its all puzzle stuff.

Even when they did 'fight' the dinosaurs. In the first movie, with the raptors. they couldnt fight them, they're only hope was running/ hiding. Many adventure games had moments where someone was pursing you, and your only defence was avoiding them, or you'd be killed. in the game, you could be forced to try avoid the raptors until you could lure them into the T-rex. Ie: what happened in the movie.

In the Lost World, the T-rex is eventually captured by taking the hatchling back to the ship and placing it inside the cage thing, allowing them to trap it.

Jurassic Park has two logical game genres, Adventure and Park building. quite frankly, it doesn't translate into action very well at all. In Playing from a human's perspective, its impossible to find the balance between dangerous and pathetic dinosaurs and playing from the dino's perspective just isn't popular enough for modern tastes (apparently, I'd love a game like that.)
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby TyrantTR » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:53 am

When did I ever say action entailed killing the actual dinosaurs? Hell action could be just straight up running from them, avoiding them ect. A part of me despises point and click adventure titles because you have just as much input as the developer allows, which REALLY isn't much. Survival, you're right, is a key component in Jurassic Park. But survival is about improvising and wit, its about coming to creative solutions to solve problems. Tell me WHERE is the sense in survival when everything will be spelled out blatantly for you.

My point was never that, we should be able to shoot dinosaurs, or that the game isn't going in the right direction. I stated multiple times last post that I thought the basic idea was something the game franchise should step towards. What I did say is that a point and click adventure is IMO up there with one of the worst ways of executing something like a Jurassic Park Game.
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby Godzilla Forever » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

Hell, running from monsters/ dinos can be pretty intense and fun in and of itself! The problem lies in the fact that you can't do what you want, you're forced onto a linear path with little to no deviations from it. THAT is why I don't like point and click stuff- too little variety!

Godzilla Forever
Leviathan
Leviathan

Postby Doc 42 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Hmph. I don't agree that point n click isn't suitable. Point and click adventure games have made fun survival sequences in the past. I don't really understand your that in point and click your input is severely limited. Maybe it's because of my lack of familiarity with Telltale themselves. Who said everything was going to be spelled out blatantly for you? In an adventure game your given a situation, you use improvising and wit to work out your choices, then you use logic and reasoning to pick the best one. Where does survival come in? if you pick the wrong choice you can end up in an even worse position than you started off in. You could even be killed outright for a particularly stupid mistake.

The one game I've ever played which comes close to what you even described was Trilby's notes, a freeware adventure game where you had to type in commands (old school)

It was a horror game, and pretty damn scary. At one point I suddenly found one of my friends possessed and warped into the antagonist. They had already knocked me to the ground and I had a space of about 3 seconds in which to act before it executed me. I frantically typed in the first command which came to my head (something along the lines of "KICK THE F***ER IN THE FACE") and it worked.

On the contrary, other more mainstream survival horrors that I've played (Resident evil, JP: Trespasser) came down to just running away from everything slower than you and shooting everything faster than you.
"**** off TT"-Doc 42

Slow Posters Club
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Games