Review the last book you read

Like books? Talk about them here!

Review the last book you read

Postby Hopeflower » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 am

Since the last topic in here is dead, cold, and six feet under, I figure it's time for something new to talk about. :U The movies section has one of these, so why not review and recommend some books?

Let's see...

The last book I finished was Jaws, by the incredibly descriptive Peter Benchley.

I'm sure the majority of us are familiar with the story through the movie, but the book definitely takes things in a more graphic direction from the word "go". Within the first twenty pages, we have our first kill, and it's definitely more bloody than the version we were presented with on the big screen. If that turns your stomach (I'm not sure why it would if you were a fan of the movie, but some people are weird about blood like that), this book is not for you, because the gory body count only mounts from there.

Along the way, as the human characters (Brody, Hooper, and Quint, among others) struggle to keep any more people from dying at the risk of an economic crisis in their town, Benchley weaves in a forbidden fruit sort of romance, which helps along the development of some of the characters, but if you're only reading for the giant shark, it might drag the story out for you.

Of course, all of this builds up to the climax in which Brody, Hooper and Quint attempt to kill the shark - which is significantly different than the movie. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book.

All in all, it's a book that I really enjoyed and recommend you pick up a copy if you don't have one, but as with all things, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't say it's for younger eyes, especially with some of the more adult themes.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Return to General Books