Introductions

Got something to say that isn't fitting anywhere else? Post it here!

Re: Introductions

Postby The Kingpin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:29 pm

the Superhero RPG's been dead for a while because it simply falls on its face unless there is a large community to support it's activity. the same two or three players or characters can't go back and forth constantly unless they have a very high rate of character creation and don't mind losing characters [because unlike your standard comic books and cartoons, death isn't exactly a no-go-zone in our RPGs, and it's not uncommon to run into situations where not dying wouldn't make sense, if you're not careful :P].

As for the Temporal Rift RPG, it's up for revival, but as of late there's just been too few players willing to jump in. CS and myself are the regular players there, but that's about it unless you want to add to it [possibly with multiple characters if you want to have a steady flow of activity]
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Lucianchildofthemoon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Hey everyone I'm new to rpgtopia and I can tell already it's going to be as fun time! If anyone is down for it I'd be thrilled to get involved in some stories in both ISS and the fantasy rpg!
Lucianchildofthemoon
Mosquito
Mosquito

Postby The Kingpin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:55 am

Welcome to the site, Lucian. Don't mind the silence in here. Some of us [myself included] tend not to watch everything, so we miss some posts here and there. And by all means, jump right in. ISS is fairly easy to get involved in a scene in, since there's no particular isolation of areas beyond thicker jungle near the centre, more plains near the edges, and a couple of rivers, lagoons and swamps spread out depending on the environment. you could have yourself wandering through general forest and odds are someone will intercept and interact. Now whether it's friendly or combative is another matter entirely, but that's what RPGs are all about. Unpredictable and fun :)

As for FRPG [or Lore of Leyuna/LoLRPG], you could have your character wandering across a plain or an isolated road or a forest or whatever. It's generally a better idea to have people come to you in that RPG, at least until you get your bearings. Lots of specific locations so it's probably wiser to do some background reading on a place before having your character/s pop up there, or simply let others come to you and lead.
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 134Wolf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Hello everyone, I'm 134Wolf, I have been RPing for... About two or three years now, but only recently got back into it, so I am quite rusty. I am interested in writing, history about World War II and the vehicles and tanks that took place in the ground combat in it, gaming, fishing, animals of any kind (Includes Dinosaurs) and soccer (Football for anyone living outside of the US). I am looking forward to getting back into RPing, and I don't think there is anywhere better to do so!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
134Wolf
Worm
Worm

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:13 am

Welcome to RPGTopia, Wolf. Do feel free to make yourself at home, and don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions. PMing me at any time will get you an answer within half a day on most days. Faster if I happen to be active at the time :P

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Ailuromancer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm

My name is Ailuromancer and I am an alcoholic-- wait, what? This isn't one of those kinds of introductions? Very well!

As I said, I am Ailuromancer, which means "Manipulator of Cats." Judging by how a majority of you write and RP, I'm sure you're smart enough to know that! Anyway, I have been looking for a place to RP for a while now (3 months, actually) and I watched a lot of JPOG videos when I was younger, including ones involving Crusher and the website. But... now I'm here, thanks to those videos, and I hope the site is still thriving like it was back then!
Ailuromancer
Worm
Worm

Postby saurus172 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I'd have to say from what I can tell that even though most of us haven't come on in forever, we are still active and we all welcome you open arms, flippers, or whatever else we have! Welcome to the family Ailuromancer!
saurus172
House fly
House fly

Postby The Kingpin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Welcome to the Site, Ailuromancer :).

It's always refreshing to see new members coming in. I look forward to seeing what you have to contribute and gain interacting with the other members. Feel free to send me a Private Message [PM] if you have any questions.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby BorisTheSVTLoveHammR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 am

Wow, I haven't been here in forever. Shame the last post hasn't been since February, but maybe this'll get seen by another old-timer. I used to be UndeadRaptor on here.
BorisTheSVTLoveHammR
Worm
Worm

Postby The Kingpin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Yeah, things have been kinda quiet for a while. People got busy and things steadily fizzled out. I'm still around, but aside from me, the only other formerly active writer is currently off on a several month military training course. TT swings by on occasion, mostly just to zap bots, and I've kinda relegated my writing to private pieces with former members that allow us to go nuts without following restrictions or story points put forward in the RPGs prior.

So long story short, some of us are still writing, just not on the site. People have been too busy to keep going on that, unfortunately. Granted, CS might pick up FRPG with me again down the line when he gets back. Until then though, while I'm still up for writing if I were to get the following needed to sustain it, I don't really have the aforementioned following.

Still watching though. And more than willing to chat. I've been working on setting up a Discord for us. But I've only managed to get a hold of about 5 of the members, and at least a couple of them haven't expressed much interest since Discord defeats the purpose of the site.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Raptor Llama » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Haven't been on here in a while. Looks like I stopped around the time I was a freshman in High School. Now I have a Bachelor's.

Hope you've all been well. I feel I should apologize for being an annoying teenager haha. I know I could be a bit much.

How've y'all been?
"Insert a really cool quote that makes me appear cool and wise and make it italicized to make it look quoteish here." - Raptor Llama
Raptor Llama
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:16 am

We've been well thanks, RL. I was in the US on holiday around the time you posted, so sorry for the super late reply.

Things are well, but quiet, as you can see. The situation in my last post is pretty much the same, though CS is back online and we're discussing FRPG [or rather, LoLRPG] and possible plans to pick it up again and resume writing.

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Dinosaur1993! » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:32 am

Hey guys,

It’s Supernerd/LV-426

Created a new account, since I couldn’t remember my previous login information, and due to the fact I don’t use that email anymore.

I see the site isn’t as active as it use to be, but if you guys are willing I’m more than willing to join a game. I’ve been trying to get back into rpging and have even looked into table top games. Specifically Werewolf the Apocalypse. Anyway, sorry to ramble.

Hope to see you guys
Dinosaur1993!
Worm
Worm

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:41 am

Oh my good lord, someone that isn't KP or CS posted. It's a unicorn!

Welcome back, LV. It's true, place is pretty much a ghost town. But it's good to see you're still kicking.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

"The future is always uncertain and painful but it must be lived." ~ Unknown
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Dinosaur1993! » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 am

I’m shocked anyone responded haha.

I’m still ticking.

It’s a shame it’s so slow, but I understand. Life happens and people move on. Hopefully it picks up again one day. I had a lot of good times on this site.
Dinosaur1993!
Worm
Worm

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am

I still peek in every once in a very long while. I think KP has a Discord with some of the old members on it, if you'd like to reconnect with some people.

I don't know if RPGT will ever be as busy as it used to be again, but we all had a good run of it, in the end.
"Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come."
"Talent is a pursued interest. In other words, anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." ~ Bob Ross

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Dinosaur1993! » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:11 am

Yeah I saw that he mentioned that.

I haven’t really peeked in here since 2016. Before that I would check in periodically, but I stopped really interacting around 2011.

That’s true. Honestly, my time here really helped my writing skills and it’s what made me interested in becoming an author.
Dinosaur1993!
Worm
Worm

Postby Hopeflower » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:19 am

I stopped being really active when I went to college, myself. I just didn't have the time or energy to write as actively alongside studying for a state board exam.

That's really cool! Anything interesting in the works?

Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Dinosaur1993! » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 am

What are you majoring in?

I’m working on two projects right now.

1. A series of short stories about a world where the supernatural and humans have coexisted for millennia. The story follows a caseworker who’s been assigned to keep tabs on a local werewolf pack. He works for The Federal Bureau of Supernatura Affairs. Think the DMV, but it moniters cryptids and other supernatural entities. Werewolves are basically the cops of this world. They help the government keep other supernatural creatures in line.

Think What We Do in the Shadows meets The Office. It’s pretty comedic in nature, but by the end takes a somewhat serious turn.

2. A horror film about gay conversion therapy.
Dinosaur1993!
Worm
Worm

Postby The Kingpin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:44 am

That former project sounds like it takes a bit of inspiration from The Wolf Among Us, too.

I'm really glad that the site has had the impact it has on you. In the end, that was the hope. I wanted a place that was fun and useful. Something you could immerse yourself in and forget the world, that you could come out the other side saying it's benefitted you.

But as mentioned further up, I honestly doubt the site will be able to come back to a truly active state. What's happened is a combination of a couple of things. The first is that most of the members have moved on to different things. The only ones still writing are you, me, HF and CS. CS is off doing his own thing atm and honestly, writes at a pace I no longer have the energy to keep up with consistently. HF and I write on and off in Google Docs projects that are largely offshoots of FRPG.

The second thing that's happened is that Forums as a platform for younger users for things like roleplay are dying out. There are more reactive, more popular platforms that have come into existence that serve the same role but are much less bulky. Discord, for instance. I could, in theory, fully transition RPGT to Discord with zero problems. The only real problem would be the word count limit per post, but that could be worked around.

So yeah, I hate to admit it, but the way things are going now, a combination of life's responsibilities and technology has just made the RPGTopia webforum obsolete. I'll keep checking in, of course. I'll keep posting if there's enough ways to plausibly interact. But if it's just two or three people, it's only delaying the inevitable. We'd need about 5 to keep a cohesive, multi-faceted RP story going. Otherwise it's more a collaborative fiction than a roleplay. Which, don't get me wrong, is still a perfectly valid writing approach. But it's not something webforums are well suited for. There are better ways to do it [like Google Docs, for instance].

If this were 5-8 years ago I'd probably have grumbled about this not being the right topic for it. But eh. Another issue of forums is that it's so cumbersome when conversations drift away from the original topic. So **** it. We're here for now. We can move over to the Random topic going forward from here. :U

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Previous

Return to Off-Topic