Cryptozoologic Books

Like books? Talk about them here!

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:17 am

Last I heard, it was a hoax. Even so, there must be more than one, ho would it be able to survive all of these years? When the thing was moving, I actually thought I saw a long neck with two front flippers prowling through the water. Too bad Steve Irwin aint around to witness it, he'd jump right in there and bring that thing up!
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Hopeflower » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:54 am

The flipper shot? No hoax. The famous neck-and-head shot? Yep. Done by some guy who gave it to another guy, who claimed all the credit. Later on, the guy who took the photo confessed it was all a lie.

And mega raptor, Loch Ness is deeper than the submarines could go. Ever think that there might be a body or bones on the bottom? There is no way a submarine reached the bottom of Loch Ness. -scoffs- People would have to be insane to try it. -blinks- And anyways, there's an even amount of debate. It's still open for discussion whtether or not Nessie exists, even after 1500 years.

And on the Steve Irwin thing: Probably. Too bad he died...I'm still not really over the whole shock of his death, even months after it happened.
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:54 am

Oh my bad, yeah it was shock to us too (I am Australian). And yet it was the least expected thing of all that killed him. I was just trying to think of what he might do in the situation.

Anyways, I still would like to believe the monster i alive but there has to be a big bit of evidence. There would need to be a movie or photograph of a body actually rising to the surface.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Hopeflower » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Yeah. But still, that thing in the video DOES look an awful lot like a large eel, don't you think? Moving on: There was a whole bunch of specials on the National Geographic channel. Apparently, people are still chasing after Bigfoot. -amused expression- Honestly, that's been proven fake, yet people still refuse to accept the fact that Bigfoot just doesn't exist.

(OFF TOPIC: -slight grin- Bet Steve would love to be a part of the debate on Nessie. He'd probably be the only one serious enough to try scaling the bottom of the Loch. Really couldn't believe it when my sister crashed into my room yelling, 'Steve Irwin's dead!' I kept telling myself: "Just a dream. Just a bad dream." But no, he's really gone. The whole world will miss him.)
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Yeah but look at the video again, when you see the "form" going through the water. You would notice two odd shaps at the back of it like flippers before going under the boat.

(Yeah I was shocked at this, and on that fateful day we were all joking around about the guy cause everyone teased Steve Irwin. And then I get home, find out he's dead. I was even more suprised a Stingray got him, I guess the ray was having a very bad day. Seemed really pissed off. Poor Steve).
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby mega raptor » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Hopeflower wrote:And mega raptor, Loch Ness is deeper than the submarines could go. Ever think that there might be a body or bones on the bottom? There is no way a submarine reached the bottom of Loch Ness.

Wrong, at its deepest point, the Loch is only about 750 feet deep, easily reachable by a submarine.

And once again, why have we yet to find a body, or fossils, or anything of any one of these things? Nessie is supposedly a Plesiosaur, which means she needs to come up for air, so why don't we see it more often? Why don't we occasionally find a body washed up on the shore-after all, carcasses tend to float, and it should be washed onto the beach by the current. And how do a family of these things survive on the fish in Loch Ness? And Plesiosaurs were cold blooded, they needed to live in warm, tropical locations, but Loch Ness's water are only about 42 degrees Farenheit. And, I must ask, how did one of these things survive from the Age of Dinosaurs, 65 million years ago, to live in Loch Ness?
It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Hopeflower » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Hm, I did see the fins. Maybe a fish? I really don't know, but the chances of that really being the Loch Ness Monster are...somewhere between slim and none. How lucky would you have to be to actually see Nessie? Your chance of that is about the same as winning the lottery--one in about seven million.

(My grandma always said, 'Someday a croc's gonna get that crazy Australian guy!' I never believed her, until he actually died. And so close to the third remembering of 9/11! A real blow for all of us.)
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Legendary Elite » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Exactly the point i am raising here. Has ANYONE seen the monster breathing, eating (some couple a long few years back saw a sheep being dragged into the Loch), even possibly breeding? The chances of ever seeing its full body size are 1-0%.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby TyrantTR » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 pm

I found an interesting article here on possibilites.

Science can offer no positive explanation for the sightings, other than optical illusions, misinterpretation of natural phenomena. Many such sightings may actually be due to little known weather phenomena such as "mini" waterspouts.

Judging distance, size and motion of an object in the sea is extremely difficult. Objects on land can be compared to nearby trees, fences or buildings. In the water only the waves offer a clue to scale and the size of waves vary enormously depending on weather conditions.

The movement of the waves can also suggest motion where there is none. Arthur Adams, a ship's surgeon in the 1860's, spotted what appeared to be a mysterious creature moving through the water by using lateral undulations of it's body. His ship's course was altered to intercept the animal and capture it. When they approached the thing Adam's wrote:

"By this time, however, a closer and more critical inspection had taken place, and the supposed sea monster had turned himself into a long, dark root, gnarled and twisted, of a tree, secured to the moorings of a fishing net, with a strong tide passing it rapidly, and thus giving it an apparent life-like movement and serpentine aspect."

Some sea monster reports may not involve just unusual creatures, but usual conditions. Right before a storm at sea, air of two different temperatures can form layers just above the surface of the sea. Perhaps seven or eight feet above the waves. The different density of the two layers can cause light to bounce forming a mirage. In this case the mirage causes objects to be elongated, vertically, but not horizontally. Seals, whales and dolphins breaking the surface under these conditions will appear as thin, tall, unknown creatures.

Norse men often spotted these creatures and took their appearance as an omen warning of an impending storm. Because of the strange atmospheric conditions, rather than anything supernatural, this warning was accurate.

To humans, who have limited exploration of the great depths, the underwater world is filled with mysteries and secrets. A sailor who has been at sea for months could be tempted to stretch an episode to make for a more exciting retelling. Exaggeration may even happen unintentionally. Already equipped with active imaginations, people can easily mistake one thing for another, especially when emotions, such as fear or boredom, are added into the mix.

Interesting no?
TyrantTR
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Postby The Kingpin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:35 pm

well, it's true. water does all sorts of things. it's fun just to watch the water and look at what the waves do to some things. it's calming, and interesting to watch. a net can look like a large fish, a shoal of fish can look like a shark or rock, a rock or random object can look like a strange, almost supernatural creature. and sometimes, you come across all sorts of strange things [once, when i was 9, i was standing in warm, shallow waters, and i saw a pair of eyes swim up to my feet. at first, i thought it was a shark, and went absolutely still, knowing through the tons of books i've read that sharks can sense movement, and that if i stayed still, chances were it wouldn't see me. when it turned around, i realised it was a stingray, and worried even more, since i knew that the barb on it's tail was poisonous, and that it was razor sharp, meaning i'd be hurt even if it scraped me. a few seconds later, it turned away and swam off. that's one of 3 very close encounters i've had. other examples include nearly getting bitten by a Cobra in Thailand, and nearly getting stung by a Black Scorpion in the Kuwaiti Desert]
"Ah yes, organised chaos. the sign of a clever but ever-busy mind. To the perpetrator, a carefully woven web of belongings and intrigue, but to the bystander? Madness!"
–William Beckett, Lore of Leyuna RPG

The Kingpin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Hopeflower » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:48 am

-half raises eyebrow- That's impressive. You could be the next Steve Irwin.

That thing in the video looks more like a fish than a 20-foot monster. It's kind of pathetic what people will try to make look like Nessie. There was a really bad piture I saw. When it was scanned by computers, it was revealed to be a Golden Retriever fetching a stick.
Hopeflower
Titanium Shortcake
Titanium Shortcake

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:03 am

KP being stung by a scorpian, OW! Closest ive been was a snake in Africa who just told me to get away.
Golden retriver and a stick LOL. Most bigfoot sightings turn out to be a very hairy guy out for a walk.
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

Postby Legendary Elite » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:30 am

I don't believe in Bigfoot. Someone really needs to actually tranquilize the monster first. Same with Nessie, someone needs to actually get DOWN there and wrestle it Steve Irwin style cause his method was awesome. And then we would know whether it was a mirage or a gigantic Jurassic fish eater with a neck so long, it could snatch a bird from the sky. If it was a plesiosaur, it would be some of the time be clambering onto land to rest.

They even tried to bomb the lake once but nothing happened. No sign of a dead plesiosaur floated up. At this moment, I'd only believe Nessie along with other mythical monsters existed if I saw actual evidence one specimen has been successfully captured.

There have been sightings of a North American cousin to Nessie. Same thing, the shape in the water moving. And there have been sightings of a monstrous tadpole thing swimming past.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby mega raptor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:32 am

Yes, and there have also been reports of flying snakes, giant swimming centipedes, and reptilian humanoids that formed the Illuminati and are breeding with humans so that they can shape-shift into world leaders... what's your point?

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a whimper. - T.S. Eliot
mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Legendary Elite » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:37 am

Ok, I don't know anything about giant swimming centipedes or a reptillian humanoid race bent on world domination but i do know flying snakes. There is an actual snake that is called a Flying Snake. It lives in Indonesia. It hunts by leaping out from trees and glides downward. It does exist. But the one you are thinking is probably in myth, you mean one with wings etc don't ya?
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby mega raptor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:45 am

No, what I am talking about is a reported chinese-serpant like creature that seems to be floating, almost swiming through the air without wings.

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Legendary Elite » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:48 am

Ah, has it been captured on film, or TV?

You might as well say it's a dragon then, a chinese dragon like in their legends.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby mega raptor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:24 am

Nope. Just a few random people have supposedly seen it.

mega raptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Legendary Elite » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 am

Oh ok then.
Legendary Elite
Banned

Postby Doc 42 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:39 pm

Imagine if it was discovered that nessie didnt exist? the area surronding loch ness would losr millions of pounds in tourisim. Best to leave legends to legends
Doc 42
Cool Guy Moderator
Cool Guy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Books